Which extra health insurance for Thai lady, complementary to 30-baht Government insurance?

Steven55

All insurance is wasted money until you use it, and hopefully it stays wasted  Having said that my wife had AIA Health Insurance which was not particularly expensive and certainly did not feel it was wasted when she needed a hysterectomy, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya fully covered rather than wherever she would otherwise have ended up.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

All insurance is wasted money until you use it, and hopefully it stays wasted  Having said that my wife had AIA Health Insurance which was not particularly expensive and certainly did not feel it was wasted when she needed a hysterectomy, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya fully covered rather than wherever she would otherwise have ended up.

AIA... pls, what was the premium?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is no such thing as an insurance that  complements the 30 baht system. She can get a separate private policy but  the only reason to do so would be to have the option of using private hospitals.  Note that coverage limits are often unrealistically low,  and the track record of many Thai insurers for paying claims is less than optimal.

The"30 baht" system covers pretty much everything, inpatient and outpatient,   including major surgeries, cancer care etc. Nothing basic about it. The room cover is only for a ward bed but an extra 1000 baht or so out of pocket per night  will allow a private/ semi-private room  if one is available. 

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no such thing as an insurance that  complements the 30 baht system. She can get a separate private policy but  the only reason to do so would be to have the option of using private hospitals.  Note that coverage limits are often unrealistically low,  and the track record of many Thai insurers for paying claims is less than optimal.

The"30 baht" system covers pretty much everything, inpatient and outpatient,   including major surgeries, cancer care etc. Nothing basic about it. The room cover is only for a ward bed but an extra 1000 baht or so out of pocket per night  will allow a private/ semi-private room  if one is available. 

Typically the cost of a private room in a government hospital here in Isaan is 600 baht a night.

And usually includes a TV, fridge and ensuite toilet and shower.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Tell her to get a job and onto social security !

I mentioned this many times before, but here it goes again...

Wife working for 25 years. The health insurance cover is not enough. To get any decent cover you also need to add life insurance. 

So in total my wife is insured by 30 baht scheme, social insurance, life insurance that she was paying for 25 years, her own out of pocket health insurance that she has also been paying for 25 years, her employer health insurance AND she also has accident insurance she pays 170 baht a month which I admit came in handy a few times.

So even with all this insurance she still has to pay out of pocket numerous times. The latest example. She was covered for endoscopy/colonoscopy BUT only because she was admitted. If she wasn't - 0 cover. Her insurance paid for meds after she left the procedure, but when they found h pylori bacteria she had to pay 8000 baht for antibiotics out of pocket.

She has been trying to get her insurance to pay for tonsils removal for the past 5 years. They don't wanna pay even if doctor recommended. When she had to do mammogram she paid out of pocket. When she has to check for cancer in her vagina ...she had to pay out of pocket.

Edited by Celsius
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Wife working for 25 years. The health insurance cover is not enough. To get any decent cover you also need to add life insurance. 

So in total my wife is insured by 30 baht scheme, social insurance, life insurance that she was paying for 25 years, her own out of pocket health insurance that she has also been paying for 25 years, her employer health insurance AND she also has accident insurance she pays 170 baht a month which I admit came in handy a few times.

So even with all this insurance she still has to pay out of pocket numerous times. The latest example. She was covered for endoscopy/colonoscopy BUT only because she was admitted. If she wasn't - 0 cover. Her insurance paid for meds after she left the procedure, but when they found h pylori bacteria she had to pay 8000 baht for antibiotics out of pocket.

She has been trying to get her insurance to pay for tonsils removal for the past 5 years. They don't wanna pay even if doctor recommended. When she had to do mammogram she paid out of pocket. When she has to check for cancer in her vagina ...she had to pay out of pocket.

Yeah righto...

Have spent a bit of time in my registered hospital that cost millions.... all covered by Social security.

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Yeah righto...

Have spent a bit of time in my registered hospital that cost millions.... all covered by Social security.

I am talking about private insurance.

I wrote here about my wife's dad who got a pretty fast surgery under a 30 baht scheme. I even praised it. He was lucky. Go to your social insurance hospital and ask about a prostate exam and get back to me.....

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

Something is off here.

First of all, cannot be covered at dame time  by both 30 baht scheme and Social Security. It is one or the other.

Secondly, endoscopy and meds, and tonsillectomy, would be fully covered under either 30 baht scheme or SS as applicable -- provided done at designated hospital. 

Routine mammogram and pap smear often not available at government hospitals, true. But where available would be covered.

Sounds like she had been trying to do all these things at a private hospital through a private, Thai-issued  insurance policy. Most such policies are hospitalization only so indeed do not cover  outpatient endoscopies or meds nor preventive health checks. One can get optional add ons to policy that would cover such things, but at a significant cost-- usually far more than its worth. .

As for the tonsillectomy she can file a complaint with the OIC to try to get the private insurer to cover it...or just get it done at her designated SS/30 baht hospital. 

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Something is off here.

First of all, cannot be covered at dame time  by both 30 baht scheme and Social Security. It is one or the other.

Secondly, endoscopy and meds, and tonsillectomy, would be fully covered under either 30 baht scheme or SD as applicable -- provided done at designated hospital. 

Routine mammogram and pap smear often not available at government hospitals, true. But where available would be covered.

Sounds like she had been trying to do all these things at a private hospital through a private, Thai-idsuef  insurance policy. Most such policies are hospitalization only so indeed do not cover  outpatient endoscopies or meds nor preventive health chevks. Onr can get optional add ons to policy that would cover such things, but at a significant cost-- usually far more than its wotth. .

As for the tonsillectomy she can file a complaint eleith the OIC to try to get the private induser to cover it...or just get it done at her designated SS/30 baht hospital. 

Yes, apologies. This was all through a private insurer.

How much would she have to wait if she needed to have endoscopy/colonoscopy using social insurance?  Can you upgrade a room to private room using social insurance? What about any follow-ups? I think my wife never used social insurance because she always worked and to be fair, for smaller outpatient claims were always paid by her employer. 

On 10/3/2024 at 6:45 AM, Steven55 said:

Hi all,
The 30-baht insurance covers basic care and I wonder if expats here have an extra health insurance for their Thai GF.
My GF is 37, healthy, and I feel an extra health insurance could be wasted money.

Pls your opinion/advice.
Thanks!

A PA (Personal Accident) insurance can be a beneficial supplement, as it covers both a sum for medical and disability.

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

Yes, apologies. This was all through a private insurer.

How much would she have to wait if she needed to have endoscopy/colonoscopy using social insurance?  Can you upgrade a room to private room using social insurance? What about any follow-ups? I think my wife never used social insurance because she always worked and to be fair, for smaller outpatient claims were always paid by her employer. 

1. Wait would depend on the hospital, but usually not long. Of course the endoscopy would have to be ordered by a doctor at that hospital. And she must use her nominated SS hospital. (Or one they refer her to, if she needs something they can't provide).

2. SS will pay up to 700 baht for room. If you want one that costs more, you can pay the difference.

All the same applies to tonsillectomy.

3. All follow ups (including meds) would be covered by SS.

If she wants to pursue getting the private insurer to cover the tonsillectomy this is OIC https://www.oic.or.th/en

Complaint can be made online

30 Baht does not cover an accident, such as a motorbike or such.. She would have to pay all charges associated with that on her own.. A decent cheap policy would give you both a piece of mind.. Well worth it in the long run...