Some advice/opinions please on moving to Hua Hin

delgarcon

I`ve been living in Koh Phangan for several years as a retiree, but the time has come for me to move to the mainland. I`m 80 years old and my gf is in her 50`s and we are looking after a young schoolgirl (a relative of my gf), who needs regular hospital treatment, which she can`t get in KP. I, myself will probably need dialysis soon, which, again I can`t get in KP.

The 3 of us are very happy together, but we need to be closer to  essential amenities.

I own a 2 bedroom house, which I can rent for around 60,000 tbh and from what I see, rentals seem to be much cheaper in Hua Hin.

I`m a Brit btw and still pretty active and don`t speak Thai.

I`d be grateful for opinions (pros and cons) on living in Hua Hin, which we will probably visit next month for the first time.

Many thanks

Tony

You don't mention anything about having your own transport, if you or your GF doesn't drive then I wouldn't recommend Hua Hin as from what I've seen on my 5-6 visits there, things are quite spaced out.... Pattaya may serve your needs better. 

Before people jump in about Pattaya being a "Cesspit", it is possible to live here without being exposed to the "Nightlife", I live at Wongamat beach which has nothing like "That" but does have Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (Private) & Bang Lamung (Government) Hospital approx. 10 mins away + a pretty decent government school 5 mins away.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You don't mention anything about having your own transport, if you or your GF doesn't drive then I wouldn't recommend Hua Hin as from what I've seen on my 5-6 visits there, things are quite spaced out.... Pattaya may serve your needs better. 

Before people jump in about Pattaya being a "Cesspit", it is possible to live here without being exposed to the "Nightlife", I live at Wongamat beach which has nothing like "That" but does have Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (Private) & Bang Lamung (Government) Hospital approx. 10 mins away + a pretty decent government school 5 mins away.

Thanks for your reply Milke, We have motorbikes and a small car. so getting around no problem and the facilities are what I'm looking for. I'll pay a visit next month.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You're going to get mixed reviews / advice on Hua Hin.  I'm not personally a fan, but can see the attraction at times.  

#1 plus for you ... Hua Hin Hosp (govt) is quite good, from experience (1), possibly life saving, or not.  Though not familiar with the dialysis dept.  Also a couple private hosp., which I have no experience with.

Others love that it caters to the western palate, though fails miserably IMHO.  Along with bland Thai food offerings.  Good shopping, 2 large malls, & Villa Markets.  Couple Makro s in the area (N & W).

My negatives are congestion, little to no parking, and crap beach, I wouldn't swim, or even wade in.   Does look nice though, from a distance.

There's a decent baht bus system, that will take within walking distance of most things, in case you don't drive, or simply don't want to.  Actually you can park at either mall, and that would put you in walking distance to most things.

Have a few night & weekend markets.

Immigrations is friendly and not too crowded.  Extension done within 1 hr +/-. (wait time + processed)

Strangely AQI (75-150) & PM2.5 #s (unhealthy), during smog season, as only 1.5 hrs. north of us.  Nothing like Krung Thep & north of, but higher than I'd expect, being a bit south.

Hua Hin is a decent choice, although you might take a peek at Chumphon (muang), is decent also.   Never warmed up to Surat Thani (muang).   NST also is worth a peek.

Thanks for your reply LA, I'll have a look at Chumphon as well.

Edited by delgarcon
sent in error
  • Thumbs Up 1