Why Do You Even Drink?

SoCal1990

10 hours ago, Victor Laszlo said:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Frank Sinatra.

The Rat Pack were some real boozers and tail-chasers.
Can ya name them?  Man I was brought up on these guy's music and comedy.  I'm glad I was born when I was born.
Those were the days.
The-Rat-Pack-1140905033.jpg.66487f5c782c240b5017bd00fb40c286.jpg

th-504642700.jpeg.df45c9bf6637c3e4f4191999d27e150e.jpeg     :thumbsup:

"Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover John F. Kennedy again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days."

God, I was Meathead in the 1960s, now I've turned into Archie Bunker.  <laughs>  Meathead is still Meathead tho'

th-2470101459.jpeg.037af40f1119c867c7c5c90806446581.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Basically, you can fart and all the lads start laughing at your farts because everything is funny when you're drunk.

Ever light your farts?  Much more fun when you're both stoned and drunk.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I don't know much about wine. 

I'll take your word for it that that wine tastes good and is worth the exorbitant price tag.

In fact, wine is so good that it's highly addictive. You end up drinking it every night, sometimes 2-3 glasses.

It's way too easy to go beyond safe limits where it starts to harm your liver and shrink your brain.

So screw wine. 

If I gave up pizza and cakes and ice cream, I can give up wine too.

Such is life. We're cursed creatures. A lot of stuff that tastes good is not good for us. 

I'll give God a piece of my mind when I see him. 

Why can't alcohol just be good for us, damn you God !!!!

Drinking one day a week works well

6 hours ago, connda said:

Yeahhhh, but you decided to take a detour down this lane:

🤑"Most of them might be losers, came here after a failed marriage, insufficient funds, or any other low income, hoping to forget their misery by buying booze and sometimes sex.

Poor life I'd say."
So you got this reply:
🙄 "It never fails to amaze me, the number of "Holier Than Thou" and "Richer Than You" types who can't wait to pontificate on Aseannow about being morally superior to other expats here." :glare:

I thought the shoe fit, so I put your foot into it and tied the laces for ya.  :thumbsup:

Sorry, I didn't want to point on you personally. 😂. Even if you fit into that category it's up to you. No harm.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Drinking one day a week works well

drinking is a necessary evil for most people

as most people have some degree of  psychological disturbance from hard jobs, failed businesses, failed marriages, fear of death and not knowing what comes after.

the brain needs to release all that tension. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, SoCal1990 said:

So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles?

All a matter of personal choice.

For me at 80 years of age, I prefer sitting in a comfy armchair in one of the plush bars/restaurants in Siem Reap's Pub Street  enjoying a glass of chilled draught Angkor Beer, especially during hot and humid weather. Cannabis is of no interest to me - I hate the smell!

• Agree 1

We all get one body, and we each decide how we want to care for it or abuse it.

Some drink to excess. Some smoke cigarettes. Some eat way too much. Some avoid any form of exercise that would keep them fit. Some smoke weed. Some get tattoos.

If I have a vice, it is wine and beer. A cold beer after a hot day tastes delightful. A nice wine with a meal, especially if shared with my girlfriend or friends, is one of my great pleasures.

I do not like weed, and do not like to be high, whether on drugs or booze. I'm quite fit from the gym, choosing low body fat and muscular definition over a sweet tooth. I find tattoos both a fad and unsightly, noisy even, but to each his or her own. I know 'no booze' is best, but my choice and my body means I will enjoy the pleasures of a good wine and suffer the consequences if there are any. What is life without at least one vice?

Smoking weed or eating edibles purely to get a buzz is not something that appeals to me in any way. People like me drink wine and beer because we enjoy the taste. Nobody smokes weed purely because they like the flavor.

So there's your answer from one poster, OP.

Attached is a photo of some recently enjoyed wines. One is rather pricey, one quite modest, and two mid-priced. All are delightful. Life is too short to drink bad wine, and to the best of my knowledge, money is useless once one is in the box or the urn.

Cheers!

WineA.jpg

• Sad 1

On 10/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, SoCal1990 said:

So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles?

many are infected with the "reefer madness" propaganda which originates from the early part of the last century.  There really is no other logical reason for strong anti cannabis sentiment, which is based on ignorance and fear 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Nobody smokes weed purely because they like the flavor.

That is your personal view  but you cannot speak on behalf of others.   Personally I find it astonishing that anybody would claim to drink any alcoholic beverage for the "taste"    Who are they trying to kid?

• Confused 1