Not-on-Tinder: I met some super nice guy yesterday in CM. A man with some class! Amazing.

Dear Folks,

After a very long dry spell, yesterday I happened to meet a really nice OLD Guy in CM, one who has been kicking around Asia, HK, China....and these parts, for almost as long as I.

This guy had been a businessman, a manufacturer and exporter, but he was not only that....

He had a bit of class, and he exuded class from every pore.....so obviously.

You know, Folks.....

It is not that I actually ENJOY living alone like a FING hermit, or anything.

It's just that I rarely meet anyone who has a touch of class.....and someone who measures up to my standards.

Therefore, I ask you:

Where might I meet another small few who are just about the same as he....the one I met yesterday evening?

Sure, about a few years ago, I would occasionally run into some guys who had come to CM to give a lecture, or to do some sort of Thesis Advising for their students, who were doing research in CM....

Yet....it has always been a rarity, during my over-12 years in CM....to actually meet up with men like this.

I don't like to meet up with old women of class, of course....

Those old bags are just a total turnoff for the likes of me.

You know what?

I was even thinking of joining the local Synagogue, just to find some thinking People, even though I am not Jewish.

I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood.

And, I get on with the Jews of America far better than with my "own" people, in fact.

I once asked a good friend of mine from NYC, a linguistics prof, if it might be possible for me to join the local synagogue in CM, just to meet up with the kind of People I enjoy sharing company with.

He told me that it would be too boring for me unless I spoke either Hebrew or Yiddish.

But still, I think I might have another go at it.

Do you know how I can meet some guys with a touch of class....and old guys...about my age, or....up to age 85?

I will never again use Tinder, of course.

But, guys like me, with a touch of class, never use Tinder, anyway.

If you think this might be a JOKE Topic, then I can tell you that you are completely mistaken.

What are your thoughts?

What is my best solution?

Best regards,

Gamma

Note:  We are social beings.  I like to associate with guys of class and intelligence, and guys who are refined.  But....HOW?

There must be very few here in Thailand, as far as I can see.

Yet....just one or two would be enough for me.

Thank you!

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No.

I do not scorn people who play golf, in fact.

If you wish to know the truth.

In the past, you have mocked the game of golf, and me for playing it.

Perhaps your memory of such posts is failing you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC you scorn people who play golf.

My grandfather was an orthopedic surgeon who remained devoted to the game of golf until the day he died, age 95.

Also, if I scorned the game of golf, then why would I have spent BIG BUCKS to buy a set of X31's, back in the mid-1970s?

image.png.4e30365409122b5bdcdfb627c3c3a2f6.png

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In the past, you have mocked the game of golf, and me for playing it.

Perhaps your memory of such posts is failing you.

Such mockery is just jokery, for me.....

I thought you understood this.

I even suffered a major golf injury when I tried to hit a 400-yard drive and suffered an umbilical hernia that cost me over USD5000.00 to repair, in the year 1989.

Maybe this is why I go easy on golf, these days.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My grandfather was an orthopedic surgeon who remained devoted to the game of golf until the day he died, age 95.

Also, if I scorned the game of golf, then why would I have spent BIG BUCKS to buy a set of X31's, back in the mid-1970s?

image.png.4e30365409122b5bdcdfb627c3c3a2f6.png

Wilson x31's are rated as a beginners' set. If you paid big bucks, someone saw you coming.

Perhaps you tried to play, were unsuccessful, hence your posts. It's a very common reaction of people who lack hand-eye co-ordination to call the game silly.

I also suspect you are fibbing with the photo. You say you bought those clubs mid - 1970's.

The driver head is quite clearly 460 cc. That head size did not come into drivers until the late 90's. and was regulated to a maximum of 460 cc by the USGA in 2004.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

He had a bit of class, and he exuded class from every pore.....so obviously.

So, why you are posting this, must mean you found yourself on unfamiliar territory. How did you deal with that experience?

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Wilson x31's are rated as a beginners' set. If you paid big bucks, someone saw you coming.

Perhaps you tried to play, were unsuccessful, hence your posts. It's a very common reaction of people who lack hand-eye co-ordination to call the game silly.

I also suspect you are fibbing with the photo. You say you bought those clubs mid - 1970's.

The driver head is quite clearly 460 cc. That head size did not come into drivers until the late 90's. and was regulated to a maximum of 460 cc by the USGA in 2004.

Are you trying to turn this into a golf thread?

