Thailand’s Business Ease Ranking Plummets in Asia-Pacific: Survey

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

You put a young woman in charge who has absolutely no experience in politics, and she appoints every single minister based on cronyism without any thought to the whole concept of merit and skill, and what do you end up with? 

The super wealthy and the elite deserve this fate richly. 

It didn’t start with the new prime minister, Thailand has always been an economic and morality backward country. Due to the success of its tourist numbers, in my opinion, their politics  will get worse and worse. 
Greed comes to mind , and who cares about Thailands poor , none of them. 

• Agree 2

When I came to Thailand to work, they asked me what title they should put on my business card.  I told them not to use the words "manager" or "director", lest I get caught up in a FCPA prosecution. (Or tossed in jail when there was an accident, which almost happened to our country GM)

I don't know how any US company does business in Thailand without getting caught violating FCPA.  I guess the key there is "getting caught".

8 hours ago, Andycoops said:

What else do you expect with the political chaos, ever changing laws and rules on how to do anything.

The left foot never knows what the right foot is doing because they are only focused on their own bubble, oblivious to all that is happening around them.

You are correct sir. My take is that mismanagement of economic policy has been a major handicap, it doesn't seem like they ever have someone competent to do the job. 

10 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I wonder how this will affect the value of the baht ...

Possibly will have little effect in the medium term.

You only have to see what 'western' politicians are doing to their economies to have doubts about the outcome.

Of course there has always been corruption in high places; with characters the likes of Horatio Bottomley.

But I would suggest that many of those who in past times went into politics later in life after making their mark in some other sphere, did so with a relative disinterest in the paltry remuneration it then offered.

Nowadays, politics is often seen as a life-long, well-paid career opportunity by young people graduating from university where they studied the subject.  The motivations are likely to be somewhat different.

7 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Not surprising at all. We have tried 2 avenues to open a business here. We applied for, and finally were approved for a legit BOI company, which was unbelievably hard and took almost a year to do! However, when we tried to add employees, it was impossible. Long story, but a new hire would leave the country to get a temporary non B, and when they came back, BOI office kept sending the employee addition request back with more and more questions (sometimes the same questions multiple times). This process took months, and the employee would run out of time on the temp Non B.

We abandoned ship with that effort, and went with a traditional business. This was also more work than it was worth. Requiring ridiculous amounts of senseless paperwork, and protocol, that showed us again just how difficult this would be going forward. Again. Not worth it.

The system is archaic, clunky, and the people making decisions have zero clues about various industries that are applying. I have so many "face palm" stories about our dead end journey, it's mind numbing.

And with all those obstacles combined with onerous luxury taxes, wine import taxes, major corruption, an over inflated baht, and so many other areas that make it difficult to operate here, one wonders how the Thai economy is even doing moderately well at this point. 

There is something fishy going on. 

8 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Not surprising at all. We have tried 2 avenues to open a business here. We applied for, and finally were approved for a legit BOI company, which was unbelievably hard and took almost a year to do! However, when we tried to add employees, it was impossible. Long story, but a new hire would leave the country to get a temporary non B, and when they came back, BOI office kept sending the employee addition request back with more and more questions (sometimes the same questions multiple times). This process took months, and the employee would run out of time on the temp Non B.

We abandoned ship with that effort, and went with a traditional business. This was also more work than it was worth. Requiring ridiculous amounts of senseless paperwork, and protocol, that showed us again just how difficult this would be going forward. Again. Not worth it.

The system is archaic, clunky, and the people making decisions have zero clues about various industries that are applying. I have so many "face palm" stories about our dead end journey, it's mind numbing.

Thank you for bothering to tell us a real life experience to explain the reality.  Stupid, self flattering fools running the place.

• Agree 1