Continuing Study In Thailand

I may not get a degree, but I'm expecting to get well flamed for this post by some.

In light of the regulations regarding the need for a degree to get a work permit and the large amount of debate it has created, I am asking what is the easiest way for me to get a degree?

It is possible to get work teaching english with a TEFL certificate, but working on the principle of 'if you cant beat 'em join 'em' as well as 'cover your arse' and 'anything for an easy life'.

I'd like to hear some suggestions on what courses are available, how long they take, wether they are related to english or not, if they can be done on-line, in Thailand or back into the UK.

I don't want to get into a debate about the merits of different degrees, (or how illiterate I am!)

as I think that has been dealt with extensively in other threads. (the degrees that is)

I know that some of the better schools quite rightly are choosy about which degrees they recognise, what I am interested in is meeting the Thai MoE's criteria with the minimum of disruption/sacrifice and getting on with the rest of my life with a lot less stress. :o

You mention the UK. Why not look at the Open University site - they will give you all the info you need about doing legitimate online degrees, choices etc.

www.open.ac.uk

If you are residing in LOS then the OU will be incredibly expensive. It isn't really a fast-track to a degree, IMHO it is one of the toughest thing to do.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your primary goal is to stay in Thailand, why not enroll in an International Program here. you could then get a Non-Immigrant visa based on attending school. When you graduate you could then be legal for working.

Good idea lannarebirth, and one I suggested to the original poster as well. Unfortunately the advice was ignored. Oh well. It's the most practical way to do it and the ED non-immigrant is the easiest one year visa in Thailand to get. I think he may be looking looking for a really easy degree; the kind that can be used to get a fire going when you're camping in the woods.

Edited by mbkudu

If your primary goal is to stay in Thailand, why not enroll in an International Program here. you could then get a Non-Immigrant visa based on attending school. When you graduate you could then be legal for working.

I'm pretty sure you'd need to change the non-immED to non-immB to start the wp and tl process. I've heard it's not staright forward to change one to the other. Anyone know more? Something to check before you make a decision partly based on the fact you believe you'll have a valid visa to start the wp proces.

I'm pretty sure you'd need to change the non-immED to non-immB to start the wp and tl process. I've heard it's not staright forward to change one to the other. Anyone know more? Something to check before you make a decision partly based on the fact you believe you'll have a valid visa to start the wp proces.

One of my friends just completed a master of laws degree here and had a Non-Imm Ed, got a job on the last day of his course and decided to just go back home, got a new VISA whilst there and came back all ready to pick up his WP and start his job. It doesn't answer your question specifically but shows what he did to get through the process as it was the easiest solution.

Edited by Casanundra

Good idea lannarebirth, and one I suggested to the original poster as well. Unfortunately the advice was ignored. Oh well. It's the most practical way to do it and the ED non-immigrant is the easiest one year visa in Thailand to get. I think he may be looking looking for a really easy degree; the kind that can be used to get a fire going when you're camping in the woods.

Sorry mbkudu, I'm not ignoring you I've just been very busy, but I have a free day today and will email you shortly, why not post your info anyway? thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming, as yet I don't see any such thing as an easy degree, I think my question is already answered, but as I said keep 'em coming. cheers people, :o

A very interesting thread which i am glad to see hasnt fully been hijacked by the degree/no degree people, as this has been done to absolute death. Then the corpse stomped on for a while.

Reading between the lines, the OP is doing a good enough job here, wants to stay, realises he needs to be legal, and wants to go about it in the easiest way. And who can blame him for that?

Good posts from people suggesting study here - though i guess for many people, it would have to be part time as they would be working as teachers in the day.

I am interested in doing another degree, as mine has nothing to do with teaching English in Thailand. I dont just want to do a Masters either. I really am interested in doing a degree in either English or something that will actually help me in the classroom. Ideas please anyone?

I would like to do an on-line degree as it suits my time management better. Intersting to see the two posts about the Open University, one saying good, t'other saying its way hard.

More good and constructive posts please !

I'm currently studying for an OU degree in the UK. There's no easy route to this and it is time consuming but one thing I will say is, it isn't that difficult, my A-levels were harder.

