US Visa for Thai Citizen - Do they have an Undisclosed Quota.

A friend's partner got knocked back with her USA visa application - declined under section 214B on the grounds that she hadn't evidenced sufficient ties to Thailand.

Absolute nonsense and the submitted paperwork showed:-

She is a Thai citizen aged 55 and has an English de-facto partner of 10 years - she is a housewife.  Her partner evidenced a 6 figure UK bank balance. She owns a house and land where she has lived for 30+ years. She has traveled international and was granted a UK visa earlier this year.

The reason for the visit is a one week trip to join a family wedding anniversary in Las Vegas.

There is absolutely no risk of flight and UKVI determined that "on the balance of probability the applicant would return to Thailand...." when granting the UK visa.

Any advice should the applicant choose to reapply would be welcome.

It has always been difficult for single women to obtain a visa to visit the US.

Not having significant formal employment works against her. Her partner's UK bank balance doesn't evidence strong ties to Thailand.

She might have a better chance of success if she were able to demonstrate that her partner has been in Thailand for a number of years and either owns a company or has a good job. In such a case, being legally  married to her partner would probably help.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

She is a Thai citizen aged 55 and has an English de-facto partner of 10 years - she is a housewife.  Her partner evidenced a 6 figure UK bank balance. She owns a house and land where she has lived for 30+ years. She has traveled international and was granted a UK visa earlier this year.

I wouldn't have mentioned her partners bank balance.  That doesn't help show ties to Thailand.  It just makes it look like they could afford to stay and live in the US together.

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It has always been difficult for single women to obtain a visa to visit the US.

Not having significant formal employment works against her. Her partner's UK bank balance doesn't evidence strong ties to Thailand.

She might have a better chance of success if she were able to demonstrate that her partner has been in Thailand for a number of years and either owns a company or has a good job. In such a case, being legally  married to her partner would probably help.

Good luck.

See. it's crazy ..she doesn't need employment she is fully financially supported by her partner who is retired with a pension of £40k p a. plus £100j+ in the bank and property assets of £250k.

When I helped a female Thai friend get her 10 year tourist visa to the USA, we hired a agent.  They suggested I keep my name completely out of the process.  I did, and she got approved first try.  She had a good Thai job and had gone to college in Aus, but no assets to speak of.

My takeaway...  Pay the experts to do what they do every day of the week.  I don't recall what it cost, but I didn't flinch.  And I'm a cheap bastard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

See. it's crazy ..she doesn't need employment she is fully financially supported by her partner who is retired with a pension of £40k p a. plus £100j+ in the bank and property assets of £250k.

The issue isn't financial support or how much money her partner has in the UK. The issue is her ties to Thailand and how likely she is to return. 

Having a foreign partner who has a good UK pension and money outside Thailand would actually increase the doubt in the consular official's mind about her returning. Why would she return if she and her partner aren't employed in Thailand and her partner has his assets and pensions outside Thailand?

7 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The issue isn't financial support or how much money her partner has in the UK. The issue is her ties to Thailand and how likely she is to return. 

Having a foreign partner who has a good UK pension and money outside Thailand would actually increase the doubt in the consular official's mind about her returning. Why would she return if she and her partner aren't employed in Thailand and her partner has his assets and pensions outside Thailand?

Nonsense .

She couldn't have stronger ties to Thailand - and if there were sufficient reasons to return to satisfy UKVI then it should be good enough for the Yanks 

As it happens she hates America (no justifiable reason) abd they are only going for a week for a relatives wedding anniversary in Las Vegas. She can't wait to get back to the fields of Isaan.

35 minutes ago, impulse said:

When I helped a female Thai friend get her 10 year tourist visa to the USA, we hired a agent.  They suggested I keep my name completely out of the process.  I did, and she got approved first try.  She had a good Thai job and had gone to college in Aus, but no assets to speak of.

My takeaway...  Pay the experts to do what they do every day of the week.  I don't recall what it cost, but I didn't flinch.  And I'm a cheap bastard.

It seems that being wealthy and not needing to work is no longer an advantage!! What a forked up world we livevin.

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It seems that being wealthy and not needing to work is no longer an advantage!! What a forked up world we livevin.

I think you're missing the point of my post, which is that agents know what works, this week.  They keep up with the trends and intricacies, and even the stupidities.  That's my recommendation.  Pay someone who knows.

But I'd suggest that be plan A.  Once they've been declined, I don't imagine the odds go up on any 2nd try, unless there's some time in between.  (In fact, is there a waiting period before she can apply again?  I don't claim to know)

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Nonsense .

She couldn't have stronger ties to Thailand

If you think she couldn't have stronger ties, you are really not understanding what that means.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Nonsense .

She couldn't have stronger ties to Thailand - and if there were sufficient reasons to return to satisfy UKVI then it should be good enough for the Yanks 

As it happens she hates America (no justifiable reason) abd they are only going for a week for a relatives wedding anniversary in Las Vegas. She can't wait to get back to the fields of Isaan.

It may not seem very fair, but that's how US visa issuance works.

Significant employment in Thailand or business ownership are factors that indicate a likelihood to return. This applies to the applicant and spouse/partner if there is one, especially if the spouse/partner isn't Thai.