Wise removes Long Stay Reason on Transfers

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

I did a Wise transfer from UK three days ago and funds for long term stay in Thailand was still there at the bottom of the list. 

I would suggest it is not there now.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Captor said:

And what payment method??

Does it really matter what method you use to get your USD/GDB/EUR into your Wise account?

Once it's in there, you can either convert it there and then into say THB if the rate is better/good and send it as THB to THB, or let Wise convert it on the day you send it. 

The cost is roughly the same.

So now we must put for Buying Property instead of Long Term Stay?

Edited by KannikaP

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does it really matter what method you use to get your USD/GDB/EUR into your Wise account?

Once it's in there, you can either convert it there and then into say THB if the rate is better/good and send it as THB to THB, or let Wise convert it on the day you send it. 

The cost is roughly the same.

So now we must put for Buying Property instead of Long Term Stay?

Are we talking about wise ACCOUNT? I was thinking it's about transfers. I transfer money all the time without having a wise ACCOUNT were I can park money. And different options comes up with different payment methods. But I am not if different reasons comes up. Hence my question.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BrandonJT said:

Already widely discussed on Facebook groups.  Wise has said to use the option for purchasing property if you want it to show as international.

But its illegal for farang to buy property in Thailand?  Might be all fine and dandy today but 6 months down the road you got the entire Thai S.W.A.T. kicking your door down searching for this illegaly obtained property.  Id want to check a bit further before I pressed that button.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Man Mart said:

I emailed Wise yesterday about the difficulties and implications posed by their actions and requested them to reinstate the relevant phrase on their list. They have asked me to be patient whilst their team investigates the matter. The more people that complain to Wise to reinforce our concerns the better. It is not just  visa issues, but why should Thailand based clients be asked to tell “porkies” concerning purchase of property which may not be the legitimate reason behind any transfer in order to record an FTT transaction!

The problem has always been how Thai banks handle overseas transfers, which is out of Wise's control.

Bank branches do not have SWIFT codes, only the HQ branches do.

Irrespective of how you make a transfer, the funds will always go through the HQ's first, who then transfer it to your local branch.

Bangkok bank are the only bank that inform the branch it was 'International' hence getting an FTT (Foreign Telex Transfer) code in the passbook.

With other banks, such as Kasikorn and SCB it's usually coded as a 'domestic' or 'local' transfer in the passbook and you need to request a 'credit advice receipt' as evidence of an International transfer. If you request a 12-month statement from the HQ's though, they should state 'International' for the transfers.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Are we talking about wise ACCOUNT? I was thinking it's about transfers. I transfer money all the time without having a wise ACCOUNT were I can park money. And different options comes up with different payment methods. But I am not if different reasons comes up. Hence my question.

You MUST have a Wise account and Customer number to be able to transfer funds and out in various currencies.

You do not have to keep a balance in any of them, but I think it would be better if you did.

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

You MUST have a Wise account to be able to transfer funds and out in various currencies.

There are multiple methods to transfer funds overseas.

Not everyone has to provide evidence of monthly overseas transfers.

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

There are multiple methods to transfer funds overseas.

Not everyone has to provide evidence of monthly overseas transfers.

I was answering Captor, who said that he did not have a Wise ASCOUNT as such.

And answering this post of yours, you're rather stating the obvious.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

But its illegal for farang to buy property in Thailand?  Might be all fine and dandy today but 6 months down the road you got the entire Thai S.W.A.T. kicking your door down searching for this illegaly obtained property.  Id want to check a bit further before I pressed that button.

You need to do some more research 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Bank branches do not have SWIFT codes, only the HQ branches do.

Irrespective of how you make a transfer, the funds will always go through the HQ's first, who then transfer it to your local branch.

So if you do a Wise transfer, and it arrives immediately, has it gone through the SWIFT process at Bank HQ before it arrives in your Branch account. I think not.

Previously (for the past 7 years), clicking Long Stay or Property Purchase added one day onto the transfer time, most other options were instant.