Breast cancer with raised underarm lymph nodes.

Thai Mrs booked a promotional breast cancer screening at a well known private hospital. Imaging ‘strongly suggested cancer’. Doctor confirmed cancer which has spread to underarm lymph nodes. Five biopsies taken now awaiting results.

When my mother had cancer 11 years ago the doctor told me 'when lymph nodes are up even palliative chemotherapy is useless'. My question; Why has the hospital taken biopsies if it’s hopeless?

40 years ago my under arm lymph nodes were the size of moth balls.

Extensive tissue and node excision followed by an immunology regime has worked for me.

So stay positive 

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Thai Mrs booked a promotional breast cancer screening at a well known private hospital. Imaging ‘strongly suggested cancer’. Doctor confirmed cancer which has spread to underarm lymph nodes. Five biopsies taken now awaiting results.

When my mother had cancer 11 years ago the doctor told me 'when lymph nodes are up even palliative chemotherapy is useless'. My question; Why has the hospital taken biopsies if it’s hopeless?

The biopsy is done to confirm the imaging diagnosis because sometimes the imaging can be inaccurate. The biopsy can also help identify the type of cancer which allows a more effective treatment.

Cancer treatments have made great progress in the past 10 years.  Once it involves the lymph nodes it has reached stage 2 or 3 and yes the 5 year survivability is estimated to be 50-85% depending upon the cancer. 10 years ago it was not that good. The takeaway is that if the treatment works, the patient  is likely to be alive and active in 5 years time. 5 -10 years is certainly better than a few months.

• Thanks 1

New chemotherapy drugs are being developed all the time, what may have been true 11 years ago is not necessarily true now.

I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma two years ago, after getting a lump in my upper thigh checked.

By the time I was treated in Australia, the cancer had spread to two other sites. I am in full remission.

Biopsies are the cheap way to investigate, a complete examination would involve a CAT scan with a radioactive sugar marker.

• Thanks 2

As others have said, there have bern enormous advances in treatment of breast cancer. Lymph node involvement alone does not necessarily mean a terminal prognosis. 

If biopsy results are not yet in,  there is no way doctor can have confirmed this is cancer so that statement alarms me. Where is she being treated? Change in both hospital and doctor may be advisable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, norbra said:

40 years ago my under arm lymph nodes were the size of moth balls.

Extensive tissue and node excision followed by an immunology regime has worked for me.

So stay positive 

Wonderful success! Thank you for the encouragement.

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

The biopsy is done to confirm the imaging diagnosis because sometimes the imaging can be inaccurate. The biopsy can also help identify the type of cancer which allows a more effective treatment.

Cancer treatments have made great progress in the past 10 years.  Once it involves the lymph nodes it has reached stage 2 or 3 and yes the 5 year survivability is estimated to be 50-85% depending upon the cancer. 10 years ago it was not that good. The takeaway is that if the treatment works, the patient  is likely to be alive and active in 5 years time. 5 -10 years is certainly better than a few months.

Very helpful and uplifting information. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

New chemotherapy drugs are being developed all the time, what may have been true 11 years ago is not necessarily true now.

I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma two years ago, after getting a lump in my upper thigh checked.

By the time I was treated in Australia, the cancer had spread to two other sites. I am in full remission.

Biopsies are the cheap way to investigate, a complete examination would involve a CAT scan with a radioactive sugar marker.

Great to hear this. Many thanks!

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As others have said, there have bern enormous advances in treatment of breast cancer. Lymph node involvement alone does not necessarily mean a terminal prognosis. 

If biopsy results are not yet in,  there is no way doctor can have confirmed this is cancer so that statement alarms me. Where is she being treated? Change in both hospital and doctor may be advisable. 

We attended Bangkok Hospital in Khon Kaen on Saturday for the imaging. Returned next day for consultation. Same doctor took the five biopsies. 

My seventy-five-year-old Thai wife is recovering well after a mastectomy. Chemotherapy and radium treatment that was diagnosed almost a year ago. She did not suffer the bad effects of the treatment that my first wife suffered from in 1982 that I was dreading and is leading a normal life. Cancer treatment is much more advanced now. I wish you both well and be positive. My wife's treatment was performed in the government hospital in Chonburi and was excellent. Being Thai, she is covered by the Thai health scheme, but I'm sure treatment for a foreigner would be much cheaper than a private hospital.

