Grave Robbers Steal 12 Skulls from Cemetery in Chonburi, Believed to be for Occult Rituals

IMG_7183.webp

In a shocking incident, 12 skulls were stolen from a cemetery in Chonburi, where bodies of the unclaimed dead had been buried. The grisly discovery was made on October 22, around 18:30, when rescue workers from Sawanghet Thung Hiang reported the theft to Pol. Lt. Thawatchai Lapanthu, Deputy Investigator of Phanat Nikhom Police Station.

Upon receiving the report, police officers and rescue teams arrived at the Sawanghet Thung Hiang Cemetery, located near Panat Nikhom, Nong Samed Road in Moo 4, Mon Nang Subdistrict, Panat Nikhom District, Chonburi Province, to investigate the scene.

The cemetery, adjacent to a tapioca plantation, was found with 12 graves tampered with. Concrete covers had been pried open. After inspection, authorities discovered that skulls had been stolen from all 12 graves. Nearby grass showed clear signs of foot traffic, and fresh trails were visible.

Mr. Prawet Sawaetsri, 39, a rescue worker in charge of the area, said a concerned citizen had earlier alerted him about a car spotted parked inside the cemetery. However, when he arrived, the car had already left. Upon further inspection, he noticed that the concrete slabs covering the graves had been opened.

Mr. Prawet recounted, “I was shocked to see that the skulls had been stolen. The vegetation covering the graves had been recently disturbed, suggesting the crime took place not long before I arrived.”

This was not the first such incident. On September 24, 2024, 15 skulls were stolen from the same cemetery, from graves close to the roadside. Including this recent theft, a total of 27 graves have been desecrated, and 27 skulls stolen. Authorities suspect the skulls may have been taken for use in occult rituals, though the exact motive remains unknown.

One local resident, Ms. Sawitree, 40, expressed disbelief over the incident, saying, “It’s hard to imagine anyone desecrating the graves of the unclaimed dead. I hope the police find the culprits and bring them to justice.”

Police have recorded the crime scene and are reviewing nearby CCTV footage to identify the perpetrators and proceed with legal action.

Picture of the graves.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-23

news-footer-4.png

image.png

8 hours ago, nausea said:

I didn't realise Thais sometimes bury their dead, I thought everyone, even paupers and the unclaimed, were cremated.

Yes they are buried if unclaimed or unidentified, in case they need an autopsy or DNA testing. TTBOMK.