Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

webfact

On 10/9/2024 at 11:21 PM, webfact said:

On October 9, a popular Facebook page, "Hodjung Phuket," shared a video clip revealing a foreign man openly selling tour packages to tourists from a street-side booth in Phuket.

Are Thai people somehow hindered to do this ?

So I could make jewelry out of platinum?  

Could a falang draw up  house plans for a house on his wife's land?    Was it legal for me to repair a bamboo chair at mum's or house?  

On 10/10/2024 at 11:50 AM, arithai12 said:

This is part of what you get. The other things are buying condos and villas like peanuts, giving jobs to restaurants and hotels and taxi drivers... basically boosting PhuKet's economy to unseen level - even if I agree that for many of us it was better before. You know there is always two sides to a coin. 

btw, I didn't read the nationality, do you know it?

Disagree. They keep things to their own, not much benefits to locals.

The guy was Russian.

• Agree 1

On 10/10/2024 at 1:03 PM, madmitch said:

If the business is legal and the foreigners selling the tours have work permits then they are doing nothing illegal. No different to to the many foreign owned dive shops that have been operating for years.

Many Russians prefer to deal in their own language 

Can't sell as a foreigner. One can make suggestions, but the tickets and money for that have to be done by a Thai.

Which makes all the foreigners sitting alone in 'their' shops selling, acting illegally.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourist trap: Russian national caught peddling illegal tours in Phuket

Screenshot-2024-10-11-094907-1.png

Police in Phuket are investigating a Russian national accused of illegally selling tours to tourists at a kiosk in Karon.

A 23-second video posted online sparked outrage, with netizens criticising foreigners for allegedly taking jobs from Thai citizens.

“The tour sales profession has been taken away by foreigners. Please ask the page to tell the relevant agencies to help investigate. There are a lot of them in Kata and Karon!”

Tourist Police, led by Lieutenant Colonel Ekkachai Siri, visited the kiosk on Patak Road near Wat Karon yesterday, October 10. Officers from Karon Police and the Tourism and Guide Business Registration Office Southern Region 2 joined the visit.

The Russian man, identified by police as Bordan, was questioned at the scene. Phuket Tourist Police confirmed that Bordan holds a valid work permit issued by the Phuket Provincial Employment Office on April 2. This permit allows him to work for Thai Dream Co Ltd as a manager and coordinator for foreign customers in the tourism business.

Officers verified that Thai Dream Co Ltd is legally registered and possesses a tourism business licence. At the time of the inspection, Nusayati, a 20 year old Thai national, was working as a salesperson at the kiosk, according to Phuket Tourist Police.

“All relevant individuals were asked to come to Karon Police Station for clarification.

“Officers will coordinate with the Phuket Provincial Employment Office to clarify the scope of work for the foreign workers involved. If any violations are found, legal action will be taken.”

The Tourist Police hotline at 1155 is available for people to report any suspicions of foreigners engaging in illegal activities, reported Phuket News.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Phuket News

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-11

news-footer-3.png

image.png

"Officers will coordinate with the Phuket Provincial Employment Office to clarify the scope of work for the foreign workers involved. If any violations are found, legal action will be taken.”

It seems to be more smoke than fire!

But, if there is a need to find something, it will be found. Digging deep enough into small details to find anything petty, which partly confirms the allegations.

After another artificial blown-up "outrage" about an incident with foreigners involved, this is mandatory for not losing face.

If the suspects are Russian, is quite secondary.

This is only an important detail for "foreign" Russian haters.

Just another day in paradise.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

that is not a official list underlined is what they can not do

Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations

• Manual work
  • Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision
  • Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works
  • Wood carving
  • Driving mechanically propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, excluding international aircraft piloting
  • Shop attendance
  • Auction
  • Supervising, auditing or giving service in accountancy excluding internal auditing on occasions
  • Cutting or polishing jewelry
  • Haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment
  • Cloth weaving by hand
  • Weaving of mate or making products from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle
  • Making of Sa paper by hand
  • Lacquer ware making
  • Making of Thai musical instrument
  • Niello ware making
  • Making of products from gold, silver or gold-copper alloy
  • Bronze ware making
  • Making of Thai dolls
  • Making of mattress or quilt blanket
  • Alms bowls casting
  • Making of silk products by hand
  • Casting of Buddha images
  • Knife making
  • Making of paper of cloth umbrella
  • Shoemaking
  • Hat Making
  • Brokerage or agency excluding brokerage or agency in international trade business
  • Engineering work in civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work
  • Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plan, estimating, construction directing or advising
  • Garments making
  • Pottery or ceramic ware making
  • Cigarette making by hand
  • Guide or conducting sightseeing tours
  • Street Vending
  • Type setting of Thai characters by hand
  • Drawing and twisting silk-thread by hand
  • Office or secretarial work
  • Legal or lawsuit services

Thank you for your post in response to mine.

