Golden week: Chinese tourists to Thailand dip as baht bites

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chinese tourist numbers during the upcoming Golden Week holiday are anticipated to be lower than expected, influenced by a strong baht and China’s sluggish economy, which are limiting tourist spending. This trend is also prompting other international visitors to negotiate lower service prices.

It's all surges and dips.. one day to the next.... 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The strong baht may deter Chinese tourists, causing them to view Thailand as a less valuable destination and opt for alternatives like Japan, reported Bangkok Post.

Are they serious? Chinese people hate Japanese people. they are taught as children to hate them. Let a Japanese tourist go to China and they will find the Chinese trying to hurt them. 

• Agree 2

The strong baht may have something to do with it but I also think it's a case of Thailand not being as much of a trendy destination these days. Bali seems to be their preferred destination and as we know the Chinese travel in groups...l

13 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

The strong baht may have something to do with it but I also think it's a case of Thailand not being as much of a trendy destination these days. Bali seems to be their preferred destination and as we know the Chinese travel in groups...l

Totally. Chinese tourists are now the number one nationality travelling to Japan. https://statistics.jnto.go.jp/en/graph/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could it be as much a cause really by all the recent "bad press" about alleged misbehavior and violence by foreign tourists and/or by Thais in response to foreign tourists in areas like Phuket and Pattaya?

I also thought that Thailand as a recent supporter of BRIC currency (Brazil, Russia, India, China) was expecting little currency volatility as compared to the USD used as international currency.

If indeed Chinese tourism is affected directly by the value of the baht, then Thailand being associated with BRIC would seem a mistake. I expect China will disagree with the idea that baht volatility is the cause for lower Chinese tourism in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Actually, more than 60% of Chinese visitors to Thailand are traveling independently, and not in groups.  

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The source estimated that around 30,000 Chinese tourists would arrive daily in Thailand during the holiday, compared to 40,000 daily arrivals in 2019.

No matter how they spin it & what window dressing used, numbers have never made it back to pre flu from Wuhan province, days. Given continued economic problems in China no real expectation that it will this year or next. 

15 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Probably more countries will follow most people come here for a lot of bang for your buck if it doesn't devalue exports and tourism will suffer a lot if tourists are choosing Vietnam over Thailand

And then fewer long stay expats comes due to the new tax in addition.

Now who was it that came on a thread a few days ago saying no one in their right minds would consider changing their holiday plans because of the baht exchange rate......any takers???

Edited by Will B Good

35 minutes ago, newnative said:

Actually, more than 60% of Chinese visitors to Thailand are traveling independently, and not in groups.  

Agree, any of my ex-students who have travelled to Thailand have travelled as independent travellers, none have come in organised groups.

I brought a suitcase back from Vietnam just full of groceries. I have easily paid for the flight alone several times in savings for stables for a few months. Thailand has now missed out on taxing this income that was never bought into Thailand and the revenue from spending locally. Everytime someone from Europe visits there's a handful of things they bring with them that are far cheaper over there (even things made in Thailand and Asia). I imagine the increased cost of Thailand thesedays is putting off a lot of tourists from returning as there's so many other options with more value.

• Agree 1