Is Thailand Value for money

Celsius

7 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Please stop. Anyone who claims to be an expert here almost immediately falls flat on their face. Don't do it.

is what you wrote. Now every single reply of yours is a modification of the previous statement.

You wrote that people should try those things. There were no caveats. Now all of a sudden you are writing about other cheeses. Which 'other cheeses' go into a NY style pizza?

No, a good burger joint does not use lean beef. That's just more of you making it up as you go along.

Healthy homemade buns made with with Low GI wholewheat flour? I don't believe it. You whole statement was just nonsensical. Which is why you have to modify is each time. The DO NOT use fresh mozzarella on NY style pizza. Perhaps you should take a closer look at the ingredients of the 'cheese' they use.

I'm guessing you haven't had NY style pizza, from the NYC area, too many times? I've had it hundreds of times, and personally know many restaurant owners. How many burger joints have you gone to? I've also been to many, in many states and countries. Some use very good ingredients, some don't. And what is unhealthy about eating a hamburger bun once in a while? Nothing. Again, I'm not talking about fast food chains. I don't have to take a closer look at anything, as I have , again, been doing this for over 50 years and I read labels all the time.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't stop because what I say is right. Your opinions are noted, but also wrong. I never said anything about pizza here. I said pizza, along with the other things, can be healthy. I know what they put on pizza, and what's in burgers, both here and back home. Remember, I did say I've been doing this for over 50 years. That kinda gives you a little bit of knowledge on the subject. I didn't modify anything. Read my first reply to your question....................Can you break it down, explaining to me what makes New York style pizza healthy food...or in fact any of what you have mentioned other than the swordfish? ..........................Pizza has tomatoes and cheese, which are healthy. Added ingredients can be mushrooms, chicken, anchovies, pineapple, fish, veggies and other healthy ingredients. It's high calorie, but in moderation is fine. A cheeseburger, with lean beef, cheese, tomatoes, onion, lettuce and a good bun is also healthy if you don't load on anything else or bacon. Shrimp Scampi isn't too bad besides the oil, but the main ingredient is shrimp. Lasagne,......... noodles, sauce, cheese, all good things. Portion sizes is what hurts some people. Texas BBQ, lean, is just lean beef. You trim the fat, and it's just like a steak, and not use too much BBQ sauce. There are countless healthy dishes which people can ruin by adding too much oil, sugar or salt. It's mainly the sugars which hurt people, meaning refined and added sugars. Deep frying isn't healthy either, so that's always been off limits for me besides the very occasional piece. .................... I didn't say ALL pizza, burgers, lasagne, or Scampi. I said they CAN be healthy, depending on who makes them, myself included, along with countless other places I've eaten more than twice that cook healthy pizza, burgers, scampi et al.  You assume they can't, for whatever reasons you might have. They all are healthy, IF you use the right ingredients.

Are you trying to gaslight me?! It was you who told people to try New York style pizza. Now you are claiming that you didn't say anything about pizza 🤣

NY style pizza is junk food.

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

Try Texas BBQ, New York style pizza, Shrimp Scampi, Lasagne (homemade), Australian, Texas, or a myriad of other cheeseburgers, Broiled Swordfish, and a host of others who might have some extra calories but are still healthy food.

Did someone hack your account and write that for you?

Shrimp scampi? Deep fried is healthy?

Lasagne? What is healthy in your home made product?

We already covered your fantasy regarding cheeseburgers.

All  just quite weird.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm guessing you haven't had NY style pizza, from the NYC area, too many times? I've had it hundreds of times, and personally know many restaurant owners. How many burger joints have you gone to? I've also been to many, in many states and countries. Some use very good ingredients, some don't. And what is unhealthy about eating a hamburger bun once in a while? Nothing. Again, I'm not talking about fast food chains. I don't have to take a closer look at anything, as I have , again, been doing this for over 50 years and I read labels all the time.

We done this before.....you are writing nonsense. We've also gone through ingredients listing with things that you claimed were healthy.

You don't have a clue...

Just now, NowNow said:

Are you trying to gaslight me?! It was you who told people to try New York style pizza. Now you are claiming that you didn't say anything about pizza 🤣

NY style pizza is junk food.

Did someone hack your account and write that for you?

Shrimp scampi? Deep fried is healthy?

Lasagne? What is healthy in your home made product?

