best alternative to a fixline internet provider

motdaeng

at my house, there’s only one internet provider available, and no competitors are allowed to operate within the residential community. this provider has been trying to resolve a wifi connecting issue for weeks now, without success.

the problem isn’t the speed, but around 8 different devices can’t connect at all to the wifi or only stay connected for a few hours (including a new vivo phone, all apple devices, xiaomi cctv, tv, etc.). but the same internet landline works through a wifi hotspot (via phone), but this is just a temporary solution. the strange thing is, we didn’t have any issues with the same devices and the same provider for several years ...

what alternatives are there? does anyone have experience with routers that use a sim card? is satellite wifi an option? maybe other advice? 

thank's, motdaeng

Edited by motdaeng
typo

Try using static IP addresses.  It's not a cure but it may fix the symptoms.

I had this with mobiles, we found another router on the network badly configured as an access point.  Our network spans 6 houses over a kilometer in distance.

• Thanks 1

I am in a rural area without a fixed line provider.  I use a True Data only SIM with a TPLINK DECO SIM Router and three TPLINK DECO 6E acting as a Mesh across the house (which has two floors.  We run CCTV, two televisions (Netflix etc) and a Cinema Room, Apple phones and Mac without much problem.  There is a lag sometimes during heavy rain and evening when I think traffic picks up.  But generally I have been very impressed.  

Previous to this we used an AIS SIM Router with Linksys Mesh.  The TPLINK DECO has thus far proved far superior though a "hard" (unplug from electricity) reset is sometimes needed.   Cost for the data from memory is 1299 per month (unlimited).

That being said when fibre does become available I will certainly switch but keep the SIM as backup.

You could look at a Mesh system off your fixed line router and have your devices connect to them?

• Thanks 1