I fully applaud your approach as there are many who just go under the radar and don't bother to get certifed. However, in reponse to a previous post you don't to speak thai to teach English, you're teaching English not Thai. I also subscribe to the fact that you don't need a degree to do TEFL. I was reading one teacher's blog on the net who basically decribed his job as turning up and playing with the kids.

My final point is that a lot of employers in the UK are now describing vacancies with either degree qualified or of graduate calibre. Now, there are a lot of people in this world who don't have degrees who are graduate calibre!

I'm currently studying for an OU degree in the UK. There's no easy route to this and it is time consuming but one thing I will say is, it isn't that difficult, my A-levels were harder.

I fully applaud your approach as there are many who just go under the radar and don't bother to get certifed. However, in reponse to a previous post you don't to speak thai to teach English, you're teaching English not Thai. I also subscribe to the fact that you don't need a degree to do TEFL. I was reading one teacher's blog on the net who basically decribed his job as turning up and playing with the kids.

My final point is that a lot of employers in the UK are now describing vacancies with either degree qualified or of graduate calibre. Now, there are a lot of people in this world who don't have degrees who are graduate calibre!

From my previous post, I do understand that you are at a school to teach English, however you are in Thailand where not so many Teachers speak English anyway and you cannot assume that your pupils will understand English fluently enough to think and reply in your language. Most pupils when confronted with English will convert it to Thai, come up with an answer, in Thai, retranslate it into English as they understand it, and then come back to you in English. Also if you cannot speak Thai how will you be able to control the class.

That is basically what I meant about speaking Thai to teach English. It applies to any country where the native language is not English.

Edited by billd766

Sorry mbkudu, I'm not ignoring you I've just been very busy, but I have a free day today and will email you shortly, why not post your info anyway? thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming, as yet I don't see any such thing as an easy degree, I think my question is already answered, but as I said keep 'em coming. cheers people, :o

Sorry about being an A-hole. :D Robski, I have sent you a PM with some details.

Thanks for all the constructive input, the answer to the question is of course no, there is no such thing as an easy degree, not one of any merit anyway, it will take several years and a lot of commitment.

The two main options are the open univesity and the international program at Ramkhamhaeng university. the OU looks most suitable with a very flexible learning structure and the courses start again in febuary.

The future dictates that it's do or die, but the odds are good, nothing to lose and everything to gain. :o

One thing I noticed when I was first researching is that many US online degree programs require that one already has a minimum (I don't remember the #) number of actual in class credits from a university or college to be eligible for their online program. After I calculated the costs of the program,

books, room and board in the US, it was still higher (some much higher) than studying in a program here in Bangkok with real classrooms and real teachers. The option to work part-time is also available here.

One important thing I forgot to mention is the large number of international students that become good contacts for the future. Studying online you lose that opportunity.

Edited by mbkudu

One thing I noticed when I was first researching is that many US online degree programs require that one already has a minimum (I don't remember the #) number of actual in class credits from a university or college to be eligible for their online program. After I calculated the costs of the program,

books, room and board in the US, it was still higher (some much higher) than studying in a program here in Bangkok with real classrooms and real teachers. The option to work part-time is also available here.

One important thing I forgot to mention is the large number of international students that become good contacts for the future. Studying online you lose that opportunity.

Not true! So many online legit degrees. See degree.net - Masters especially in Ed require no resid. Also Webster Uni in Hua Hin offers Webster (US RA) degrees so will be good quality product (ie not a Thai degree)

Thanks for all the constructive input, the answer to the question is of course no, there is no such thing as an easy degree, not one of any merit anyway, it will take several years and a lot of commitment.

The two main options are the open univesity and the international program at Ramkhamhaeng university. the OU looks most suitable with a very flexible learning structure and the courses start again in febuary.

The future dictates that it's do or die, but the odds are good, nothing to lose and everything to gain. :o

Check out Assumption University as well - virtually all of their degree courses are taught in English.

