UN Warns World on Verge of Missing Critical Climate Goals

Social Media

image.png

A recent United Nations report warns that despite advances in clean technology, the world remains on a perilous path toward surpassing the climate targets set by the Paris Agreement. Issued as the “Emissions Gap Report” by the UN Environment Program (UNEP), the annual report highlights the disconnect between countries' emissions reduction plans and global climate targets. Disturbingly, it shows that this gap has seen little improvement since 2023.

The report projects global warming to reach between 2.6°C and 3.1°C above pre-industrial levels, with the lower end of this range assuming the full implementation of emissions reduction commitments. The higher end reflects the trajectory of current policies, which suggests that warming could extend beyond the current century. Though these temperature differences may appear minor, the planet has already warmed by approximately 1.3°C, leading to severe and widespread impacts. These include increasingly frequent and intense weather events, rising sea levels, and shifts in precipitation patterns.

Scientists have long cautioned that surpassing 1.5°C of warming risks triggering irreversible tipping points within the climate system. These could include the collapse of polar ice sheets and significant shifts in ocean currents. UNEP’s findings are stark: only a massive global effort to reduce emissions, particularly from the world’s 20 largest economies, would keep the world within the Paris Agreement’s goal of limiting warming to 1.5°C. “Climate crunch time is here,” stated UNEP executive director Inger Andersen. “We need global mobilization on a scale and pace never seen before — starting right now, before the next round of climate pledges.” She emphasized the urgency, noting, “The 1.5°C goal will soon be dead” without immediate action.

Small island nations and countries most vulnerable to climate impacts see the 1.5°C target as essential for survival. The report underscores that keeping warming below 2°C would require emissions reductions of 28% from 2019 levels by 2030 and 37% by 2035. The likelihood of reaching the 1.5°C target is “virtually zero” unless countries not only meet their most ambitious commitments but also clarify their net-zero pledges, which are currently uncertain.

Delays since 2019 now mean that, to reach the 1.5°C target, global emissions must fall by 7.5% annually through 2035. Limiting warming to 2°C would require an annual reduction of 4%. In contrast, emissions increased by 1.3% between 2022 and 2023. If major emitters like the U.S., China, India, and the EU delay cutting emissions further, they’ll face the need for even more drastic reductions over a shorter period.

Although the size of the emissions gap has remained nearly unchanged since last year, every fraction of a degree in avoided warming helps to mitigate climate change’s most severe impacts. UNEP’s report clarifies that the technology exists to triple renewable energy capacity by 2030 and double global energy efficiency rates by the same year. Meeting these goals will demand an extraordinary, large-scale commitment, but UNEP emphasizes that the initial costs of such efforts would pay off by avoiding greater climate-related damages.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres summarized the severity of the situation, saying, “We are teetering on a planetary tightrope.” Looking ahead, countries are due to submit their next round of emissions pledges before the COP30 summit in Brazil next year, which will include targets for 2035.

Based on a report from AXIOS 2024-10-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Social Media said:

Scientists have long cautioned that surpassing 1.5°C of warming risks triggering irreversible tipping points within the climate system. These could include the collapse of polar ice sheets and significant shifts in ocean currents. UNEP’s findings are stark: only a massive global effort to reduce emissions, particularly from the world’s 20 largest economies, would keep the world within the Paris Agreement’s goal of limiting warming to 1.5°C. “Climate crunch time is here,” stated UNEP executive director Inger Andersen. “We need global mobilization on a scale and pace never seen before — starting right now, before the next round of climate pledges.” She emphasized the urgency, noting, “The 1.5°C goal will soon be dead” without immediate action.

Given it was probably never realistic in the first place and nature will do whatever nature wants to do, Andersen is just another Canute, IMO.

As I am unaware of anything she wants to do that is effective, affordable and acceptable, I wonder just what her "plan" is anyway.

I also have a plan- put everyone that talks about halting climate change but has no clue about how to achieve that realistically on a big space ship and send them to Mars as the first colonists. If all the hot air they spout is eliminated it should halt man made climate change in a jiffy.

• Agree 1

Climate change is real and has been happening for thousands of years.

The HOAX part of it all is that no human and no amount of money has the ability to slow, stop or reverse the all-powerful and ever-changing climate.

I also find it hysterical that the Green Leftists cannot tell us HOW they plan to achieve their mission and cannot tell us -- in any measurable way -- what results we can expect from their climate-stifling experiments. They just want us to be afraid and give them money.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Social Media said:

UN Secretary-General António Guterres summarized the severity of the situation, saying, “We are teetering on a planetary tightrope.” Looking ahead, countries are due to submit their next round of emissions pledges before the COP30 summit in Brazil next year, which will include targets for 2035.

Soooo, we are "teetering on a planetary tightrope.”, but it's not going to matter in the next 10 years.

How stupid do they think we are?

If they actually believed in the hot air they spout they'd be putting the human race into martial law and imposing the "solutions".

I find it incredible that the major cause of "man made climate change", overpopulation, is never mentioned.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Talon said:

Climate change is real and has been happening for thousands of years.

The HOAX part of it all is that no human and no amount of money has the ability to slow, stop or reverse the all-powerful and ever-changing climate.

I also find it hysterical that the Green Leftists cannot tell us HOW they plan to achieve their mission and cannot tell us -- in any measurable way -- what results we can expect from their climate-stifling experiments. They just want us to be afraid and give them money.

I have to agree with all that as it's what I've been saying on here for a few years now.

It's a constant litany of "we have to do something", but never ever do they say what "something" is.

I've come up with more suggestions on AN than the believers have- I don't think I've ever read anything from any of them saying what "something" means.

I'm still waiting for something that is affordable, effective and acceptable.

Here's a suggestion that would work- limit every female on the planet to one child in their lifetime. Chances of that happening- zero.

1 minute ago, mdr224 said:

Thats nice. Could you tell China and India? They are causing most of the problem

I thought they were excused because they were "developing nations" or some such nonsense.

The whole man made climate change thing is IMO a hoax to transfer vast amounts of money from most of us to the 1%.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

"You will eat bugs, own nothing . . . and stop breathing"

Nothing these clowns say can be taken seriously. The Earth will do what She wants. Carbon taxes = tax grabs. You - as a carbon life form - are the ENEMY.

Will they quit their private jets and steak dinners? Will they stop breathing?    😂

Everyone should wake up and realise that all we are to them is serfs. Never has "do what I say and not what I do" been writ so large.

DiCaprio apparently likes to say stuff about MMCC while swanning about in a private jet.