Uk Equities

Guys,

Anyone here know how to set up a trading account so I can buy equities on the LSE?

My offshore HSBC account won't let me open one up as I am resident in Thailand...and the high street banks in the UK (I'm with Natwest) won't let me open an online one up unless I'm reseident in the UK.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Samran.

You can either open a trading account with E-Trade or Interactive Brokers , both allow trading on LSE , E-Trade allows trading in UK , Germany , France , Hongkong and Japan , but IB offers much better including ITALY , BELGIUM , SWEDEN, Switzerland ,

you can also trade a lot of UK companies at NYSE , using any american brokers , as all list ADR's .

hope this helps............

A/C opening is relatively simple, both has asia pacific offices in hongkong , complete the online form and send your address and ID docs there, pretty easy,

E-Trade requires minimum of 1000 , IB requires 5000 ,

cheers

Guys,

Anyone here know how to set up a trading account so I can buy equities on the LSE?

My offshore HSBC account won't let me open one up as I am resident in Thailand...and the high street banks in the UK (I'm with Natwest) won't let me open an online one up unless I'm reseident in the UK.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Samran.

Not only do you have to have a UK address (and presumably be resident at this address) but also be registered on the electoral roll. This was a check that the NatWest brokerage company (not actually a NatWest company) carried out on me 3 years ago before rejecting my application, even after 30 years of loyal banking with NatWest and a UK address!

So hopefully you can find a way round this. I had to buy certificated shares from the high street bank.

What are the tax implications for a Thai resident investing abroad? Using E*Trade, can the owner invest in US securities? What is the tax rate paid on offshore investments? Does this income need to be reported to the Thai tax authorities? Or is the 10% dividends withheld at source by the US government sufficient? Does anyone have an answer?