G

Not true! So many online legit degrees. See degree.net - Masters especially in Ed require no resid. Also Webster Uni in Hua Hin offers Webster (US RA) degrees so will be good quality product (ie not a Thai degree)

Well it is true for many when we're talking a bachelor's degree, which is what Robski is looking into.

He's not looking for a masters program

Regarding the OU......In the past, you had to be resident in the UK or if I remember correctly, be a member of the British armed services overseas. This was the case up until a 2001 and maybe later. I did however know of one guy who was completing his OU degree in Thailand without notifying the OU of his whereabouts. You had to attend certain seminars every year somewhere in the UK. Check to see what the situation is like now or maybe somebody here can help. The situation looks like it may have changed.....possibly due to the internet? I suppose video conferencing etc might allow a student to be resident anywhere in the world. I know that the OU degrees are highly thought of and their learning materials are very good.

Edited by Hadrian1

You mention the UK. Why not look at the Open University site - they will give you all the info you need about doing legitimate online degrees, choices etc.

www.open.ac.uk

If you are residing in LOS then the OU will be incredibly expensive. It isn't really a fast-track to a degree, IMHO it is one of the toughest thing to do.

I am halfway through my 2nd OU degree , and they are not overly easy and not quick. It takes between 5 and 6 years , or if you did the courses full time you could get a degree in 3 years , but if you had that amount of spare time you may as well go the traditional route.

The beauty of the OU degree, IMO, is the variety of modules you can select en-route to your BA/BSc. You need 300/360 points for a BA/BSc or same with honours. Each point is equivalent of 10 hours study time. I have combined English Language,Humanities,World Religions,Social Sciences, and other interesting modules along the way. The things that I have picked up so far seem to actually outweigh the degree itself , but these are required to open certain doors, as you know.

:o

:D

I am halfway through my 2nd OU degree , and they are not overly easy and not quick. It takes between 5 and 6 years , or if you did the courses full time you could get a degree in 3 years , but if you had that amount of spare time you may as well go the traditional route.

The beauty of the OU degree, IMO, is the variety of modules you can select en-route to your BA/BSc. You need 300/360 points for a BA/BSc or same with honours. Each point is equivalent of 10 hours study time. I have combined English Language,Humanities,World Religions,Social Sciences, and other interesting modules along the way. The things that I have picked up so far seem to actually outweigh the degree itself , but these are required to open certain doors, as you know.

:o

What an excellent post. Tells it like it is.

Could you tell us a bit more? How much are you paying, where you sit your exams, how often the exams are offered, do they send you stuff through the post or is it all online? etc.

What an excellent post. Tells it like it is.

Could you tell us a bit more? How much are you paying, where you sit your exams, how often the exams are offered, do they send you stuff through the post or is it all online? etc.

Each course costs between £500 and £600 for a 60 point module. They usually run from February to October. They run at levels 1,2 and 3. These relate to the equivalent year you would be studying this course at University on a 3 year full time course. You are usually required to complete at least one module at level 1, 2 at level 2 and one or 2 at level 3. The remaining points can be from whatever levels you wish to pursue. Some courses are offered online , others are via post.

I believe in the near future most, if not all, will be offered online. 30 point modules are also offered at a lower cost, as are 10 point taster courses. Some actually have a 1 week residential course as part of their curriculum. Pretty much all level 2 and 3 courses have an exam, this usually takes place in October at a designated place within our local centre. These exams can also be sat outside the UK at extra cost. Most courses have a regular tutorial, this can be monthly or fortnightly or even weekly in some cases. There are often field trips as well. All of the tutorials are optional, if you have the time they are beneficial though. On my last course [ History of English Language - U210 ] I didn't attend any of these classes, I felt that I would be ok with just email contact with the tutor. Time will tell, my exam result is due in a few weeks.... :o

My last exam was actually sat at the Oxford University exam centre.

You do a TMA [assignment] every month and this is graded by your tutor, you need to maintain a specified average to pass the course, plus the exam result at the end of the course.

Apologies if this point was made before...

What country are you from? You should check out what is offered from the home country first, in the way of OU and any possible financial assistance.