We already covered your fantasy regarding cheeseburgers.

All  just quite weird.

You keep saying the same things, and are still wrong. Pizza is not unhealthy if you go to a place that makes it healthy. New York style pizza is a style, and thousands of places make it, and some are healthy, some aren't. You do not know nutrition, as your replies have shown. A person can make his own food, at home, or go to restaurants that cook healthy, instead of going to places that don't. I make Lasagne, with Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Ricotta cheese, part skim. I use good sauces, those I've known for many years and have yes, read the labels, or I make my own. I use Ronzoni or Barilla noodles, ground chicken and chicken sausage. Very healthy. If I want more flavor, I will use real Italian sausage and ground sirloin. Still not too heavy, and mostly healthy ingredients. I didn't say deep fried is healthy, so I'm guessing, like many, you skim over what people write, looking for things that don't match your opinions. Doesn't work, and isn't here.

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I agree with him, and they are healthy.  I'm partial to Pizza Co's NY Style, when 2 for 1 :cheesy:   

Actually the only pizza I'll get out of the house, unless at Krung Thep, hard to not pop into SoHo Pizza (soi 11)

Just had it last week-ish.  A healthier option over many other dishes I can think of.  Especially in the fast food category.

You eat food from 7-11. No one should take you seriously when it comes to the discussion of healthy food.

Just now, NowNow said:

We done this before.....you are writing nonsense. We've also gone through ingredients listing with things that you claimed were healthy.

You don't have a clue...

I never write nonsense, You obviously know nothing about nutrition, and may never have ever read much on it. I have daily for 50 plus years, and staying healthy and strong all my life has proven it. I have given diet advice to thousands while training and working out, and they all benefited from it. That comes from a person that does his homework, and not one who assumes , thinking they know nutrition from reading a few articles from others opinions. You have to put in the time to know any particular subject. Not skim.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You keep saying the same things, and are still wrong. Pizza is not unhealthy if you go to a place that makes it healthy. New York style pizza is a style, and thousands of places make it, and some are healthy, some aren't. You do not know nutrition, as your replies have shown. A person can make his own food, at home, or go to restaurants that cook healthy, instead of going to places that don't. I make Lasagne, with Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Ricotta cheese, part skim. I use good sauces, those I've known for many years and have yes, read the labels, or I make my own. I use Ronzoni or Barilla noodles, ground chicken and chicken sausage. Very healthy. If I want more flavor, I will use real Italian sausage and ground sirloin. Still not too heavy, and mostly healthy ingredients. I didn't say deep fried is healthy, so I'm guessing, like many, you skim over what people write, looking for things that don't match your opinions. Doesn't work, and isn't here.

It's a crap style. Junk food in my opinion. Canned tomatoes, sugar in everything. It's crap. I had serious indigestion after my USA trips. You are obviously used to eating that rubbish.

• Sad 2

I never write nonsense, You obviously know nothing about nutrition, and may never have ever read much on it. I have daily for 50 plus years, and staying healthy and strong all my life has proven it. I have given diet advice to thousands while training and working out, and they all benefited from it. That comes from a person that does his homework, and not one who assumes , thinking they know nutrition from reading a few articles from others opinions. You have to put in the time to know any particular subject. Not skim.

You often write nonsense.

Just now, NowNow said:

It's a crap style. Junk food in my opinion. Canned tomatoes, sugar in everything. It's crap. I had serious indigestion after my USA trips. You are obviously used to eating that rubbish.

Your opinion is again noted, and again, wrong. You chose places in the US that didn't make healthy dishes. I lived there 62 years, and NEVER had any issues with my stomach . Read this article, and don't SKIM................https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-pizza-healthy#a-healthy-choice

Just now, NowNow said:

You often write nonsense.

Actually, everything I've ever replied about has been fact based. I don't make opinions, because they mean nothing. A couple like you have said the same thing, and haven't backed it up by proving anything I've written as wrong. Many others have agreed with me because, they also are intelligent and research.

16 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You eat food from 7-11. No one should take you seriously when it comes to the discussion of healthy food.

That's only when we're O&A, and choose wisely, no need to eat unhealthy, even from 7-11 :coffee1:

Well, extremely unhealthy ... :cheesy:

At home, and eat in, 90% of our dining, a Keto ish diet, of whole foods, and cut most of the starchy carbs & sugar out of my diet.  Wasn't much processed foods to cut out.

