Getting a credit card

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Krungthai Bank merged with Thai Military Bank?  When did that happen?

It was Thanachart that merged with TMB. I had a Thanachart account so I was affected by the merger.

Kasikorn used to be called Thai Farmers Bank. Maybe the poster got confused by the name change of one bank and the merger of two different banks.

49 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Krungthai Bank merged with Thai Military Bank?  When did that happen?

It was Thanachart that merged with TMB

I know, hence my rhetorical question to him.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In most countries the merchant must eat that cost and are prohibited from passing it on to you, the situation in Thailand is not so clear cut, while merchant agreements may say that they cannot pass the cost+profit on to the customers the actual situation is that many do.

Agreed and understandable, but processing fees for domestic debit cards is minimal at %0.55, domestic credit cards %2-2.5, and internation credit cards %2.8-3. Why they insist on charging a whopping %5 extra which is above and beyond their fees is a mystery. (well not really - it's just greed). I just use cash or QR payment with such merchants because there's no way I'm padding their bottom line beyond their fee cost. Really annoying practice that DOES break their merchant agreement (they do say they are not allowed to charge extra to use cards - they just ignore it).

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/business/sme/financial-services/collection-solutions/pages/edc.aspx

30 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Agreed and understandable, but processing fees for domestic debit cards is minimal at %0.55, domestic credit cards %2-2.5, and internation credit cards %2.8-3. Why they insist on charging a whopping %5 extra which is above and beyond their fees is a mystery.

Again no mystery, just plain economic reality and little to do with greed.

The card company charges a variable fee that can go as high as 4% (it depends on a number of factors but 4% it possible). But of course that is just one of the associated costs there are paperwork, accounting and record keeping costs involved. Once you analyse everything it is quite possible that overall the business makes little to no extra profit specially since they have to average out the expenses 

30 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Really annoying practice that DOES break their merchant agreement (they do say they are not allowed to charge extra to use cards - they just ignore it).

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/business/sme/financial-services/collection-solutions/pages/edc.aspx

Whilst that maybe a requirement, there is nothing I see in the provided link that supports your statement. 

On 9/28/2024 at 9:15 AM, HampiK said:

I think some years ago it was easier as almost everything which has something to do with banking.

My first unsecured credit card in Thailand (without a work permit) I became in 2011.

Just a few month ago when I asked to open an additional account at K-Bank, they needed much more paperwork.

Especially the TIN (Tax Identifcation Number) seemed to be very new for opening a new account. I not sure if this is everywhere or only some branches. But it seems it become more and more complicated. 10 years ago or more, you could walk with a 30 day visa excempt stamp in the bank and could open an account at many different banks. Now I think this is almost impossible (there are maybe still a few branches which do this).

Bangkok Bank also wanted TIN recently. Was at Central Embassy branch.

On 9/28/2024 at 9:15 AM, HampiK said:

I think some years ago it was easier as almost everything which has something to do with banking.

My first unsecured credit card in Thailand (without a work permit) I became in 2011.

Just a few month ago when I asked to open an additional account at K-Bank, they needed much more paperwork.

Especially the TIN (Tax Identifcation Number) seemed to be very new for opening a new account. I not sure if this is everywhere or only some branches. But it seems it become more and more complicated. 10 years ago or more, you could walk with a 30 day visa excempt stamp in the bank and could open an account at many different banks. Now I think this is almost impossible (there are maybe still a few branches which do this).

Bangkok Bank also wanted TIN recently. Was at Central Embassy branch.