Obtaining a Marriage Visa after Privilege Visa Expires

My Thailand Privilege visa expires early next year, but I will still have permission to stay in Thailand for much of next year. The "6th year" of the Thailand Privilege visa.

I've been married to my Thai partner of 8 years for several years now, but I wasn't planning to convert to a marriage visa immediately for a number of reasons.

Once my Privilege Visa has expired, will I still be able to apply for a marriage visa in Thailand or will I need to do that outside Thailand? I'm assuming it's the latter, as I'll no longer have a valid visa to convert. But I'd be happy if I'm wrong! 

17 hours ago, ettcuk said:

My Thailand Privilege visa expires early next year, but I will still have permission to stay in Thailand for much of next year. The "6th year" of the Thailand Privilege visa.

I've been married to my Thai partner of 8 years for several years now, but I wasn't planning to convert to a marriage visa immediately for a number of reasons.

Once my Privilege Visa has expired, will I still be able to apply for a marriage visa in Thailand or will I need to do that outside Thailand? I'm assuming it's the latter, as I'll no longer have a valid visa to convert. But I'd be happy if I'm wrong! 

I cannot answer the underlying question - but, to clarify:  It is the "permitted stay" which you would be extending - the visa being expired is not an issue. 

But, the Elite Visa is not a "Non-Immigrant" type of visa, so you would be unlikely to be able to go directly to a 1-year extension-of-stay - though I would still ask.  

Would they let you apply for a 90-day Non-O Visa based on marriage, which could then be extended, from a "Privilege Visa" permitted-stay?  The forms used for this are for "Tourist" and "Visa Exempt" - still worth asking at Immigration. 

Hopefully, someone who has done this can chime-in.  Worst case, run up to Savannakhet or Vientiane and get your 90-Day Non-O Visa there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree with Rob above.

You'll first have to obtain a Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse.
I doubt Immigration would allow you to apply for that in Country as technically the procedure is for those who entered VE or on a TV, but no harm asking.

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=2506 Click on No.6 to open a PDF for the procedure.

The alternative is applying at Savannahket for a single entry Non Imm O based on Thai spouse. Currently, no proof of funds required. (Or other local Thai Embassy, subject to requirements)
On entry to Thailand, you'll be granted permission of stay for 90 days.
Within the last 30 days of that 90 days, you can apply for the 1 year permission of stay based on Thai spouse.

Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank account, your sole name, for 2 months prior to submitting the application.

Edited by Liquorice

OP, the above replies align with the PM I previously sent you.

Immigration will advise you cannot obtain non O from your permission of stay in the "6th year" however no harm in asking.

Your options would be border bounce without reentry permit after PE visa expires and obtain non O at your immigration office or as suggested above obtain non O in nearby country Thai embassy/consulate. 

Note that by the time you may need to do this eVisa (most likely) available

• Like 1

On 10/17/2024 at 9:47 AM, ettcuk said:

You'd better double check whether that's ok. Think I have read here that Thailand Elite had warned against that a few years ago.

50 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

You'd better double check whether that's ok. Think I have read here that Thailand Elite had warned against that a few years ago.

Thai Elite visa is no different to any other long stay type visa, whereas the validity of the visa, and the validity of the period of stay are different.

The Non O-A visa for example is valid for 1 year to enter Thailand.
You can enter on the expiry date of the visa, but still be granted permission of stay for a further year.

Whilst Immigration and agents alike continue to use the term 'visa' for everything, they confuse themselves.
A visa permits travel to and request entry to a Thailand..
The period of stay (a permit, not a visa) is granted on entry (permitted to stay until ....) subject to the type of visa.
It is this permission of stay you apply to extend .
A visa cannot be extended.