Parking altercation at Nonthaburi market, two women stabbed

webfact

marketstab.webp

A late-night altercation at the Owl Market in Nonthaburi, Thailand, resulted in two women being stabbed over a parking dispute over a barrier fence. The confrontation escalated when concerns about moving a fence to avoid vehicle damage spiralled into violence.

Police received a report around 1.30am today, October 26, about a woman being stabbed in the car park behind the Owl Market on Nonthaburi Bypass Road. Officers from the Rattanathibet Police Station, along with emergency response volunteers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation, arrived promptly at the scene.

They found 30 year old Sirikanya with stab wounds on her left arm and back, and 31 year old Nusara who had been stabbed in the left shoulder. Both were given initial medical treatment at the scene before being transported to Nonthavej Hospital.

The altercation began over a disagreement about a barrier fence. The suspect, 40 year old Jantana claimed she was trying to move the fence slightly to prevent her car from hitting it. This action led to a heated argument, culminating in Jantana allegedly using a knife to defend herself when she felt threatened.

Jantana, who sells toys at the market, recounted that she, her husband, and their four year old daughter had been packing up their stall around midnight. Concerned that their car might hit the adjacent stall’s metal barrier, she got out to move the fence. The neighbouring stall owners, who were drinking and chatting, confronted her, questioning why she needed to move the fence.

“I just wanted to avoid damaging our car. They started to argue, and I felt threatened. So, I grabbed a knife from the car for protection,” said Jantana.

Self-defence

She admitted to stabbing Sirikanya and Nusara but insisted it was in self-defence after they began to attack her.

Jantana’s husband, 60 year old Jet corroborated her account, explaining that they were simply trying to leave the market.

“The other stall owners got agitated and started shouting. My wife just wanted to make sure our car wouldn’t hit the barrier.”

A friend of the victims, 31 year old Rungarun, a friend of the victims, said he was discussing sales with a colleague when he heard the commotion.

“I heard the argument and went over to see what was happening. I told them they could move out without a problem, but they seemed very upset.”

According to Rungarun, the situation escalated quickly.

“Jantana went to her car and got a knife. When Sirikanya and Nusara tried to intervene, she stabbed them. It all happened so fast.”

Police arrested Jantana at the scene and seized the knife used in the incident. She faces charges of causing bodily harm with a weapon and carrying a knife in a public place without reasonable cause. She was taken to the Rattanathibet Police Station for further questioning, reported KhaoSod.

by Nattapong Westwood
Image courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-10-26

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“I just wanted to avoid damaging our car. They started to argue, and I felt threatened. So, I grabbed a knife from the car for protection,” said Jantana.

Senseless violence.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Further evidence that many Thais, including women, carry weapons in their vehicles.

• Thanks 1