Top 10 Thai Universities Ranked Globally, Chulalongkorn Leads

Georgealbert

3 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Good canteen and nice location. 

A place to "park" your retarded kid until he/she will "graduate" it. 

I knew few guys whose kids graduated Ass. Uni barely speaking Eng and none Thai. 

Grads from Regent School Bkk

There are some private Thai universities that don't even appear on the rankings radar and yet still do good job in some areas such as dentistry, business, and radio/TV/publishing in Thailand itself. Chula and Mahidol are not that much better qualitatively. Mahidol and Chula, however, have their greatest advantage in the credential they provide, which is all that matters to some Thai institutions and companies. Also something going on with private Thai universities is that they are bringing lots and lots of PRC Chinese students to study in Thailand. In most cases these are graduate degrees the Chinese are looking for. It's a quick credential they can apply to their jobs back in China. There are many Chinese students in Thailand between the ages of 25 and 50 doing precisely this. I've met them, btw, and they are smart, disciplined, and talented. They don't have the money to go to American or European universities and so come here.

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

BTW, if anyone is interested in comparing the various ratings, you can go here: https://www.universityrankings.ch/

Many interesting breakdowns. For example, here is Mahidol: https://www.universityrankings.ch/institutions/id4889-mahidol_university-thailand

The two ratings systems that most universities are chasing after are QS and then Times. There is a complicated history especially between those two. But none of this really matters much for Thai universities outside of the medical schools. And that is because research is far and away the most important criterium in advancing in the rankings. The journals important to rankings, moreover, are in English, with the largest number in the US and UK. Thai speaking faculty are thus at a disadvantage, along with every other non-English speaker without advanced English writing skills, in getting published. It makes it all but impossible for Thai universities to advance in the rankings. Again, the medical schools are the exception.

https://www.universityrankings.ch/institutions/id4889-mahidol_university-thailand&ranking_by_fields=QS

https://www.universityrankings.ch/institutions/id4873-chulalongkorn_university-thailand&ranking_by_fields=QS

Note the tables below the graphs. It's easier to see that, except for Mahidol's medicine faculty, all the other faculties have dropped like a rock since 2004.

53 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Good canteen and nice location. 

A place to "park" your retarded kid until he/she will "graduate" it. 

I knew few guys whose kids graduated Ass. Uni barely speaking Eng and none Thai. 

Grads from Regent School Bkk

F=ma....

I guess.

But, who really cares, these days?

21 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And that is because research is far and away the most important criterium

Right!

And, as we ALL know....

A criterium is a one-day bicycle race on a circuit road course.

Round and Round they go...

Where they end up....

Nobody knows.

Very Interesting studies. When I met my Thai wife in Thailand she was enrolled at King Mongut University for a PhD in Information Technology. Unfortunately, she had to withdraw from the program after I took her back to my country for marriage. We stayed out of Thailand for five years. Now back in Thailand she is again enrolled in a PhD program for Technology Management from a Thai University in Bangkok. This University is not ranked on the list posted on this forum. While back in my country she completed another Master's degree in computer science. She now has two. Even though she now has a good grasp of English in both reading, writing and speaking, it has been a tremendous struggle complete her PhD dissertation in English. I think a universities ranking means nothing to a student who's independent research involves outside sources of information. 

6 minutes ago, dutch boy said:

I think a universities ranking means nothing to a student who's independent research involves outside sources of information. 

Obviously nothing. Agree 

2 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Obviously nothing. Agree 

Yes.

It means absolutely NOTHING to have a Nobel Laureate teaching you first-year Physics....and it meant absolutely nothing to me.

I guess.

Most students here have probably never even heard of the Ig Nobel Prize...after all....

image.png.92269dbc1c1f134c5b577407619fc6f5.png

We are existing here in one of the most well-known academic backwaters of the world.

And, we LIKE it like this...too!