Gun permit, licens

kneebendingfools

2 minutes ago, kneebendingfools said:

Yes, but its not so apealing to me to do something illegal, especially since I am a guest here.

But thanks anyway.

Bless you.

Obviously not, I had you pegged as the law abiding citizen you obviously are, I was speaking purely hypothetically.

There's always ways around every issue.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

In most countries, people don't have guns to "defend" themselves.

What do they have to defend themselves? There are guns in every country, legal or not, and in the ones where you can't own them, others still have them illegally.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

For Thais.....

For a Thai citizen to obtain a gun license in Thailand, they must follow a stringent legal process. Here is a step-by-step overview of the requirements and procedures involved:

### 1. **Eligibility Criteria:**
   - **Residency:** The applicant must have a permanent residence in Thailand. This generally means having a registered address and living in the area where they are applying for the license.
   - **Criminal Record:** The applicant must have a clean criminal record, particularly free of any serious offenses or violent crimes.
   - **Mental Health:** The applicant must be mentally sound and not have a history of mental illness or substance abuse.

### 2. **Valid Reasons for Ownership:**
   - **Self-Defense:** The applicant must demonstrate a clear need for a firearm for self-defense.
   - **Protection of Property:** Owning a firearm for protecting property, such as a business, can be considered.
   - **Hunting or Sport:** Firearms for hunting or sporting purposes may also be permitted.
   - **Occupational Need:** Occupations that may require the use of a firearm, such as certain security roles, may justify ownership.

### 3. **Required Documents:**
   - **National ID Card:** A copy of the Thai national ID card.
   - **House Registration:** Proof of permanent residence (a copy of the house registration document).
   - **Proof of Occupation:** Documentation of employment or business registration, especially if the firearm is for occupational reasons.
   - **Criminal Background Check:** Certificate from the police confirming a clean criminal record.
   - **Medical Certificate:** A medical certificate indicating mental and physical fitness, often from a government hospital.

### 4. **Application Process:**
   - **Local District Office:** The applicant must apply at the local district office (Amphoe) where they reside. They will need to fill out an application form (usually form Por 1) and submit all required documents.
   - **Background Checks:** The authorities will conduct thorough background checks, including verifying the applicant's criminal record and mental health status.
   - **Interview or Evaluation:** In some cases, the applicant may be required to attend an interview or evaluation to justify the need for a firearm.
   - **Waiting Period:** The application process can take several weeks to several months as the authorities review the application.

### 5. **Approval and Licensing:**
   - If the application is approved, the applicant will receive a gun license (Por 3), which allows them to purchase a firearm. 
   - After purchasing a firearm, the owner must register it with the authorities and obtain a firearm registration certificate (Por 4).

### 6. **Restrictions and Conditions:**
   - The license specifies the type of firearm the owner is allowed to possess.
   - Carrying firearms in public places is generally prohibited unless specifically authorized. Most licenses only permit the possession of the firearm at home or on private property.

### 7. **Penalties for Non-Compliance:**
   - Possessing a firearm without a valid license is a serious crime in Thailand, resulting in severe penalties, including imprisonment and fines.

### Summary:
Obtaining a gun license in Thailand as a Thai citizen involves meeting strict eligibility criteria, providing thorough documentation, and undergoing a detailed application process. The government closely regulates firearm ownership to ensure public safety.

Translation: Only the rich and powerful have them. 

Even if you would be able to obtain a gun legally in Thailand, you still wouldn't be able to carry it with you while going to the shops or to school , since Thailand doesn't have the liberal gun carry laws the US has.

So at most you could keep it in your home, if you were able to get it legally.

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I'm sure you're a really brave and highly trained guy with lots of combat experience, but a teacher with a 9mm handgun, which he might have shot once at the range (if that), is unlikely to be steady when confronting someone with an AR-15 and a 30 rd mag filled with 5.56 NATO ammo leaving the barrel at 3200 fpm. Teacher's MOA might be triple digits, and he or she is as likely to hit another child as the perp.

As for guns in Thailand, your chance of winning the 6 number lottery is much greater than you ever being anywhere near a crazed shooter. It doesn't happen 'all the time'. Yes, there was an incident in Siam Paragon a while back, but I doubt YOU with a handgun in a shopping mall with 25,000 shoppers all around would make the place any safer.

Real 'tough guys' just charge the shooter and disarm him, so get yourself a pair of Nikes and be ready to sprint.

Thanks for the answer, I both agree and disagree and I think you know about what.

