Sri Lankan Man Arrested in Wichit for Illegally Constructing House

webfact

image.jpeg

A Sri Lankan man was arrested in Wichit after he was found illegally building a house.

The Phuket Immigration told the Phuket Express that this week they arrested MR. K PIYARALALA, a Sri Lankan national, at an under-construction house near a beach in Ao Makham in Wichit.

He was found building a house. He was taken to the Wichit Police Station to face the charge of working without legal permission.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 

-- 2024-10-12

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Confused 1

I guess my response to this depends upon whether he was building something for himself, or whether he was working for hire.

If the former, any foreigner who does anything to improve their home is potentially a criminal.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I guess my response to this depends upon whether he was building something for himself, or whether he was working for hire.

If the former, any foreigner who does anything to improve their home is potentially a criminal.

For me it seems clear.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Indeed.

I recall a guy in Chiang Mai who was doing some gardening work in his house (that the wife owned) and one of the neighbours was complaining. His wife translated and he got her to try and explain to the woman that he was not 'working' (employed) and that only doing basic gardening stuff. He also got her to ask the woman if it was OK when he drove their car or cooked a Thai meal. The woman reluctantly accepted that although some jobs were reserved for Thais only (such as a driver or a cook), he was not employed and was not being paid.

Unfortunately, a lot of Thais think Expats are not allowed to do those things - when the Law is very clear that they are not allowed to be employed/work in certain roles. In this case, the guy does not have the necessary licences/certifications to build a house.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Sounds more like the latter.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

"...any foreigner who does anything to improve their home is potentially a criminal".

Nonsense.

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There was not the slightest suggestion that he was working on his own property.

Yes there was.  In my experience, building a house commercially is seldom a one man job.  The original post didn't mention any other workers or an employer.

(That said, user stevenl subsequently provided additional information suggesting that it was indeed a commercial arrangement.)