JamJang app to "Pay by scan" without Thai bank account – tried it?

Hello, have you used the app JamJang to "pay by scan"? Do you or your surrounds have real experience (not just suspicions)? There is little intel online.

Note that this JamJang app (launched in early 2024) supposedly allows you to use the wide-spread "pay by scan" that all Thai people use (I think connected to PromptPay). JamJang is supposedly not something proprietary with only few participating vendors. I understand you need a Thai number to register.

Upcountry it's nice to "pay by scan" -  any snack or toothbrush. I see it's less used in big cities, but widely used in small towns, where I mostly am. "Pay by scan"  would be nice for me – I am a tourist upcountry for weeks on end, and getting the Thai bank account required for regular "pay by scan" like locals or expats seems too complicated for tourist-me (according to your advice earlier, I discarded the idea of getting a Thai bank account as a tourist). Of course in the shops I can do with cash, but if JamJang for "pay by scan" is good, I'd like to use it. Or any alternative?

Some vendors prefer "pay by scan" very much over cash, in my experience (to avoid infection maybe?).

Thanks for your real-life experience and insight!

·                  Long critical JamJang explanation by user (?) on Reddit

·                  JamJang app on Google Play, last update August 21, 1000+ downloads, I see no review

·                  JamJang app on Apple App Store, 7 reviews, some smell 🐟y

Edited by henrik2000