Brave Fox News Meteorologist Rescues Trapped Woman During Hurricane Helene Broadcast

Social Media

image.png

In a moment of swift heroism, Fox meteorologist Bob Van Dillen interrupted a live broadcast to save a woman trapped in her car amid the chaos of Hurricane Helene, a deadly Category 4 storm. The incident occurred early Friday morning as the hurricane wreaked havoc across North Atlanta, Georgia, bringing heavy flooding and strong winds.

Watch:

Van Dillen, reporting live from Peachtree Creek, was describing the dangerous conditions, noting that water levels had risen to about 23 feet. Suddenly, a woman's frantic cries for help could be heard coming from her submerged white car, which was visible in the background of the live shot. The urgency of the situation quickly became clear, prompting Van Dillen to take immediate action. 

“Oh man — it’s a situation. We will get back to you in a little bit. I’m going to go and see if I can help this lady out a little bit more you guys. I’ll be back,” Van Dillen said, excusing himself from the broadcast as he moved towards the woman’s vehicle.

Without hesitation, Van Dillen approached the car, finding the woman in a state of panic. “Yeah, I gotcha. I got you loud and clear,” he reassured her as he carefully waded through the chest-deep water to reach her. Despite being 6 feet 1 inch tall, the water was high and treacherous, making the rescue both risky and challenging.

Later recounting the event on Fox & Friends, Van Dillen explained that he had initially called 911 but felt the woman couldn’t wait for emergency services to arrive. “I called 911, it was five minutes, 10 minutes — and you could hear her screaming right? You could hear it through my live shot, real loud,” he said. 

Recognizing the urgency of the situation, Van Dillen decided to take matters into his own hands. “She was panicking. She really wasn’t making too much sense, and she was still strapped into her car seat,” he said. “She still had the seat buckle on, and she had her window about this much down and she’s trying to talk to me through that.”

Van Dillen struggled to open the car door due to the water pressure, but he quickly instructed the woman to roll her window down. Miraculously, the car’s battery was still working despite being submerged in water. “That allowed the pressure to be equalized and allowed me to pry the door open, unbuckle her seatbelt, put her on me, in my side,” he explained. 

Reflecting on the rescue, Van Dillen noted that the water was warm, with temperatures around 80 degrees, which provided a bit of comfort in an otherwise dire situation. The fact that the car’s systems hadn’t short-circuited and allowed him to open the door was, in his words, a “miracle.”

Hurricane Helene has left a devastating trail in its wake, with more than 37 people reported dead as it continues to batter the southeastern United States with heavy rainfall and dangerous winds. While the storm’s impact has been tragic, moments of bravery like Van Dillen’s serve as a reminder of the resilience and compassion shown by many during times of crisis.

Based on a report from: The Independent 2024-09-30

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png