Weight, BP, blood sugar, cholesterol all normal ... CBC (R&W, etc), again, all normal.  Non smoker & don't drink alcohol.  Maybe half a doobie, once a month if that, though doesn't seem to help the movie I'm watching 🙄

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Your opinion is again noted, and again, wrong. You chose places in the US that didn't make healthy dishes. I lived there 62 years, and NEVER had any issues with my stomach . Read this article, and don't SKIM................https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-pizza-healthy#a-healthy-choice

The only healthy choices in that article are for HOME MADE 😊

Look @fredwiggy You had a discussion with regard to sugar free granola the other day and you produced a couple of options laced with additives. It seem alcohol sugars are a healthy addition to your diet. Americans are used to having crap added to their food. Unadulterated food is considered premium. I was appalled at the quality of the food in the supermarkets. Anyway, let's leave it there, as the subject is about THAILAND. What kind of person suggests trying NY style pizza in Thailand as a healthy option, along with the other, frankly bizarre suggestions?

On 10/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, fredwiggy said:

In America, you can find food from everywhere in the world, and as good or better than where they originated. This is because America is all countries in one place, where chefs came from their native lands and opened restaurants and used their recipes to create food for Americans. Fast food tastes the same all over. Third rate at best and usually unhealthy. Thailand does have some good restaurants, both western and Thai food. I've had Thai food in Texas that's as good as any I've had here, and my girlfriend is a good cook.

Seems to me that the biggest problem with food in the US is that too much artificial flavors and colors plus too much spraying of veggies and fruits and  costs.  A Thai meal in the US at a "Thai" restaurant is usally several times more than the original here.  But I do agree, I have had numerous Thai dishes in the US.  Many times If the waiter/waitress is Thai not from PI, I ask to chat with the cook who usually is a Thai and they make whatever I want and it is exactly the same as here except for the cost of course.

Just now, NowNow said:

The only healthy choices in that article are for HOME MADE 😊

Look @fredwiggy You had a discussion with regard to sugar free granola the other day and you produced a couple of options laced with additives. It seem alcohol sugars are a healthy addition to your diet. Americans are used to having crap added to their food. Unadulterated food is considered premium. I was appalled at the quality of the food in the supermarkets. Anyway, let's leave it there, as the subject is about THAILAND. What kind of person suggests trying NY style pizza in Thailand as a healthy option, along with the other, frankly bizarre suggestions?

Every country has additives added to food. Exports and imports go everywhere. I was asked if I knew of any granola with low sugar. I listed them. Sugar is un avoidable to almost everyone. The amount you eat is what matters. Again, I never said Thailand pizza was good, although some are. I said pizza can be healthy. I spent 62 years in supermarkets in the US. All sell crap and all sell good food. It's up to you what you buy. The same as here and Thailand is getting worse with their eating habits.

Just now, Presnock said:

Seems to me that the biggest problem with food in the US is that too much artificial flavors and colors plus too much spraying of veggies and fruits and  costs.  A Thai meal in the US at a "Thai" restaurant is usally several times more than the original here.  But I do agree, I have had numerous Thai dishes in the US.  Many times If the waiter/waitress is Thai not from PI, I ask to chat with the cook who usually is a Thai and they make whatever I want and it is exactly the same as here except for the cost of course.

I agree about the additives, and have tried to stay away from them as much as possible bit it isn't easy, especially if you want to drink no sugar drinks. If you ask a restaurant to prepare something a certain way, they'll honor it. Here they don't understand too well. Pesticides are used all over so you have to wash everything before you eat it.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

Every country has additives added to food. Exports and imports go everywhere. I was asked if I knew of any granola with low sugar. I listed them. Sugar is un avoidable to almost everyone. The amount you eat is what matters. Again, I never said Thailand pizza was good, although some are. I said pizza can be healthy. I spent 62 years in supermarkets in the US. All sell crap and all sell good food. It's up to you what you buy. The same as here and Thailand is getting worse with their eating habits.

NO sugar, not LOW sugar. Yours had alcohol sugars added. The Norwegian example had nothing added.

You are in serious denial because you have convinced yourself that you already know everything. But you understand very little. Corporates rule the roost over there and have the rules bent in their favour. That's why we in Europe fight to keep our food standards and refuse your crap.

