Torrent Download Speed

ricklev

I upgraded to 1 Gig down/1 Gig up True fiber to my condo a couple of months ago with the hopes of getting better torrent download speed. 

True severely throttles torrent downloads  in Bangkok (hmmph!)  but allows it with a VPN.  I use ExpressVPN set to Thailand.

Previously I had a 50/20 connection and would occasionally top out a torrent download at 5mb/s. 

I thought it would be much better with the high speed fiber.  It is somewhat better but I almost never get above 10 mb/s even with thousands of seeders.

I am curious if this true of other fiber users who download torrents?  What is your experience?  

Does download speed really matter ?

Unless you're downloading full blueray rips @ 40 GB or so ...

Of course I do not torrent because it is illegal , but a friend of mine does.

Downloading is not a problem , but uploading is.

NT really throttles uploads , weirdly enough especially in the weekend.

Hard to get a 1:1 ratio. Or so I'm told , because I would never ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a long time ago when I set this up, but I remember there are a couple of "special setting" like allowing certain ports to make torrents a lot faster.

I used TRUE for many years in Bangkok, and I never had any performance problems.

6 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Does download speed really matter ?

Unless you're downloading full blueray rips @ 40 GB or so ...

Of course I do not torrent because it is illegal , but a friend of mine does.

Downloading is not a problem , but uploading is.

NT really throttles uploads , weirdly enough especially in the weekend.

Hard to get a 1:1 ratio. Or so I'm told , because I would never ....

Most private internet connections have a much higher download rate than upload rate. Because most people watch and don't publish. That might be the main reason. 

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most private internet connections have a much higher download rate than upload rate. Because most people watch and don't publish. That might be the main reason. 

Yes upload speeds are usually lower , but it does not explain why seeding doesn't start even if it indicated that there are "willing peers" .

That friend of mine was recently in europe , and there was absolutely no problem uploading downloaded torrents.

Same computer , same torrent program.

I wonder what would be less obvious for companies like true/nt/3BB : downloading slow but steady at 500 KB/sec or quick at a top speed of about 15 MB/sec ?

Even if you use a vpn.

27 minutes ago, SportRider said:

I dont bother with landline.  I pay 300b per month and get amazing speeds on 5G with AIS.  See pic just now.

For torrent use NordVPN. 

Screenshot_20241025_124103_Speedtest_1.jpg

Nice. Try again with https://testmy.net

What package do you get for 300 baht that is suitable for torrenting? 100GB per month?

Edited by NowNow

6 minutes ago, IsaanT said:

AIS Fibre broadband.  533THB per month.  Should be enough for anyone's domestic requirements.

image.png

Torrent Download Speed is the topic. 

11 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Torrent Download Speed is the topic. 

I understand but without sufficient underlying bandwidth, performance will always be constrained.

Here's the full picture of what's important for good torrent download performance:

1. Internet Connection Speed:

• This is the foundation of download speed, but it’s only part of the equation. Having a high-speed connection (like fiber or cable broadband) is crucial, but other factors can limit download performance even with a fast connection.

2. Torrent Health (Seeders and Leechers):

• Seeders are people sharing the complete file, while leechers are downloading it. A torrent with a high number of seeders relative to leechers will generally download faster, as more seeders means more data sources.
  • A torrent with few seeders may download very slowly, even with a high-speed connection, as there’s limited data available.

3. Client Configuration:

• Torrent clients (like BitTorrent, uTorrent, or qBittorrent) allow some customization that can impact speed:
    • Max connections: Setting a high maximum number of connections lets the client connect to more seeders, but setting it too high can reduce performance.
    • Upload speed limits: Many clients work best with some upload bandwidth allocated to maintain a good share ratio. Limiting upload speed too severely may result in the client throttling download speeds.

4. Port Forwarding:

• Torrents rely on peer-to-peer (P2P) connections, so ensuring that the client can communicate freely over the internet can be important. Enabling port forwarding on your router for the port used by the torrent client allows for direct connections, which can speed up downloads. If this isn’t set, the connection might be restricted by NAT (Network Address Translation), impacting speed.

