Going inside Kad Suan Kaew

clokwise

I was there a few years ago and was surprised to see a full-sized ice hockey rink (on the same floor as the blowing alley)- it had been abandoned for quite a while and it must have been a very long time since it was used (it was pretty decrepit, especially along the outer wall).  It was normally closed off, but they opened it for an event (the bleachers were still in place, and the floor of the rink was still pretty smooth and solid).  The bowling area, in comparison, looked brand new.

A lot of money and effort went into that place.

4 minutes ago, flare said:

I was there a few years ago and was surprised to see a full-sized ice hockey rink (on the same floor as the blowing alley)- it had been abandoned for quite a while and it must have been a very long time since it was used (it was pretty decrepit, especially along the outer wall).  It was normally closed off, but they opened it for an event (the bleachers were still in place, and the floor of the rink was still pretty smooth and solid).  The bowling area, in comparison, looked brand new.

A lot of money and effort went into that place.

What year was it that you went there ??

How long ago is a few years ago ?

10-15 years ago ?

31 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

What year was it that you went there ??

How long ago is a few years ago ?

10-15 years ago ?

Not more than 5 (not too long before the mall closed- I can't remember exactly when it was, but I'm going by how old my daughter would have been).  There was some event held there that she attended.  I was actually surprised they allowed it to be used as it was in a part of the mall you'd never otherwise access, and would normally have had the entrance blocked.  I wandered around a bit, and the flooring leading to the area near an outside stairwell had missing sections and gaps in it which looked very dangerous (though this area was sectioned off and blocked by a gate).  It looked like the refrigeration equipment for the ice rink was still in place, and even the old concession stand was still there.

I was struck by how the large, high-ceilinged space was essentially going unused (I didn't get the feeling many events were held there)- it seemed like such a waste.

Edited by flare

On 10/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, Lacessit said:

I really have to wonder if people even use cinemas nowadays. With wide screen TV's and Netflix, Amazon etc. why bother?

I haven't been inside a movie theater since August of 1992, when my students took me to see the opening of Terminator 2 in Japan. While a few movies may look better on a large screen, not having to deal with crowds, noise, inability to stop the movie when I want to refill my cup, etc. keep me watching at home.

On 10/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, Lacessit said:

I really have to wonder if people even use cinemas nowadays. With wide screen TV's and Netflix, Amazon etc. why bother?

Isn't there still an old school cinema right across the street from Kad Suan Kaew in that complex of buildings?

I saw a movie there back in 2005 called 'An American Haunting'. I remember it being a private screening. There was nobody else in the entire theater.

There was also a language school in there where I signed up for classes to get an education visa. I ended up just dropping out and going to Hong Kong if I remember correctly.

Edited by JimTripper