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

My seventy-five-year-old Thai wife is recovering well after a mastectomy. Chemotherapy and radium treatment that was diagnosed almost a year ago. She did not suffer the bad effects of the treatment that my first wife suffered from in 1982 that I was dreading and is leading a normal life. Cancer treatment is much more advanced now. I wish you both well and be positive. My wife's treatment was performed in the government hospital in Chonburi and was excellent. Being Thai, she is covered by the Thai health scheme, but I'm sure treatment for a foreigner would be much cheaper than a private hospital.

Incredible! Thanks so much. My wife is 56. She has already said that she wants to be treated under her 30 baht scheme in Khon Kaen Regional Hospital. Three years ago she had Schwannoma tumours cut out of her leg by the same young doctor she saw at the tumour clinic. We booked a private room. Her daughter stayed with her to provide personal care and fetch the noodles! Surgery was performed under local anaesthetic as this was a relatively minor matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Incredible! Thanks so much. My wife is 56. She has already said that she wants to be treated under her 30 baht scheme in Khon Kaen Regional Hospital. Three years ago she had Schwannoma tumours cut out of her leg by the same young doctor she saw at the tumour clinic. We booked a private room. Her daughter stayed with her to provide personal care and fetch the noodles! Surgery was performed under local anaesthetic as this was a relatively minor matter.

Yes, government hospital is a better choice in this instance. For the very best care I would suggest KKU Hospital (Srinagarind), Prof. ONGART SOMINTARA.

Khon Kaen regional Hospital will also work....but maybe at least consult at KKU first, they are more state of the art.  If it is breast cancer there will be additional tissue typing & genetic tests needed.

Be sure to mention the history of Schwannoma. While it is rare, schwannoma can sometimes occur in the breast.  And they can definitely occur in lymph nodes giving the impression of metastasis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

When my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and they removed the breast they also took with that 16 lymph nodes to see how far the cancer cells had spread - 13 out of 16 - stage 4 cancer - later killed her.

Once it gets out of the breast they can only know if it has spread at all by checking those nodes.  But nowadays they are doing wonders with new food and pharma treatments even for stage 4.  Read DR. William Li's "DIet to Beat DIsease" his mother had breast cance and was cured without having to have chemo - but according to the reseachers, pharma is much more effective with the proper diet.  Just saying as now tests confirm these findings.  Best of luck and hopefully a full cure.

• Love It 1

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, government hospital is a better choice in this instance. For the very best care I would suggest KKU Hospital (Srinagarind), Prof. ONGART SOMINTARA.

Khon Kaen regional Hospital will also work....but maybe at least consult at KKU first, they are more state of the art.  If it is breast cancer there will be additional tissue typing & genetic tests needed.

Be sure to mention the history of Schwannoma. While it is rare, schwannoma can sometimes occur in the breast.  And they can definitely occur in lymph nodes giving the impression of metastasis.

Thanks for this most valuable information Sheryl. Schwannoma surgery history was not discussed yesterday. Mrs has a friend with breast cancer who is under Srinagarind Hospital in Khon Kaen.  

16 minutes ago, Presnock said:

When my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and they removed the breast they also took with that 16 lymph nodes to see how far the cancer cells had spread - 13 out of 16 - stage 4 cancer - later killed her.

Once it gets out of the breast they can only know if it has spread at all by checking those nodes.  But nowadays they are doing wonders with new food and pharma treatments even for stage 4.  Read DR. William Li's "DIet to Beat DIsease" his mother had breast cance and was cured without having to have chemo - but according to the reseachers, pharma is much more effective with the proper diet.  Just saying as now tests confirm these findings.  Best of luck and hopefully a full cure.

Very sorry about your wife. Thanks for your information and best wishes!

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Very sorry about your wife. Thanks for your information and best wishes!

Thanks.  That was many years ago and they have made great strides in food and pharma combos getting suprizing positive results, even amazing some of the researchers.  Best of luck.