22 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Just google the health stats from the US more than 40% are obese and diabetes.  Much of the developed world too went to fake foods put out by the big food companies in the late 1900's and working with 

big Pharma to keep Americans unhealthy and need of drugs to keep the symptoms at bay and the pharma owners richer and richer.  For healthy foods read Dr. William Li's two books on the research that has been carried out recently.  Books cite proven tests, which fruits or veggies are the best for health and preventing diseases.  No need to give up flavors either as all that he mentions tastes great and locally available in Thailand.

30 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

With many of the comments saying how bad Thailand is, I have a solution for you. Leave the country no one will miss you.

thats what Thaivisa, well Asean now is renowned for, miserable old gits complaining about everything and crying into their big Leo's. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Presnock said:

Just google the health stats from the US more than 40% are obese and diabetes.  Much of the developed world too went to fake foods put out by the big food companies in the late 1900's and working with 

big Pharma to keep Americans unhealthy and need of drugs to keep the symptoms at bay and the pharma owners richer and richer.  For healthy foods read Dr. William Li's two books on the research that has been carried out recently.  Books cite proven tests, which fruits or veggies are the best for health and preventing diseases.  No need to give up flavors either as all that he mentions tastes great and locally available in Thailand.

I think the number is more like 60% plus, obese and overweight, and I saw it daily training in a few gyms, along with daily living there. Pharma doesn't give a rat's ass what Americans do, as long as they use their drugs. After all these years, I've gotten it down to a science of what to east and what not to,and it's worked for me and many others I've given advice to. You can't trust much in this world.

I agree about the additives, and have tried to stay away from them as much as possible bit it isn't easy, especially if you want to drink no sugar drinks. If you ask a restaurant to prepare something a certain way, they'll honor it. Here they don't understand too well. Pesticides are used all over so you have to wash everything before you eat it.

Unfortunately too, even washing many fruits or veggies retain certain chemicals in the peel and sometimes even within.  If you can find any organic, the nutrients are even stronger according to the testing.  Only here, just wonder how accurately they are.   But avoiding the sugary drinks is essential and avoiding anything with additional sugar added - but anything with a label means that it is processed and all one needs to do is read it and one can see for theirself that to much fake stuff.  Best of health!

Just now, fredwiggy said:

I think the number is more like 60% plus, obese and overweight, and I saw it daily training in a few gyms, along with daily living there. Pharma doesn't give a rat's ass what Americans do, as long as they use their drugs. After all these years, I've gotten it down to a science of what to east and what not to,and it's worked for me and many others I've given advice to. You can't trust much in this world.

Certainly cannot trust your 'advice' 😊

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You sure have that correct!  Luckily like you years ago I recognized the problems with foods - especially sugar - I am now 77 soon 78, I read Dr. William Li's books and still changed some of my diet and found several restaurants in BKK that fix foods properly.  Lost about 4 pounds but 23 inches off my waist in 2 months.  Feel great, lift weights several times a week, 6km a day walking, and on non-weights day 50 minutes of core exercises.  Have tons of energy.  Don't smoke or drink alcohol at all.  enjoying life healthy and happy.  Have had a bit of an influence on my wife and daughter but not as wholehog as I am in maintaining my health.  I notice every news video from many countries (developed) the majority of folks are overweight for sure and no one seems happy any more.  weather must be getting them down and if this past year is a harbinger of things to come, these folks need to fix their diets to survive as big pharma will be out.  take care stay safe

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NowNow said:

NO sugar, not LOW sugar. Yours had alcohol sugars added. The Norwegian example had nothing added.

You are in serious denial because you have convinced yourself that you already know everything. But you understand very little. Corporates rule the roost over there and have the rules bent in their favour. That's why we in Europe fight to keep our food standards and refuse your crap.

Sugar alcohols aren't bad if you limit their use. Again, I'm not in denial and know this ,as this has been my life for 50 plus years, and you can't argue with positive results, not only for me but for the thousands I've helped. Try not assuming what I do or don't know, because you have absolutely no idea, and you aren't the one who's been in the health game for 50 years. Do you actually think people in Europe are mostly healthy? Very few places are blue areas worldwide, and research their diets. This is what I follow a lot. How they eat. The obesity rate in many EU countries is as high as 55%, which isn't too far behind the US. And the US isn't an entity of itself but all countries in one place, with a lot of Europeans and Asians there that are overweight and not healthy. I don't know everything. No one does, but I've put in a lot of time reading up and experiencing it firsthand.

