Thailand to Implement 300-Baht Tourism Tax Starting with Air Travel

webfact

18 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The above is a dishonest misrepresentation of the fees and surcharges by the airline or ticketing entity.

Most of the fees and surcharges are airline generated, and not government.  Some airlines don't want to be honest and  show that they circumvent fare rules by charging fees and surcharges. An airline doesn't need to  refund many fees and surcharges, nor does it pay  tax on all of them.

You are wrong, the majority of airfare surcharges are paid to the governments of the airports concerned. All surcharges have a code that is listed in an IATA publication which unfortunately has to be paid for. However all the codes can be seen on this website.  https://blog.thetravelinsider.info/air-travel-taxes

Different alirlines present the charges differently which often leads to confusion. This is how Emirates do it, if I remember right "F6" &"UB" are the charges imposed by the UAE for passing through Dubai. "GB" is a variable  tax imposed by the UK, dependent on distance and seating arrangement. "TS" is the passenger service charge for Thailand.

fare detail.PNG

• Like 2

Here are some countries that charge for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and the typical fees associated with them:

1. Australia: AUD 20 (approximately USD 13) for the ETA.

2. Canada: CAD 7 (approximately USD 5) for the ETA.

3. New Zealand: NZD 12-35 (approximately USD 8-23) for the ETA, depending on the processing option.

4. Turkey: USD 50 for an e-Visa, which functions similarly to an ETA.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong, the majority of airfare surcharges are paid to the governments of the airports concerned. All surcharges have a code that is listed in an IATA publication which unfortunately has to be paid for. However all the codes can be seen on this website.  https://blog.thetravelinsider.info/air-travel-taxes

Different alirlines present the charges differently which often leads to confusion. This is how Emirates do it, if I remember right "F6" &"UB" are the charges imposed by the UAE for passing through Dubai. "GB" is a variable  tax imposed by the UK, dependent on distance and seating arrangement. "TS" is the passenger service charge for Thailand.

fare detail.PNG

No I am not "wrong".You are using an airline ticket that is not issued in Thailand.  You have missed the point, that  airline tickets issued in Thailand by some carriers obscure the airline charges. In Thailand, airlines are allowed to declare a lump sum.   It is a practice long ago stopped in Australia, USA, UK and EU.

It is deceitful for an airline to present all of the charges, taxes and fees as a lump sum.  This gives the impression that all of the charges do not originate with the airline. 

If I go to the Air Asia  website and put in a basic DMK-KUL-DMK itinerary, it returns the following;

Base fare USD 106.24                             ,

Taxes, fees & surcharges USD 78.03,

Add-ons   USD 14.85,

Total Amount USD $199.17

If  a bag, seat  and meal are selected, the add on cost increases to $110.89  with a total of $295.02 The charge for airport and taxes is unchanged. The invoice does not include a description of how the add on total is calculated. 

Here's where the issues arise;

i. Part of the add on cost  is not requested by the passenger and is a negative option purchase, meaning that if not specifically rejected, is automatically charged. (This is not allowed in many jurisdictions, particularly those which forbid  abusive selling practices)

ii.- The tax is not shown as a  separate line item 

-The passenger immigration fee is not shown as a separate item 

-The separate visitor fee is not shown as a separate item.

-Sometimes an airline fuel surcharge is included but not declared as such

I provided the line split that is shown when an airline ticket is issued outside of Thailand;

For reference sake,  my round trip on TG to Tokyo next month is invoiced with these charges in Thai baht;

Advance Passenger Processing User Charge 68
International Arrival & Departure Fees 30
Passenger Service Charge - Thailand(TS) 728

Some Thai airlines do not include this split in their invoicing. Nor do they specifically declare their own add on costs, other than as a total amount. This is why it is misleading. It's like advertising round trip airfares to KUL for 500 baht, without declaring the airline surcharges, fees and taxes.