5. ISP Throttling:

• Some internet service providers (ISPs) throttle or limit speeds for P2P traffic to manage bandwidth, which can reduce torrent speed even with a fast connection. Checking if the ISP engages in throttling and using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can sometimes bypass these restrictions, as it encrypts traffic and masks its source.

6. VPN Usage:

• VPNs can protect privacy but can also slow down connections if the VPN server is far away or overloaded. If privacy is a priority, selecting a high-speed VPN server close to your location helps maintain speeds.

7. Router and Network Stability:

• A good router that supports high-speed, stable connections and P2P traffic management is beneficial. Using an outdated or low-end router can limit maximum connection speeds and the number of simultaneous connections.

A high-speed connection is essential, but ensuring that torrents have many seeders, configure the client well, enabling port forwarding, and using a good router (or a VPN if ISP throttling is an issue) can all make a noticeable difference in torrent download speeds.

I hope this helps.

Edited by IsaanT

It might be the client.

Before i used myTorrent and it was really slow, even with lots of seeds.

Now with QBittorrent it flies, 35 Mb down.

I have NT with 300 Down and 150 up, not really exceptional fast.

44 minutes ago, IsaanT said:

I understand but without sufficient underlying bandwidth, performance will always be constrained.

Here's the full picture of what's important for good torrent download performance:

1. Internet Connection Speed:

• This is the foundation of download speed, but it’s only part of the equation. Having a high-speed connection (like fiber or cable broadband) is crucial, but other factors can limit download performance even with a fast connection.

2. Torrent Health (Seeders and Leechers):

• Seeders are people sharing the complete file, while leechers are downloading it. A torrent with a high number of seeders relative to leechers will generally download faster, as more seeders means more data sources.
  • A torrent with few seeders may download very slowly, even with a high-speed connection, as there’s limited data available.

3. Client Configuration:

• Torrent clients (like BitTorrent, uTorrent, or qBittorrent) allow some customization that can impact speed:
    • Max connections: Setting a high maximum number of connections lets the client connect to more seeders, but setting it too high can reduce performance.
    • Upload speed limits: Many clients work best with some upload bandwidth allocated to maintain a good share ratio. Limiting upload speed too severely may result in the client throttling download speeds.

4. Port Forwarding:

• Torrents rely on peer-to-peer (P2P) connections, so ensuring that the client can communicate freely over the internet can be important. Enabling port forwarding on your router for the port used by the torrent client allows for direct connections, which can speed up downloads. If this isn’t set, the connection might be restricted by NAT (Network Address Translation), impacting speed.

5. ISP Throttling:

• Some internet service providers (ISPs) throttle or limit speeds for P2P traffic to manage bandwidth, which can reduce torrent speed even with a fast connection. Checking if the ISP engages in throttling and using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can sometimes bypass these restrictions, as it encrypts traffic and masks its source.

6. VPN Usage:

• VPNs can protect privacy but can also slow down connections if the VPN server is far away or overloaded. If privacy is a priority, selecting a high-speed VPN server close to your location helps maintain speeds.

7. Router and Network Stability:

• A good router that supports high-speed, stable connections and P2P traffic management is beneficial. Using an outdated or low-end router can limit maximum connection speeds and the number of simultaneous connections.

A high-speed connection is essential, but ensuring that torrents have many seeders, configure the client well, enabling port forwarding, and using a good router (or a VPN if ISP throttling is an issue) can all make a noticeable difference in torrent download speeds.

I hope this helps.

No, it was useless, but thanks for taking the time.

8 hours ago, ricklev said:

I upgraded to 1 Gig down/1 Gig up True fiber to my condo a couple of months ago with the hopes of getting better torrent download speed. 

True severely throttles torrent downloads  in Bangkok (hmmph!)  but allows it with a VPN.  I use ExpressVPN set to Thailand.

Previously I had a 50/20 connection and would occasionally top out a torrent download at 5mb/s. 

I thought it would be much better with the high speed fiber.  It is somewhat better but I almost never get above 10 mb/s even with thousands of seeders.

I am curious if this true of other fiber users who download torrents?  What is your experience?  

I utilise a seedbox for Torrents. No need for a VPN that slows things down. 10 MB/s isn't bad. Have you enabled Port Forwarding?

Edited by NowNow