Baht strength - How long?

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I thought the Bangkok Bank in NY & London were Commercial Banking only nowadays.

I haven't used the London one for a long time, maybe 15 years. They weren't a retail branch but they did handle overseas transactions. I sent money regularly when I was purchasing a land lease and off plan house in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I thought the Bangkok Bank in NY & London were Commercial Banking only nowadays.

It is Commercial only but it can be used as a pass through for transfers to Thailand, using BACS I believe. The US has the same arrangement with BBL NY using ACHA, but that causes Social Security payments a problem which can only be accessed in branch, if that method of transfer is used. Whether there would be similar issues using BBL London I don't know.

• Thanks 1

I was able to wire money to myself from my American bank account to my Bangkok Bank dollar account here.  It routed through the New York branch but it only cost me $10 or $15 as opposed to the old wire transfer, which was $45.  Took a few hours longer but not a problem.

It does involve setting up the deal with your bank in your home country.