Also, are you now reviewing the X31s of 1975?

Or, will you?

That was 50 FING years ago, after all.

The X31s of that time are NOT the same as the X31s of 2024.....in case you did not know, which I do know that you do know, unless your have forgotten what you now know.

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, why you are posting this, must mean you found yourself on unfamiliar territory. How did you deal with that experience?

Sorry...but...I do not understand your meaning.

Unfamiliar territory?

Such as?

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

FYI:  My grandfather's clubs looked very similar to these....

image.png.5aa819122331118c4ef18c03ee6298d4.png

He always shot under par.

Normally, about a 69 on a par 72 course.

It's not the club that makes the golpher....

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

As usual, Sir, when talking about golf....you are ONCE AGAIN...talking BALONEY!

You stated that the Wilson Staff were beginners' clubs....THIS....Sir...is PURE AND UTTER Baloney...as usual.....

image.png.6674c572aeb12446d0e19a32e8268c5e.png

Wilson Staff X31 irons and woods were expensive, back in the day.

They were ANYTHING.....BUT.... beginners' clubs.

You are just plain.....WRONG....ONCE MORE......

So...just check it out.....

And, finally, learn something useful.

How much they cost me....I forget....so please do not ask.

=============

Now, I will leave you to your FING PING, Sir.......

Because....PING are for DUFFERS.....For sure!

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

How does he find the time to come up with all the dumb post every day?

I'm a hermit.

Living as a hermit provides me with much time to do interesting things, and think interesting thoughts.

image.png.93ddc3b57936ed0b94aa414dedcfa992.png

image.png.d2e8c0d47cba846554f6dbb11c799cdf.png

What did you think?

How else would I have had all the time necessary to entertain you?

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 2

Dear Folks, 

I am not sure how we have gradually become sidetracked from the main Topic, and somehow misled into the discussion of Mr. L's favorite subject....golfphing.....

Let's hope we can return to our MAIN Topic of concern here, which is as I originally posted it....

Other than using Tinder, how can I find and meet and talk to.....

Super Nice Guys who have a touch of class, and guys who have also spent most of their lives in Asia, or, at least, have done much research and academic writing about Asia, preferably East Asia, with a minor in SE Asia.

Golphing is of NO interest to me.

Golphing is a waste of time, IMHO.

I am far more interested in meeting and listening to smart guys who have lived and worked in East Asia for over 40 years.

This is of most interest to me....

I like to talk to guys who have been here as long as I have.....

We can share stories together...or we can just talk about things of interest we recall during our very-long  stay in places like HK, Japan, Taiwan, and China....

Compared to this.....

Golphing is FING ......NOTHING!

I like hearing stories about other guys who have also done business in Asia.

And, I like hearing, especially, stories told buy researchers who are engaged in the study of various aspects of life in Asia, culture in Asia, modern history of Asia, and much more.

Where can I find these guys?

Actually, I think they do not exist, for the most part.

There are very few left.......

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Living as a hermit provides me with much time to do interesting things, and think interesting thoughts.

That is extremely unlikely and almost impossible to occur. In fact, all of your posts are a testament to that having never happened thus far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

all of your posts are a testament to

Please do not think that I am so obtuse that I did not pick up on your use of the word "testament"....is all that I am saying.

• Haha 1

The delusions, particularly the self importance is textbook perfect. It's as if someone read a textbook on geriatric mental health and then set out to mimic some of the conditions described in the textbook.

It's just that I rarely meet anyone who has a touch of class.....and someone who measures up to my standards.

That's nice, but does he measure up to their standards?  Do they want to associate with him?

I don't like to meet up with old women of class, of course.... Those old bags are just a total turnoff for the likes of me.

Spoken like a movie caricature of a frustrated old Queen.

This brings to mind a movie I have been wanting to see with some of my friends who are all Thai military veterans.  

Saving Private Tootsie (2002) -   A group of Katoeys (ladyboys) are caught in a border dispute after their plane crashes, when a group of six straight soldiers reluctantly takes on a mission to save them.  It starred the late Sorapong Chatree who was in the Ong Bak  and Beautiful Boxer movies.  

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Perhaps a change in medication to minimize the delusions?

• Love It 1

I met some super nice guy yesterday in CM. A man with some class! Amazing.

Compliments, @GammaGlobulin  on your courage to post about this topic.  I've often wondered, too.