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

Certainly cannot trust your 'advice' 😊

Funny, thousands have and have gotten healthier, stronger and lost fat. Guess they trusted it. Making stupid comments doesn't do anything because again, you need to prove someone wrong before your replies mean anything. So far, they haven't.

4 hours ago, ravip said:

As a non-US citizen, many questions popped up in my mind, after reading your post.  You mention...

aaa) The number of millionaires.  One site said 24.5 million, another 23.7 million.  

bbb) 36.8 million Americans living in poverty in 2023. 

ccc) These days, it doesn't take much to hit a million dollars in assets in the US

ddd)  And, the number of millionaires in the US is bound to grow

To me, it seems the numbers are not right. Why?

aaa) If the number of millionaires are bound to rise, what would happen to the number of people living in poverty?

bbb) If it doesn't take much to hit a million dollars in assets in the US, why don't the number of people living in poverty reduce? (of course, exceptionally, there might be a few who choose to be that).

Other than the above, there are many who complain about the extreme cost of health care etc. For example, right here at AN, I've read many posts from US citizens who have settle in Thailand just for that reason.

Looking at it from outside, for a non US citizen it is quite difficult to understand what really is the issue.

US is looked upon as the most powerful, developed country on the planet. It spends Trillions of $$$$$$$$ on war, space programs and the likes.

So why cannot it be made a paradise for its citizens to lead a peaceful, comfortable life in their home country, at a reasonable cost? Why not the people living in poverty be given an opportunity to raise their living standard? Why doesn't the Government prioritize this and why don't the US citizens demand this from their Government?

I am sure, the US has the capacity to do that - Financially, Intellectually, Technology and what not...

I don't have much in the way of answers.  I would say that I don't see any correlation with the number of millionaires and the number of people in poverty in the US.   One person becoming a millionaire doesn't mean another person is going to automatically rise out of poverty.   There have always been poor people and rich people in the US, with the vast majority in-between--I don't see that changing much in a capitalist system.  

My post was in response to a statement by another poster, who said that 'Americans are actually quite poor.'   I disagreed, and backed up my post with some actual numbers.  Median wealth is around $192,000 and average wealth is over 1 million dollars. 

Nobody is disputing that there are poor people in the US.  Of course, there are.  But, the vast majority of Americans do not fall into the 'poor' category and America is not 'actually quite poor'.  

I did a bit more research and found another website that pegged US millionaires at 30 million.  I think that is getting more accurate to actual numbers, but probably still low.  It's interesting that 500,000 Americans became millionaires in just 2023, so the number is rising--and I would say fairly rapidly.  So, perhaps there are around 30 million millionaires and around 37 million poor Americans.  If America really was a 'quite poor' country, I suspect the poverty figure would be considerably more in a country of 345 million and the number of millionaires would be far less.  

Sugar alcohols aren't bad if you limit their use. Again, I'm not in denial and know this ,as this has been my life for 50 plus years, and you can't argue with positive results, not only for me but for the thousands I've helped. Try not assuming what I do or don't know, because you have absolutely no idea, and you aren't the one who's been in the health game for 50 years. Do you actually think people in Europe are mostly healthy? Very few places are blue areas worldwide, and research their diets. This is what I follow a lot. How they eat. The obesity rate in many EU countries is as high as 55%, which isn't too far behind the US. And the US isn't an entity of itself but all countries in one place, with a lot of Europeans and Asians there that are overweight and not healthy. I don't know everything. No one does, but I've put in a lot of time reading up and experiencing it firsthand.

Anyone who starts their post with the words "Sugar alcohols aren't bad if you........."  immediately losers any credibility.

Anyone who feels compelled to announce to the world "this has been my life for 50 plus years..." immediately loses any credibility.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Blah blah.....

Why have sugar alcohol AT ALL?

I haven't assumed anything. I've simply commented on what you actually wrote. Which was purely nonsense.

NY style pizza, shrimp scampi etc and claiming it is healthy. Idiocy IMHO.

Edited by NowNow
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

AMEN to these comments - Big pharma and big foods around the world want people to stay unhealthy in my opinion and that just makes them richer.