Secondly, once you narrow it down, research courses relevant to your previous education/experience and what credits are possible. Some Uni's will give you some credits for life experience, and you may even get some from other stand-alone courses you may have completed. The credit policies are all different.

You may be lucky and find a pathway that is not that difficult to complete, in a shortened time and follow another strategy for your immediate problem.

Edited by Douggie Style

If it is a legit degree, it will be difficult, require a lot of time, labor, and money.

That said, there are a lot of legit programs on line. My wife got her's through University of Texas (UT). Which ain't too shabby back home. She never stepped a foot on campus, except at graduation, and even that was optional. Her degree does not even mention the term "on line" at all.

The software for on line education has really become very advanced.

I participate in on line training often in order to maintain a particular license that I have from the states. Honestly, it is the private sector, marketing etc. that is really developing the field of on line training/study. Most colleges today have legit on line programs. The fact that you don't have to drive to school, play "Mother May I" to college proffessors, wear whatever you please, makes obtaining the degree in some ways easier.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the post setting out the module length, prices and how you go about taking exams.

The post about doing research about on-line places possibly giving credits for life experiences is also good food for thought.

Mods - in light of the current degree situation, i am sure that a lot of people will be looking at going down the legal route. As many people may be "mature students" with limited time and money, these on-line courses, esp the ones giving some credits for study/experience you have already gained, are going to be of great interest.

Could we consider making this a sticky thread?

I've been considering various candidates for more stickies recently, and will be discussing them with PB... but I would want to wait and see if there was enough interest (and information) on this topic posted here before considering it as a sticky. I'll keep an eye on it, and if it keeps going for awhile that would be an excellent idea.

"Steven"

I do my OU degree entirely online. I don't attend the tutorials, the only things you have to complete are the TMAs and the end of course exam. I find it easier studying on my own, so it suits me.

As for completing in Thailand, I believe there are only a certain number of courses available officially if you reside in LOS but I guess there is nothing to stop you doing the course online and then flying back for the exam?? Can someone clarify on this?

Just to clarify, courses run from Oct to May/June and Feb to Oct, so you can overlap them when studying.

What about those 2 year associates degrees.

All of us Americans know "you can get a degree in accounting, locksmith, gunsmith, or even your hs. diploma in little time"

I think most Americans treat an associate in arts as roughly half of a real (bachelor) degree. They're usually equal to 18 months of full time attendance.

And in reference to both that and to ijustwannateach's latest statement on this topic, one of our new members on ThaiVisa read this thread or a similar one recently. He has an AA, and heard that a local university in Thailand offers a BA in English communications. He's enrolling!

For nearly anything to have a very important role in many advanced societies, over many generations, that thing must be difficult to attain. A bachelor's degree is such a thing, which is precisely why the holders of a degree value it, and so do their employers and the entire societies. I think that's why it will continue to be difficult to get without hard work.

And in reference to both that and to ijustwannateach's latest statement on this topic, one of our new members on ThaiVisa read this thread or a similar one recently. He has an AA, and heard that a local university in Thailand offers a BA in English communications. He's enrolling!

It would be interesting to know more. Here is the link that mbuku gave me last week for Ramkhamhaeng University international programe. www.iis.ru.ac.th (you'll have to paste it though) :D

I've been snowed under this week, but I'm going to make some time this weekend to look further into all this info and get some facts on what, where and when for all the different options.

Should keep me out the pub.. :o

I believe the poster PB is referring to is up in Chiang Mai and it's Payap University he's looking into.

I had a look at the website www.payap.ac.th/english/ and the tuition fees are higher than Ram,

but still very affordable compared to others.

Yes MBK and Peace Blondie are correct, I have an AA from the US and was accepted today at Payap in Chiang Mai to study full time for a BA in English Communications. many of the credits I received from my AA will be transefrable, so I hope to earn the BA in about two years. all the courses are taught in English and the students are from various countries around the world. I definately agree with Peace Blondie on the importance of having a Bachelor's degree. (better late than never). Thanks again to MBK for his advice. I'm glad I was able to stay in Chaing Mai for the BA....The school MBK is attending in BKK also has a branch in Chiang Mai. Good Luck