• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Trang Man Confesses to Shooting Neighbour After Argument Escalates

2. 28

Tik Shiro Car Crash Sparks Demand for Alcohol Test Inquiry

3. 251

Are You A Sexpat Or Do You Ride The Backwards Morality Train?

4. 8

Thailand Live Sunday 13 October 2024

5. 45

Illegal land occupation

6. 251

7. 8

8. 8

9. 8

10. 0

University Student Dies After Collision with Truck in Chonburi

11. 0

Hotel Cleaner Arrested for Stealing From Guests in Patong

12. 251

13. 8

14. 0

AIS Prepay

15. 0

Police Raid Nonthaburi Karaoke Bar Catering to Vietnamese Nationals: Weapons & Drugs Seized

Australian non tax resident- non-financial issues.

2 hours ago, CaseyJones said:

Good day,

I have seen some healthy and informative discussion on the financial issues of being non tax resident of Australia.

Are there any other issues to be aware of that are not related to tax/income IE Health, immigration, partner visas etc?

Thanks,

Casey

AFAIK we lose Medicare access after 5 years of absence, but in practice it doesn't seem to be enforced.... probably there is no data matching yet between the border control and Medicare.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gearbox said:

AFAIK we lose Medicare access after 5 years of absence, but in practice it doesn't seem to be enforced.... probably there is no data matching yet between the border control and Medicare.

This is secondhand, so I do not know how reliable it is.

Last year an old Australian friend who had been working in Thailand for about 20 years, but had not been back to Australia for 7-8 years, had to verify his identity online with his Australian bank.  He was required to use 3 of 4 forms of identity - passport number, birth certificate number, Medicare card number or driver's license number - he used the first three, no problems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

This is secondhand, so I do not know how reliable it is.

Last year an old Australian friend who had been working in Thailand for about 20 years, but had not been back to Australia for 7-8 years, had to verify his identity online with his Australian bank.  He was required to use 3 of 4 forms of identity - passport number, birth certificate number, Medicare card number or driver's license number - he used the first three, no problems.

From the government source:

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/before-you-go/activities/retiring-overseas

Living overseas and Medicare

Only Australian residents can use Medicare. You can access Medicare for treatment in Australia up to 5 years after you move overseas. 

After 5 years, you won’t be able to access Medicare unless you move back to Australia to live. You’ll need to re-enrol before you can access payments. You must show proof you intend to stay in Australia to re-enrol. 

However this doesn't seem to be tracked and enforced at the moment. You are ok as long as you have an address in Australia to get Medicare card sent to. There is no guarantee it will be the same in the future. The government has the data from the border to track and enforce, but it seems low on their to do list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is first hand info. I lived in Thailand over 15 yrs until covid 19 pandemics but had short trips back home during that time. There is no problem of having medicare card again but when you want to private health insurance like NIB ,HCF or BUPA they contact Medicare and they do some calculations how long Medicare  claims have not been made or card used , then they charge you more than anyone who is becoming a new member. I think i pay %2 or 2.5 more. That  is all.

I hope this helps

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, gearbox said:

From the government source:

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/before-you-go/activities/retiring-overseas

Living overseas and Medicare

Only Australian residents can use Medicare. You can access Medicare for treatment in Australia up to 5 years after you move overseas. 

After 5 years, you won’t be able to access Medicare unless you move back to Australia to live. You’ll need to re-enrol before you can access payments. You must show proof you intend to stay in Australia to re-enrol. 

However this doesn't seem to be tracked and enforced at the moment. You are ok as long as you have an address in Australia to get Medicare card sent to. There is no guarantee it will be the same in the future. The government has the data from the border to track and enforce, but it seems low on their to do list.

Further to that....as everything else there are grey areas.

https://www.expattaxes.com.au/medicare-for-australian-citizens-overseas/

It is not very clear what happens if you are tax resident and pay Medicare levy but live overseas.

As discussed in the above article the government may take Medicare access as a factor when deciding on tax residency.

And also one subtle thing about travel insurance - all the insurers I know about require the policyholder to be a resident of some country for medical purposes. It is usually the country of citizenship. If the ongoing medical expenses are piling up, they may decide to dump the policyholder to the national health service and terminate the cover. So it is not clear what happens  if you are in trouble, have travel insurance, but not Medicare.

My wife (living in Thailand, but also an Australian ciizen) hadn't used her Medicard for many years and recently asked me to get a new one when I was last in Australia. From memory, it was ultimately easy to do (e.g. there were no checks) but we had to provide 2 separate  'proof of address'. She did have 2 Australian bank accounts an we printed out statements which were accepted.

You need to maintain an active account in 'MyGov' where you can link to Medicare, the Tax Office etc. This amkes things simpler, but you do need an Australian addess.

• Agree 1

Im non tax resident been here 22 years never had any issues with BOQ or Anz 

They both have sent cards to me here but i have still used my Aus address too for my statements 

I did try go paperless but only Anz came to the party Boq still send me a statement on my overseas incoming funds? 

9 hours ago, gearbox said:

It is not very clear what happens if you are tax resident and pay Medicare levy but live overseas.

I maintain private health insurance in Australia, so I am covered. 

This is a similar issue to the non resident taxation issue.  The data bases are all starting to communicate with each other, and when Australia moves to a physical presence and time based model for tax residency, for sure it will have some form of impact on the availability of Medicare for expats. 

Basically, the days of living overseas for years, and paying no Medicare levy, and flying back to Australia for free medical treatment, will be over, and the 5 years enforced. 

It will not matter if you have an "address" in Australia because they will know you are not living at that address, and in fact are living overseas. 

As I have said, one should not rely upon Medicare for treatment of serious injuries or illnesses. 

9 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

You need to maintain an active account in 'MyGov' where you can link to Medicare, the Tax Office etc. This amkes things simpler, but you do need an Australian addess.

As just mentioned in a previous post, the day is coming where there will be no point being able to supply an address, when the government data bases know you are not living at that address, and are living overseas. 

2 hours ago, pest said:

Im non tax resident been here 22 years never had any issues with BOQ or Anz 

They both have sent cards to me here but i have still used my Aus address too for my statements 

I did try go paperless but only Anz came to the party Boq still send me a statement on my overseas incoming funds? 

Why would there be any issues? 

All it means is you pay a higher rate of tax. 

I was overseas for the 2000's and my Vic licence expired as I was using a UAE licence. I was shocked to find that if your licence expires more than 5 years you can't renew and you have to do the entire licence test again like a learner driver (even though I had UAE licence)

Luckily I was flying into Qld 4 years and 11 months after Vic licence expiry and renewed/converted it to Qld licence no problem using my sister's address

Note: you can now renew online if licence expired less than 6 months

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

Also, as a non-resident for tax for 9 years my Medicare card expired. I renewed it while non-resident without any issue. 

I didn't use medicare card though as didn't want want to jeopardise non-resident status for a $35 GP rebate. It was nice to have if ever needed in an emergency though.

Edited by Pattaya57

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Note: you can now renew online if licence expired less than 6 months

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think age has something to do with renewing online. 

Once over a certain age, I don't think you can renew online, because you have to read the eye sight chart. 

One minor thing to consider is your passport really isn't a 10 year passport.  It's actually a 9.5 year passport. 

You will not be allowed to board a flight with a passport with less than 6 months validity. 

Probably ok for a flight back to Australia, but for any other international travel, you need 6 months validity.

So, best to get a new passport prior to 9.5 years. 

I have no idea why this rule is in place.  Someone looking to have a 2 week holiday in Thailand, and they still have 5 months left on their passport, what's the problem?