Its too expensive I may leave

georgegeorgia

41 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Seems a lot of trouble 

Do you rent ?

FFS just spray Exit mould in there

Reminds me the guy at work who spends his Saturday night off polishing his stove 

Do you call the clean up Trouble?

I clean up my bathroom thoroughly simply because I like to do so.

As I value where I stay(have lived for many years).

That's all.

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

Well, the response to this is that expats should avoid those restaurants charging the western prices.  Tourists will see this too and learn to avoid those restaurants because they can only support the restaurant with foreigners as locals cannot afford western prices.  Once tourists and expats do avoid the restaurants, they will have problems unless they lower their prices so will hav e to close or let workers leave.  That is why in the west, competition means that restaurants have to offer better prices if they want to keep their customers or those folks will go to the cheaper place for the same type meal.

And if the Thai economy was entirely built on restaurant pricing then you might have a point.

You may not have noticed but the Thai authorities don't seem to be bothered about pricing out the cheap charlies be they tourists or migrants.

There are plenty of other destinations where someone on a modest income can live comfortably but Thailand is falling off that list.

The country isn't a retirement home for impecunious westerners any more.

On 10/16/2024 at 6:25 PM, Lacessit said:

easy enough for a single person to live in Thailand on that.

Yes, I agree, in fact an elderly friend has raised 2 kids on it. It's still quite a way short of the 65k required for an extension tho. So they need 800,000 baht in the bank, 400k of which has to be there for the year. 

34 minutes ago, retarius said:

Thailand has become poor value for money. Unless you smoke heavily, drink heavily in pubs, and eat Thai food, it is very expensive.

You would be eating your words if you had to buy or rent housing in Australia.

The average rent at the condo where i live ( swimming pool, shop, restaurant ) is 7500 baht/month. Show me anywhere else in the world where it is that cheap in a city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuddyPish said:

And if the Thai economy was entirely built on restaurant pricing then you might have a point.

You may not have noticed but the Thai authorities don't seem to be bothered about pricing out the cheap charlies be they tourists or migrants.

There are plenty of other destinations where someone on a modest income can live comfortably but Thailand is falling off that list.

The country isn't a retirement home for impecunious westerners any more.

If yuo recall, last year the big news in local media was the fact that a cup of coffee at Starbucks was more expensive here in Bangkok than it was in Gerrmany!  Unreal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

They are normally free in Australia. Your link is American. 

They are free for pensioners and if you can't find a bulk billing doctor you pay for the doctor and never get the full amount back 

20 hours ago, BuddyPish said:

Has nothing to do with cheap, it is simply expensive for inferior service and quality on top. I earn 3x median wages and I still would rather spend it elsewhere at this point. I would not have gotten to this stage and income in life, if I would think naive like yourself.

Thailand is everything except cheap at this stage for the average westerner. It is just cheaper than capital cities i in the west, that are insane expensive, even for people that earn 10K USD a month, that still isn't that much there. Otherwise it is cheaper in even Spain.

I mean even a decent average hotel in Bangkok costs the same nowadays lol. My breakfast, lunch, coffees too. Perhaps only for dinner I could decide to eat MSG street food cheaper instead of cooking a decent meal in europe at home. But for 6-7$ i could eat out there too.

Today so far: 2 coffees 140 baht, 1 breakfast 160 baht, 1 moto taxi ride one way 55 baht, fruit juice soon 60 baht. I didn't even turn my ass yet or I already lost 415 baht today. The same used to cost me 200-250 baht all incl. here.

Then go in another taxi, do some tourist activity, 1500 baht gone again. Then lunch, snack, drink 300 baht gone again. Then before it is evening even a super boring simple tourist, without any alcohol or partying, would be down by 2000 baht already. 

No wonder you don't see a single soul in nightlife nowdays, if you did that on top, we are now down 6000 baht by sleeping time.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

He also said blood tests are free in OZ 

Average Prices of Common Blood Tests

https://livewell.com/finance/how-much-do-blood-tests-cost-without-insurance/

Why would you link an American article on blood test costs in relation to blood tests in Aus?

Blood tests are free in Oz. I've been getting full blood tests every 6 months since 2014. My GP originally bulk billed for the check-up but that is much harder to find now. 

The actual drawing of blood is free at a pathology clinic and the lab work and GP giving you the results is free (all covered by medicare). I also got a free ultrasound on liver once due results of the blood tests.

Edited by Pattaya57

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why would you link an American article on blood test costs in relation to blood tests in Aus?

Blood tests are free in Oz. I've been getting full blood tests every 6 months since 2014. My GP originally bulk billed for the check-up but that is much harder to find now. 

The actual drawing of blood is free at a pathology clinic and the lab work and GP giving you the results is free

OF course they are free, healthcare is a human right lol. Thailand just ignores those too when wanting to. It's funny how people seem to lose their sense for common western sense and reality when living here too long, forgetting these things.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 10/17/2024 at 12:15 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Since the OP is obviously very poor only making $5 an hour mopping floors for the Australian Public Service

And here's me thinking he was in Pattaya or up North somewhere, and that's why he's leaving Thailand.

Silly me!

Edited by KannikaP

On 10/17/2024 at 12:34 PM, advancebooking said:

Yes, meds are free through the public hospital system.

I don't know about your Public Hospital, but at Narusan University in Phitsanulok, the longest wait is at the Pharmacy, where I see many Thais paying for their meds. 

How much does it cost to live in Australia, then? Say, average living expenses in a big city assuming you rent.

For me, rent is a lot cheaper here than in the US, utilities are much cheaper, Internet, imported food is outrageous but you can still get chicken for 80 baht and pork 120 baht at kilo at Big C. How does that compare? Also in the US in most places you have to have a car, insurance is expensive, so maybe you need $60,000 a year minimum?  I have seen articles in which people claim that can't survive on $200,000.

On 10/16/2024 at 7:28 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Firstly , Australia forces it's citizens to do a 2 year resident before being able to go overseas ,so that's why you see many going back for their "2 year jail term" 

You also lose your rent assistance allowance etc if overseas

But...unlike the UK the Australian system is Means tested so you aren't eligible for old age pension (67) if you have more that I think 200k,? in your bank account,so no use retiring at 67 with retirement savings you won't get the pension 

,better to retire at 62 and SPEND it all before 67 if you want the pension !!! 

Buy your house and car etc in Thailand before you reach pension age.

On 10/14/2024 at 8:13 PM, MalcolmB said:

with the millions of bigger spending Chinese and Russians here now  I doubt any of the Thais will notice the thrifty Aussies pensioners are missing.

I certainly won’t miss them.

Why do you care?

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

They are free for pensioners and if you can't find a bulk billing doctor you pay for the doctor and never get the full amount back 

Blood tests are free ,not sure what doctor you go to 

I use a bulk billing GP and anyway even if you didn't use a bulk billing doctor the blood test is free