Some years ago I was pleasantly surprised to see four men eating lunch together who were politely dressed, had pleasant manners, and were speaking in intelligible sentences.  I was very bold to go over and introduce myself.  And they were very friendly in return.  Too friendly.  Turns out they were strident "Jehovah's Witnesses", and immediately started trying to recruit me into their cult.  So disappointing.

The few meetups or other public functions I've attended (eg. a speaker meeting or a "classical music" concert or some expats club) have been a complete waste of time.

Sometimes, in a restaurant or at Rim Ping I look around at my fellow expats and wonder, "What am I doing here with this lot??"  In blogs about expat life in Thailand, and CM in particular, some of the more honest writers comment about short-comings of life here: smog season, Chinese hordes, aggravations at Immigration, large numbers of lesbians at CMU, etc.  But I've never seen anyone yet who mentions the quality of expats who wash up here.

I am one of those expats.  My solution?   As @GammaGlobulin seems to be doing, I've become an enthusiastic hermit.

3 minutes ago, Old Curmudgeon said:

Compliments, @GammaGlobulin  on your courage to post about this topic.  I've often wondered, too.

Some years ago I was pleasantly surprised to see four men eating lunch together who were politely dressed, had pleasant manners, and were speaking in intelligible sentences.  I was very bold to go over and introduce myself.  And they were very friendly in return.  Too friendly.  Turns out they were strident "Jehovah's Witnesses", and immediately started trying to recruit me into their cult.  So disappointing.

The few meetups or other public functions I've attended (eg. a speaker meeting or a "classical music" concert or some expats club) have been a complete waste of time.

Sometimes, in a restaurant or at Rim Ping I look around at my fellow expats and wonder, "What am I doing here with this lot??"  In blogs about expat life in Thailand, and CM in particular, some of the more honest writers comment about short-comings of life here: smog season, Chinese hordes, aggravations at Immigration, large numbers of lesbians at CMU, etc.  But I've never seen anyone yet who mentions the quality of expats who wash up here.

I am one of those expats.  My solution?   As @GammaGlobulin seems to be doing, I've become an enthusiastic hermit.

Lucky hermits don't have internet

2 minutes ago, Old Curmudgeon said:

My advice:

Never engage with any polite WHITE MEN on bicycles.....

image.png.4362f52ef605efd1d257449b88ae6066.png

Back in the day.....they were all COMPLETELY WHITE.....

Also, if you were to ever talk to one....

Their heads a full of nonsense.

They only SEEM friendly....but they are not.....

They all have some sort of AGENDA.......

NITWITS, IMHO....but I am a nitwit myself....so.....

No need to listen to me on this subject of White Men on Bicycles.....

Never engage with any polite WHITE MEN on bicycles.....

Nope.  Not the same.

Those boys on bicycles, wearing white shirts and dark ties, and with a black name badge, are Mormon missionaries.  Polite people.  Make good neighbors.  But not long-stay expats.  No interest in life here, beyond recruiting to the LDS church.

The men I mentioned in my post above, looked like businessmen from a small, mid-western city (USA), who were meeting for lunch together.  (I was a businessman from the mid-west, USA.)  When I went over to get acquainted, it NEVER occurred to me that they would be Jevoah's Witnesses on a mission.  Once they got started talking about their religious ideas, they couldn't stop themselves.  I walked away and they were still talking as I walked out the door.

Edited by Old Curmudgeon

15 minutes ago, Old Curmudgeon said:

Nope.  Not the same.

Those boys on bicycles, wearing white shirts and dark ties, and with a black name badge, are Mormon missionaries.  Polite people.  Make good neighbors.  But not long-stay expats.  No interest in life here, beyond recruiting to the LDS church.

The men I mentioned in my post above, looked like businessmen from a small, mid-western city (USA), who were meeting for lunch together.  (I was a businessman from the mid-west, USA.)  When I went over to get acquainted, it NEVER occurred to me that they would be Jevoah's Witnesses on a mission.  Once they got started talking about their religious ideas, they couldn't stop themselves.  I walked away and they were still talking as I walked out the door.

Like Vegans 

47 minutes ago, Old Curmudgeon said:

Nope.  Not the same.

Did those White Men look like this?

image.png.f61565278f6154994f68f3eb38e63ba8.png

Might have been that you were witnessing a return of the White-bread Body Snatchers.

Or, they could have been from the American FBI....

Hard to say, since I did not see them, myself.

Just a thought.....