Can you please allow me some fresh questions?

I sometime hear about commercial establishment that is openly advertising 1st World Level  Service by the 1st World staff/technicians.

Do they make it possible by dodging the system/using legal loopholes?

Such as putting up the Business Owner Just In Name(Thai national) for camouflage?

I have heard of that method all the time since my settlement here though.

Does that sort of practice (always) come with Under-The-Table transaction involving  a Brown Envelop(with the local police/immigration?

Some examples of the shops where the foreigners are working  in the Prohibited Field.

Unisex beauty saloons(There are quite a few of them).

Concept - Rikyu BOY (boyrikyu.com)

MOGA MOGA Hair Salon Thailand - Story - MOGA

Edited by black tabby12345

14 minutes ago, black tabby12345 said:

Thank you for your post in response to mine.

Can you please allow me some fresh questions?

I sometime hear about commercial establishment that is openly advertising 1st World Level  Service by the 1st World staff/technicians.

Do they make it possible by dodging the system/using legal loopholes?

Such as putting up the Business Owner Just In Name(Thai national) for camouflage?

I have heard of that method all the time since my settlement here though.

Does that sort of practice (always) comes with Under-The-Table transaction involving  a Brown Envelop(with the local police/immigration?

Some examples of the shops where the foreigners are working  in the Prohibited Field.

Unisex beauty saloons(There are quite a few of them).

Concept - Rikyu BOY (boyrikyu.com)

MOGA MOGA Hair Salon Thailand - Story - MOGA

No comment  read the forum rules

22 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

About the students: As long as they didn't run a kind of "Language School" enterprise, it's just the typical overreaction. Still, I don't think, they've been deported in cages and put on a "naughty list".

The basic question is, how many locals can teach the Korean language or even halfway decent English?
Foreign "NES" tourists, who finished a TEFL-crash course in Phuket are not a solution.

When I determine "stupid laws" in my personal view, it doesn't mean it's the correct choice to ignore or break the law.  Those young students surely got somehow along with the consequences.

But details help to clarify.
You didn't mention, that the student was attending a "degree in Thai language".
But, I ask myself, what is the degree? Master in translation? Master in Thai language history, the development of different dialects...Is it a master's or bachelor's "degree" course?

As long as dinosaurs are in charge, it continues with the one-step up, two-step back syndrome.

So, as you're partly agreeing about the average university degrees,
I'm curious about those completely "foreign-run" programs in the "mid-tier" universities.

The acceptance and efficiency within an ancient, traditional education-, bureaucracy-system, and the corresponding society are mediocre at most. Despite all mantras.

BKK is in Thailand, but Thailand is not only BKK.

I don't believe "The basic question is, how many locals can teach the Korean language or even halfway decent English?" I believe the basic question at hand is the kind of visa the foreigner is on. How many locals can speak any given language is irrelevant.

You're right, I didn't mention that the students were attending degree programs. I suppose I figured that since I mentioned the university names, it would be understood, although I imagine some people do attend university with no intention of attaining a degree. I didn't think it mattered much, since the issue at hand is the visa. But if you'd like to know, one of them was a bachelor's student and one a master's. The bachelor's was something along the lines of Communicative Thai Language (I guess it makes more sense in Thai? To me that degree name sounds strange.) The master's student... I don't know. I only know she was studying in the Thai Language department. But I do know that her thesis had something to do with translation of an epic Chinese poem in Thai. It may have even been Thai linguistics, I don't know.

As to the program completely run by foreigners (I only mentioned that I know of one like this), I'd be reticent to share about it to a stranger or in a public forum because there is conflict at that university about it and it is in a precarious position. There is massive amounts of envy and insecurity among a lot of the Thai faculty and administration about it. There are regular incidents of sensitivities that need assuaging.... It seems to sometimes be on the brink of getting booted. But, I imagine it brings some good money to the university, as well as helps them with university rankings due to the research papers produced by the professors and students. It is also a degree recognized by the US and American students are even eligible for some kinds of US financial assistance, if they qualify, of course. As for other foreigner run programs... I've come across some others over the years. No idea if they still exist. But at one time, there were programs nearly completely staffed by foreigners in Chula and Mahidol. Of course, I can't imagine the position of Dean or even Department Head in those universities ever being allowed to be taken by/given to a foreigner. That would be far too humiliating to the Thais.

