Post-Y2K BUG & The New American Bedlamism: Was America, historically, ever this crazy?

Dear Folks, 

As one who has been raptly viewing post turn-of-the-century American culture, I have been struck by at least three shocking transformations in American culture, and the Average American individual.

1.  Dumbing down of movie fare

2.  Deterioration in spoken and written English, as well as the general resorting to crude, demeaning and insulting English vocabulary directed at others

3.  General Craziness and lack of judgment in everyday lives, including plenty more gun-play than has been seen since the days of the Wild West in cities like Tombstone and Dodge City. And, much of this gun play is now increasingly taking place, due to road rage situations, in every community around America.

Therefore, the question is:

Is it a reality that general craziness is markedly increasing in America?

What are the causes?

For example, is this due to the increased use of psychoactive drugs to treat childhood mental “illnesses” such as ADHD, etc, and depression in young adults as well as middle-aged Americans?

Or, could this be due to the high sugar diet and obesity? Are overweight Americans more likely to engage in craziness than thin fit individuals?

Alternatively, might this increased American craziness be due to stressors brought on by crazy American government policies such as higher university tuition with no reasonable way to finance children's higher education? Or, what about forced evictions from housing being bought up by large corporations, leaving the Average crazy American homeless, and completely frustrated with life?

My guess is that one cause might be the changing education system, in which what is being taught no longer fosters introspection and clear thinking. And instead, education is being replaced and distorted by unrealistic views and expectations of what life actually is, and was pre-Y2K.

In fact, I first began noticing this transition and transformation around the year 2000 when Hollywood began producing movies that were pure fantasies with no well-written film scripts, and nothing to provoke the need to think deeply about any part of any film.  Where are the real issues thoughtfully discussed in movies today, now that all themes in Hollywood films are as superficial and fantastical as American News from MSNBC, and all the rest of the outlets.

For sure, Americans are becoming ever-crazier, both in their behavior and in their warped thought processes, and also in their inability to self-control aberrant behavior.

Americans are no longer grounded in the  reality of what we once considered the Real World. It’s like Americans under the age of 55  are on a continuous LSD-induced ‘bad trip’, and cannot escape to the sunshine we once enjoyed pre-1970s in the United States.

Maybe this is also due to the decision to close down mental health institutions and to push more and more crazies into the local communities.  And, as a result, we may have been witnessing these crazies infecting more-normal Americans, just due to rubbing up against them in during daily life.

Yes, craziness seems to be fostering more craziness in America, and we can witness it while flying on commercial aircraft, or while getting shot up while sitting in a movie theatre.

What ever happened to better venues such as the philharmonic where people would go to enjoy great music, without packing heat?

And how much crazier can Americans get….before America implodes and becomes a total Failed-State?

So many questions, but it will not be long, now, before we see the answers unfold before us ... .during the remaining years of this decade, which will probably be pivotal for the unlikely possibility of preserving  organized human existence, past the year 2030.

I am not worried, Mandrake.

I leave the worrying to younger guys.

Best regards,

Gamma

NOTE4:  This may be the Y2K Bug that set off this Total Cascade of Craziness in America !!!!!!!!

file-20191217-58326-upy7qj.jpg?ixlib=rb-4.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

I honestly believe that America has never been this crazy. I think that society and culture in America is getting dumbed down as time goes along, and I do believe that America is not progressing as a culture, and as a nation.

However having said that, I think a lot of the same can be said about the rest of the world, though Thailand seems to be just a bit less crazy, thankfully. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I honestly believe that America has never been this crazy. I think that society and culture in America is getting dumbed down as time goes along, and I do believe that America is not progressing as a culture, and as a nation.

However having said that, I think a lot of the same can be said about the rest of the world, though Thailand seems to be just a bit less crazy, thankfully. 

I actually completely concur, and I say this after much close observation from afar.

You see, here in Thailand, we are OUTSIDE the BUBBLE in which most Americans lead their daily lives.

It's just the old concept of our Frog immersed in a slowly heating pot.

Most of these changes that we easily recognize go largely unnoticed by the Average Crazy American.

And...YES.....here in this Topic...I am NOT picking on Americans, per se. I only chose Americans as an example due to the fact that I am far more familiar with the underlying and pervasive changes in American society that are easier for me to see.  For one thing, much of American culture is more easily visible to us, outside the US, due to institutions such as Hollywood, American social media, and American Ghetto Culture taking over the world.

So, it's like this.....:

a.  Dress Sloppy

image.png.3c2bcb985d6c180cac83132e5966e699.png

b.  Think Sloppy, too

image.png.0731d9916fd17bf43efd7f7b5dd35ba6.png

One can only wonder what's on this guy's so-called mind....

Not picking on any segment of the American population, either.

I am just saying that we might choose better role models for all of us.

1 minute ago, Yagoda said:

You make tons of factual assumptions without facts to back them up. Your post is silly, as usual.

Out of my TONS of factual assumptions, please just  name three erroneous factual assumptions which you find most egregious.

Please be factual, and list your facts, with references, this time.

Thank you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks, 

As one who has been raptly viewing post turn-of-the-century American culture, I have been struck by at least three shocking transformations in American culture, and the Average American individual.

