Thai marriage visa is there a background check

Hello everyone,

It's been difficult to parse together what the process looks like for acquiring a Thai marriage visa with regards to a background check. On one page of Siam legal's website it says you need a clear criminal record and then on another page is doesn't mention there is a background check done as a part of the process. I've seen other legal sites that don't mention a background check.

Is there a background check done as a part of the process?

If so what kind of background check is done?

I'd prefer responses from USA citizens who have gone through the marriage visa process.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Lestat777 said:

Hello everyone,

It's been difficult to parse together what the process looks like for acquiring a Thai marriage visa with regards to a background check. On one page of Siam legal's website it says you need a clear criminal record and then on another page is doesn't mention there is a background check done as a part of the process. I've seen other legal sites that don't mention a background check.

If so what kind of background check is done?

I'd prefer responses from USA citizens who have gone through the marriage visa process.

Thank you

From memory the background checks came with the Non-O application.

There is no marriage visa by the way…..you extend your Non-O visa based on marriage.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

From memory the background checks came with the Non-O application.

There is no marriage visa by the way…..you extend your Non-O visa based on marriage.

Your memory serves you badly, a background check is required for a Non-OA (which is for retirement) , not a Non-O for marriage

Also, of course there is a marriage visa, what do you think the Non-O based on marriage is?

Also, also, you do not extend your Non-O based on marriage, that is done and dusted, you extend your permission of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

Apart from that, well done   🙂

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Lestat777 said:

No.

Do you plan to obtain the non O marriage in Thailand? 

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only?