I totally and 100% wholeheartedly agree that the traditional bureaucratic education system is far from ideal, to say the least. It sickens me when I think about how much better it could be if the system weren't seemingly only in pursuit of making a profit. Actual education seems so very much to be greatly distant from the various universities' administrations' main pursuit. The detriment to a serious education is overwhelming. But, until someone (or some group) is wealthy enough and cares enough to do differently... it seems this is what society is burdened with.

I have no idea what you meant by, "BKK is in Thailand, but Thailand is not only BKK." I mentioned nothing at all about Bangkok. I don't know what you may be referring to here. It seems to be a statement that virtually anyone in the civilized world would know already without the need of it being stated. I'm guessing that it has some sort of meaning that is going right over my head?

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

So I could make jewelry out of platinum?  

Could a falang draw up  house plans for a house on his wife's land?    Was it legal for me to repair a bamboo chair at mum's or house?  

There are thousands of post on this forum regarding exactly what you are posting  use the search

but in a nutshell if you are working  you are not allowed without a work permit  over the years its a bit more relaxed but i would check if you intended to do anything  people have been fined and banned for cutting the front lawn

7 hours ago, Sig said:

I don't believe "The basic question is, how many locals can teach the Korean language or even halfway decent English?" I believe the basic question at hand is the kind of visa the foreigner is on. How many locals can speak any given language is irrelevant.

You're right, I didn't mention that the students were attending degree programs. I suppose I figured that since I mentioned the university names, it would be understood, although I imagine some people do attend university with no intention of attaining a degree. I didn't think it mattered much, since the issue at hand is the visa. But if you'd like to know, one of them was a bachelor's student and one a master's. The bachelor's was something along the lines of Communicative Thai Language (I guess it makes more sense in Thai? To me that degree name sounds strange.) The master's student... I don't know. I only know she was studying in the Thai Language department. But I do know that her thesis had something to do with translation of an epic Chinese poem in Thai. It may have even been Thai linguistics, I don't know.

As to the program completely run by foreigners (I only mentioned that I know of one like this), I'd be reticent to share about it to a stranger or in a public forum because there is conflict at that university about it and it is in a precarious position. There is massive amounts of envy and insecurity among a lot of the Thai faculty and administration about it. There are regular incidents of sensitivities that need assuaging.... It seems to sometimes be on the brink of getting booted. But, I imagine it brings some good money to the university, as well as helps them with university rankings due to the research papers produced by the professors and students. It is also a degree recognized by the US and American students are even eligible for some kinds of US financial assistance, if they qualify, of course. As for other foreigner-run programs... I've come across some others over the years. No idea if they still exist. But at one time, there were programs nearly completely staffed by foreigners in Chula and Mahidol. Of course, I can't imagine the position of Dean or even Department Head in those universities ever being allowed to be taken by/given to a foreigner. That would be far too humiliating to the Thais.

I totally and 100% wholeheartedly agree that the traditional bureaucratic education system is far from ideal, to say the least. It sickens me when I think about how much better it could be if the system weren't seemingly only in pursuit of making a profit. Actual education seems so very much to be greatly distant from the various universities' administrations' main pursuit. The detriment of a serious education is overwhelming. But, until someone (or some group) is wealthy enough and cares enough to do differently... it seems this is what society is burdened with.

I have no idea what you meant by, "BKK is in Thailand, but Thailand is not only BKK." I mentioned nothing at all about Bangkok. I don't know what you may be referring to here. It seems to be a statement that virtually anyone in the civilized world would know already without the need for it being stated. I'm guessing that it has some sort of meaning that is going right over my head?

In context to repeatedly implementing "half-cooked" laws,

flip-flopping, insisting on outdated "stupid" laws, if considering the economic outlook and demands, it's a basic question. Because it reveals the deficits (Korean language excluded ;-).

Especially in those petty

"Win-Win" examples within student circles.

A lot of empty talk about "hubs" and "boosting"...

In the end, the crash into the same car is obligatory.

My interest in the foreigner-run programs was serious because my daughter is heading to university in two years. But your description of the situation is not  very surprising to me.

The "surprise" to me is its (still) existence.

The BKK area, on average, is the most developed  innovative and intellectual "modern" part of TiT society.

The rest is at least 30 years behind.

With, or without tourism and it's attached Photocopy-, and Visa-"Industry".

Exceptions confirm the rule.

Edited by Maitdjai

34 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Glad you think it nonsense  but it is the LAW

Examples please. You claimed "people have been fined and banned for cutting the front lawn".