1.  Dumbing down of movie fare

2.  Deterioration in spoken and written English, as well as the general resorting to crude, demeaning and insulting English vocabulary directed at others

3.  General Craziness and lack of judgment in everyday lives, including plenty more gun-play than has been seen since the days of the Wild West in cities like Tombstone and Dodge City. And, much of this gun play is now increasingly taking place, due to road rage situations, in every community around America.

Therefore, the question is:

Is it a reality that general craziness is markedly increasing in America?

What are the causes?

For example, is this due to the increased use of psychoactive drugs to treat childhood mental “illnesses” such as ADHD, etc, and depression in young adults as well as middle-aged Americans?

Or, could this be due to the high sugar diet and obesity? Are overweight Americans more likely to engage in craziness than thin fit individuals?

Alternatively, might this increased American craziness be due to stressors brought on by crazy American government policies such as higher university tuition with no reasonable way to finance children's higher education? Or, what about forced evictions from housing being bought up by large corporations, leaving the Average crazy American homeless, and completely frustrated with life?

My guess is that one cause might be the changing education system, in which what is being taught no longer fosters introspection and clear thinking. And instead, education is being replaced and distorted by unrealistic views and expectations of what life actually is, and was pre-Y2K.

In fact, I first began noticing this transition and transformation around the year 2000 when Hollywood began producing movies that were pure fantasies with no well-written film scripts, and nothing to provoke the need to think deeply about any part of any film.  Where are the real issues thoughtfully discussed in movies today, now that all themes in Hollywood films are as superficial and fantastical as American News from MSNBC, and all the rest of the outlets.

For sure, Americans are becoming ever-crazier, both in their behavior and in their warped thought processes, and also in their inability to self-control aberrant behavior.

Americans are no longer grounded in the  reality of what we once considered the Real World. It’s like Americans under the age of 55  are on a continuous LSD-induced ‘bad trip’, and cannot escape to the sunshine we once enjoyed pre-1970s in the United States.

Maybe this is also due to the decision to close down mental health institutions and to push more and more crazies into the local communities.  And, as a result, we may have been witnessing these crazies infecting more-normal Americans, just due to rubbing up against them in during daily life.

Yes, craziness seems to be fostering more craziness in America, and we can witness it while flying on commercial aircraft, or while getting shot up while sitting in a movie theatre.

What ever happened to better venues such as the philharmonic where people would go to enjoy great music, without packing heat?

And how much crazier can Americans get….before America implodes and becomes a total Failed-State?

So many questions, but it will not be long, now, before we see the answers unfold before us ... .during the remaining years of this decade, which will probably be pivotal for the unlikely possibility of preserving  organized human existence, past the year 2030.

I am not worried, Mandrake.

I leave the worrying to younger guys.

Best regards,

Gamma

NOTE4:  This may be the Y2K Bug that set off this Total Cascade of Craziness in America !!!!!!!!

file-20191217-58326-upy7qj.jpg?ixlib=rb-4.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

GG has produced one of the few articles that I agree with. It's not just in the USA where people seem to be going crazy about issues that could be sorted out with civilized discussion. The USA's infatuation with guns amazes me. I watch a YouTube site where an ex-State Trooper who resigned some years ago to begin Homesteading, was in raptures for being allowed after a few years, to buy his handgun that he craved to own, and showed it on his site. He raised his son and daughter to hunt with guns, bows, and arrows. While accepting hunting for food, he and his son seem happier about the killing aspect. The world has gone mad. Where every day we see madness and mayhem, actual or made up, played out on our screens where the use of firearms is the answer to every dispute. Where will it end?

Social media has enabled the crazies. A lot of the stuff there is anti-science.

I am always amused by the long drawn out fight scenes beloved by film makers.

Truth is, the average male or female hit in the face would be vomiting up their last meal immediately, and would have headaches for a week.

The  Second Amendment has become a monster, out of control. Every time there is a school shooting, gun sales go up. Santayana's aphorism writ large.

gun control.png

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Truth is, the average male or female hit in the face would be vomiting up their last meal immediately, and would have headaches for a week.

The  Second Amendment has become a monster, out of control. Every time there is a school shooting, gun sales go up. Santayana's aphorism writ large.

gun control.png

I do agree that, since the period of time when social media began to become very popular, craziness and aberrant-though-now-normalized behavior has been steadily on the rise.

The only question might be....IS this a cause-effect relationship, or is this just a correlation without cause-effect that we are seeing?

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

gun control.png

" Our hearts and minds go out to those to those who have suffered..." The most used platitude by those who have the power to do something about it.

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

When you brought up Y2K... some operating systems were having a challenge on 1/1/2000 but I think old Unix based systems were having the same on 19 Jan 2038?

Yup, and scarily it's not necessarily old Unix systems.

Unless it's specifically stated in the documentation one of my standard questions during a software review is "is the system Y2K38 compliant". It's really scary how many are not (mostly embedded systems like POS and credit card terminals).

There are three principle reasons society is up excrement creek sans paddle.

The death of God, the welfare state, and the feminization of society.

All have lead to lack of personal responsibility, loss of fundamental morals, and no consequences for bad decisions.

But don't worry - help is coming in the form of WWIII. :coffee1: