SNL's Sarah Sherman Responds to Liam Gallagher's Criticism of Oasis Sketch

Social Media

image.png

The volatile dynamic between Oasis brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher became the subject of a "Saturday Night Live" sketch, which recently drew the ire of Liam Gallagher himself. In a humorous take on the duo's infamous relationship, SNL cast member Sarah Sherman portrayed Liam, while James Austin Johnson took on the role of Noel. However, after the sketch aired, Liam didn't hold back his thoughts on the impersonation.

A fan asked the Oasis frontman on X (formerly Twitter) if he had seen the sketch, to which Liam sarcastically responded, “Are they meant to be comedians?” His pointed remark made it clear that he wasn't amused by the SNL portrayal of himself and his brother. 

Sarah Sherman, who played Liam in the skit, didn't stay silent. She took to X as well, responding to Liam's jab with a bit of admiration, writing, “LEGEND!!!!!!!!” accompanied by a raised hand emoji, signaling both respect and humor in her reply.

The sketch aired during the Weekend Update segment and revolved around the idea of the Gallagher brothers potentially reuniting for a tour. In the bit, Colin Jost asks if the pair will manage to work together. “I’m cool if he’s cool,” Johnson, portraying Noel, responds. Sherman, as Liam, fires back, “I’m cool. I’m cool. I’m cooler than you are.” Jost’s character humorously quips, “Great, so that’s a no.”

The playful banter continues as Noel sings a line reminiscent of their hit song “Wonderwall”: “We said maybe if Liam doesn’t act like a baby.” The sketch playfully emphasizes the brothers’ childish rivalry.

The reaction to the sketch was mixed, with some viewers sharing Liam's sentiment. One user commented on a video clip of the performance posted on X, saying, “Should be a significant cash prize for anyone who can make it past 1 minute of this.” Another remarked, “What a terrible day to have eyes and ears,” highlighting the divisive nature of the skit.

The SNL parody comes in the wake of the Gallagher brothers' recent announcement that they would be reuniting for a tour in 2025, more than 15 years after Noel left the band following a heated argument with Liam at a Paris music festival. Despite their decision to tour together again, tensions between the brothers remain evident. 

This week, Liam revealed why the two would not be conducting interviews together in the lead-up to the tour, stating, “We don’t want to do interviews coz we’re scared of the media asking us intrusive questions and trying to pick holes in our relationship,” when responding to a fan on X. While they may be ready to share a stage again, the brothers appear to be treading cautiously to avoid rekindling old disputes.

Based on a report from The Daily Beast | X 2024-10-15

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

The problem with that sketch wasn't whether it was offensive or not, but whether it was funny. It just wasn't. This reminds me of the furor surrounding the cancellation of Ellen Degeneres' sitcom. Supposedly it was cancelled because she came out but the fact is that the big problem with the was that it wasn't funny. At least, not funny enough to get good ratings.

Edit: I should note that I think Sarah Sherman is great. It's just this sketch that wasn't.

Edited by placeholder
  • Agree 1

I view this skit as a "parody," not the usual low-level "snicker" standup comedy found typically in SNL skits. Parody: (Google "meaning)

• a humorous or mocking imitation of something, using the same form as the original.
  • a creative work that is created in order to imitate, comment on, critique, and / or mock its subject.

Perhaps that is the attraction of SNL. You never know how it will find and present current events.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You just can't take the complaints of thin-skinned people with either overblown egos, or low self-esteem seriously. It's comedy, anything goes in comedy, and if somebody takes offense to it, it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean anything, it's comedy.

Get a life people. Stop taking yourself so damn seriously. 

But it isn't funny in the least.

There are plenty of oasis parodies that are.

liam gallahger is too much of an asshat not to mock, but this is lame as <deleted>  

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I view this skit as a "parody," not the usual low-level "snicker" standup comedy found typically in SNL skits. Parody: (Google "meaning)

• a humorous or mocking imitation of something, using the same form as the original.
  • a creative work that is created in order to imitate, comment on, critique, and / or mock its subject.

Perhaps that is the attraction of SNL. You never know how it will find and present current events.

look at you mansplaining the obvious. what a crock 'o nonsense. Call it what you want,  it fails to be funny.

This was indeed painful to watch.   They should really try scripting it in advance rather than attempting to ad-lib something thrown together at the last minute without any kind of rehearsal, especially if they could not find any comedians to participate in this sketch.