Op out of contact payment for debit/credit cards (no pin req'd)

1610 2024

I just got back from France where I experienced the growth of payment by contact with a card reader w/o the need for a pin, except occasionally.

It happens here too but I did not realize it until my trip there.  I have been walking around with lots of debit/credit cards in my pocket which, if lost, could bankrupt me.(!!!)

I went to one of the banks here and asked if I could make my cards require 2 x confirmation by text or email and they said no, cannot.

Is this true?  I didn't press them at the bank about this as I have occasionally found bank employees not well versed in answers to unusual questions.

I have 3 banks, not because I have lots of money; living in a rural community means a local bank, a main BKK city bank and one more for some forgotten reason.

They all function equally well (or other) and I have thought that a solution could be to use one card only for purchases in person or online.  Then just transfer only enough funds to cover purchases as they are made or anticipated.  Leaving all other cards in a safe place at home.

I bought a card holder wallet with a neck cord in France and that is where my cards live now, safe(ish) from lost.

Any ideas about insisting on a 2 factor ID from a Thai Bank?  I have not enquired beyond asking one bank so there may be a simple solution; hope so.

I have been caught up with an authenticator (google) app that issues codes that are not accepted so that is not a good solution for me just now.

Any comment very welcome, thankyouverymuch.🤯🙏🏼

Thanks Wiil B Good.  I'll check at the bank about reducing the limit.

Who is that monster in your picture window? 

If it is a joke this subscriber doesn't get it.

Sorry, but this man will destroy the world given the chance and a bunch of inbred hillbillies might just give him the opportunity.

The fate of the world may rest in the hands of a collection of US high school dropouts who have not travelled much beyond the end of their driveway.

The man has been described as the biggest threat to world security; coming from the country that has been constantly at war since its conception.

War is when the rich and powerful send the poor to defend their honour, or some such obscure reason. 

Peace🙏🏼

• Confused 1

What you can do depends on your bank(s) at least to some extent, but I don't think there's an option to opt out of contactless payments specifically with any Thai bank.

With Kasikorn Bank, for example,  you can adjust the limits within the app and also have the option to disable a card temporarily.

Provided you use the apps for all your banks it is very easy to enable/disable your cards.  And change the limits on them.  So unless you use a card every day turn them all off and just remember to enable them when needed.  If you don't use the apps then this will be a real pain of course!