Air con experts

KannikaP

43 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

First, if an air conditioner is undersized or even sized correctly, you will not realize significant savings with an inverter. 

When both units are running "wide open", the power consumption should be similar. Undersized units run "wide-open" most of the time, so the start-stop vs cycle-down is not much of an issue. 

I would guess your return-air temperature on the mitsu is reading higher that the TLC, so it is actually making the air cooler than the TLC.

The outside temperature is significant, because the hotter it is, the harder the condenser (outside unit) has to work. 

The compressor in the condenser uses most of the power. The evaporator (inside unit) is mostly just a fan box. 

The air coming out of the Mitsu is 17C, the TLC manual says 18C, so roughly the same.

OK, I see what you mean about the compressor outside being hotter, but is the refrigerant returning to the compressor at the same temperature it left the inside exchanger?

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

Important to measure room temperature with separate device because accuracy of AC's setting varies between brand.   

I have a digital thermometer showing indoor and 'another' temperature via a probe on a wire ie. outside. Even with the outside probe sitting right next to the indoor unit I get different readings, about 1C different. 555

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

TCL switched from motorised left to right to manual some time ago.

Correct, even though the L/R button is still on the remote and beeps when pressed. Easier to move my chair!

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Good morning experts. I have two 12 year old Mitsu 12000 Mr Slim, on/off air cons in my 36 sq mtr lounge, 3 metres apart on the outside wall.

Last month I bought a TLC Inverter 12000 from Lazada as it was a very good price, Bht 7500, including delivery. My local man came on Sunday and charged me Bht 3000 to remove one of the old ones and fit the TLC.

I decided to compare the efficiency/power usage between the two. I have a ‘smart’ thingy in my fuse box (CU) which sends the electricity consumption to my phone. I turned everything off on the breakers and tested each air con individually setting each at 28C, normal cooling for 20 minutes and recorded the number of units used. Then I did it with the Economy button pressed. Here are my results.

TCL. Normal = 0.50 units, Eco = 0.35, which equates to 1.5 and 1.0 per hour.

Mitsu. Normal = 0.34 units, Eco = 0.28 per hour, 1.0 and 0.72 per hour.

So the old one seems to use less electricity than the new TLC over the period of one hour. WHY?

Also, I wonder exactly how the units work. I know from testing myself that they both pump out cool air at 17-18C. They drawn in air from the room into the top, through the exchanger and back out into the room, until the temperature sensor measures that the air going in is at the temperature you have set on the remote. Then it turns off, or slows down, until that rises, then it turns back on. If you want the room to be cooler, it simply takes longer for the cool air to mix with the room’s air until the desired temperature is reached. The outside temperature is irrelevant, only that the room can get hotter if insulation, windows, curtains etc are not considered and allow the room to heat up.

Can someone explain IN SIMPLE TERMS, no scientific formulae please? Thank you.

I am considering another TLC as they are on offer on Lazada tonight, 10/10. But if the difference in the cost of running the old one is the same or less than the TLC, which will cost me about Bht 11k including fitting, what will be my return on cost per year? OK, a warranty on the TLC, one year on the TLC card, 5 years on Lazada????

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-09 at 10.25.25_4c04f175.jpg

Mitsu.jpg

Reading the figures on these labels, the old Mitsu is predicted to take less per year, 9317, than the new TCL at 9634. Figure that out.

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The air coming out of the Mitsu is 17C, the TLC manual says 18C, so roughly the same.

OK, I see what you mean about the compressor outside being hotter, but is the refrigerant returning to the compressor at the same temperature it left the inside exchanger?

The short answer is no. 

The hotter the ambient outside temperature, the less effective the heat-exchanger works. 

Blowing 35-degree air though a hot coil does not remove heat as effectively as blowing 30-degree air through a hot coil.