Land In Chiang Mai

This is kind an out of the blue, and will glad for some asistance.

i'm married to thai and want to buy land in chiang mai, stay there and make a living out of agriculture (fruits and vegetables).

is it realistic?

around how much the land in chiang mai for this purpose will cost per 1 rai?

is it legal for me to do so?

Do you have any agricultural skills or knowledge? If not then you could probably take a few years to get some and then if you do general types of agriculture (meaning not some specialized thing like high intensity fish or some bizarre niche market product which you have discovered but no one else has) then you can probably count on making about 10,000 baht per month if both you and your wife are hard workers, have a knack for farming, and are good business managers also....I guess I'm not being encouraging but that is because really there is not much money to be made (by western standards) in agriculture in Thailand for being your run of the mill farmer. In my neighborhood there are some people who wish they could make 10,000 baht per month by farming but figure that they can't do it reliably.

I'm assuming that you are not considering a large operation with lots of land and investment in equipment....but even with this your return will be unimpressive at best by western standards.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Chownah

The only farang operations I know of that make decent money from agriculture have land high in the mountains, large greenhouses (many rai) and an overseas market for their produce. Even with that I wouldn't expect to recoup the cost of the land anytime soon (though it may appreciate in value).

No one has answered your ?? about 'how much/rai'??

in my area 20k outside of the city where there is mostly rice, the price /rai is about 100-150kbhatt/rai. I think that most rice land in that radius is about the same. the further away from CM you go, the cheaper.

mentioned above that there is small bhatt in farming is a good assessment of the situation here. If you do find a nich crop that actually makes a few bhatt, someone else will do it cheaper. Farmers, except for the big fish like CP are usually the loosers, but, if you go into it for a hobby and enjoy the soil, then go for it.

This is kind an out of the blue, and will glad for some asistance.

i'm married to thai and want to buy land in chiang mai, stay there and make a living out of agriculture (fruits and vegetables).

is it realistic?

around how much the land in chiang mai for this purpose will cost per 1 rai?

is it legal for me to do so?

Maybe I'll have to sell an orchard (1 rai or a little bit more). I think my Thai neighbour is also willing to sell (another rai)