On my way to get thos Nikes.. ;)

1 hour ago, kneebendingfools said:

Yes, 

imagine if the first adult that had eyes on that shooting lunatic had a firearm and begun to fire at the bastard while others call the police.

I am sure many lifes would have been saved.

Amen!

"...imagine if the first adult that had eyes on that shooting lunatic had a firearm..."

Nothing was stopping those US citizens from having firearms, was there?

8 minutes ago, kneebendingfools said:

zero times, but i would not hezitate if i had to do it.

Don't be so sure, Rambo. You might 'hezitate'.

If you've never heard a shot fired in anger, or had anyone shoot at you, you have absolutely no idea how you would react if it happened, and will not know until it happens (which it probably never will).

Relax. Smell the nam pla.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Walker88 said:

Don't be so sure, Rambo. You might 'hezitate'.

If you've never heard a shot fired in anger, or had anyone shoot at you, you have absolutely no idea how you would react if it happened, and will not know until it happens (which it probably never will).

Relax. Smell the nam pla.

You are right about that brother.

Wise words indeed.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

To be fair, you might have accidentally hit upon something there.....555

Japan has high rates of mental illness also...but they don't have easy access to guns...so...

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Japan, UK, most northern EU countries......even Switzerland where gun ownership is very high you never 'see' guns.

Ok, regarding Switzerland, there are a lot of guns then, right?

Northern EU countries??? Aaaaahhh! I am from Sweden, and I know how many guns there are there. I have numerous times been sitting in bars and nightclubs where someone have pulled out a gun under the table. I think even Agda 93 up in Norrland will have a rifle on the wall and a gun in the drawer. 😉 

UK, yeah! As the police almost not use any guns, the criminals will not feel the need for it either. However, we all know there are many gun lying around waiting to be used.

The Japan should not have any guns, is somehow a very strange to read. There are a lot of guns in japan. However, the Yakuza mostly prefer to stay with the culture and use the way of the sword.

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, regarding Switzerland, there are a lot of guns then, right?

Northern EU countries??? Aaaaahhh! I am from Sweden, and I know how many guns there are there. I have numerous times been sitting in bars and nightclubs where someone have pulled out a gun under the table. I think even Agda 93 up in Norrland will have a rifle on the wall and a gun in the drawer. 😉 

UK, yeah! As the police almost not use any guns, the criminals will not feel the need for it either. However, we all know there are many gun lying around waiting to be used.

The Japan should not have any guns, is somehow a very strange to read. There are a lot of guns in japan. However, the Yakuza mostly prefer to stay with the culture and use the way of the sword.

japan is a prime example of how society should manage the existence of guns......

Japan tackled gun crime through a combination of strict gun control laws, rigorous enforcement, and a cultural approach that emphasizes public safety:

1. Strict Gun Control Laws: Japan’s Firearm and Sword Possession Control Law makes it extremely difficult to own a gun. Only shotguns and air rifles are allowed, and handguns are strictly prohibited.

2. Rigorous Licensing Process: The process to obtain a firearm is lengthy, including background checks, mental health evaluations, drug tests, and mandatory training. Licenses must be renewed regularly.

3. Strict Storage and Usage Regulations: Owners must store firearms and ammunition separately, report to the police where they are stored, and allow for annual inspections. Usage is highly restricted, and misuse results in severe penalties.

4. Police Authority: The Japanese police have the authority to search and seize illegal firearms actively. They also conduct annual checks on licensed gun owners to ensure compliance with the law.

5. Cultural Attitudes: There is a cultural stigma against gun ownership in Japan, where public safety and collective well-being are highly valued. This cultural factor further discourages gun ownership and usage.

This comprehensive approach has led to one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world.

43 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I'm sure you're a really brave and highly trained guy with lots of combat experience, but a teacher with a 9mm handgun, which he might have shot once at the range (if that), is unlikely to be steady when confronting someone with an AR-15 and a 30 rd mag filled with 5.56 NATO ammo leaving the barrel at 3200 fpm. Teacher's MOA might be triple digits, and he or she is as likely to hit another child as the perp.

As for guns in Thailand, your chance of winning the 6 number lottery is much greater than you ever being anywhere near a crazed shooter. It doesn't happen 'all the time'. Yes, there was an incident in Siam Paragon a while back, but I doubt YOU with a handgun in a shopping mall with 25,000 shoppers all around would make the place any safer.

Real 'tough guys' just charge the shooter and disarm him, so get yourself a pair of Nikes and be ready to sprint.

More likely a 7.62 AK but yes, like that. And think about the teachers that would put it in the drawer for the kids to take it. I would not want to carry it all day while herding children.

• Agree 1