New Big Shopping Mall For Koh Samui

Sorry, NOT my mistake. And let the people who are going to destroy the island go bankrupt. Wishful thinking!

I think this is a very negative attitude, the people they you stat are ' Desroying the island ' are infact developing for the better. This destructiona as you call in is creating income for the locals, creating jobs for the locals/nationals, bringing in more tourism as the infrustructure and facilitys on the island improve.

Unforunalty paradise islands that attract over 1 million Tourists a year cannot stay 'green' , they need to modernise with the times.

The parts i can agree with, but this is slighlty improving, is the way they sometime go around it, IE 300 KMH Trucks never cleaning up up after the dump a mess on the road ect ect.

Anyway, i await the cristisism that i am sure to get :o

I also feel that there's a very negative attitude among the posters here.

It's 2007, not 1985 anymore. Things have changed and not necessarily all for the better, I agree, but in my opinion, a shopping mall of the caliber and quality of the Central one on Phuket is only beneficial for Samui, for various reasons, some of them outlined by Boater in the above post .

I most certainly do welcome such a shopping mall.

Don't know if it's comparable, if you read my post again, it states that a similar shopping mall is beneficial for Samui, IMHO, nowhere did I state that it is comparible.

Edited by limbos

am i the only one to wonder why it will take then 10 years to build and rent out? Airports and skyscrapers take just 2 or 3 years these days.............

And when it is finally built and the shops are available, can i be the first to say to the rental management ofice; "ohhhh, thees rent verrrrry expensive! I can buy over there only 200 baht!"

I also feel that there's a very negative attitude among the posters here.

Wow, that's a suprise.

Reading the many posts throughout the whole forum, it appears that many expats have nothing better to do than complain.

How many people protested in some form about Tesco and Makro coming to Samui ?

How many of those protestors use Tesco and Makro ?

Ditto Big C (When it opens)

How many people have complained about all the shophouses and bars being built.

How many are making some sort of living from those premises.

A place that attracts tourists, money and business in general, will inevitably attract development. It's a fact of life.

Edited by Shrubbery

am i the only one to wonder why it will take then 10 years to build and rent out? Airports and skyscrapers take just 2 or 3 years these days.............

And when it is finally built and the shops are available, can i be the first to say to the rental management ofice; "ohhhh, thees rent verrrrry expensive! I can buy over there only 200 baht!"

I met a few days ago the Elran reprensentetive . he name is Dany Jakobi.

according to him the deal is signed to lease the land pending deodilignce to be compleated in 45 days.

he also said that they anticipate to finnish the project in 2 years.

they have a vast developing experience in comercial as well as redidential properties in I srael in western and eastern Europe.

looks like they know what they are doing.

14 years ago many companies went to India as it opened up to foreign investment. Main criteria was that the middle class was increasing tremendously. When companies found out that two indicators for a new middle class were the possession of a radio and a bicycle it was too late for many.

Here it will be similar that investors will get statistics with increasing numbers of high spending tourists and increasing average income.

But Samui is a small island and certainly living mainly from tourists. But fact is that many are not coming any longer. Last high season the occupancy rate dropped by 15 %-points (from mid Dec.06 till end of March 07). Read reviews about hotels and Samui where lots of people warn already to visit Samui. One put it almost nicely "when you want to visit Samui go now - when all the construction is ready, it will be terrible".

Think about November 2005 and the consequences of the massive rain. At least then the word "deforestation" came up as one culprit for the damages. But the deforestation is continuing and the damages forgotten - even that not all are repaired properly...

Tourists who still come are mainly doing their shopping in Bangkok as Bangkok is the place from where most of them fly home.

Regarding employment for locals I suggest visiting also Samui Mart in Nathon. Lots of bored employees already but I doubt whether they would like to clean rooms in a hotel. With more and more hotels coming up there is a shortage of staff already.

Some of the upcoming new hotels even provide their package guests with balconies to the road side. They will book as they like the great picture with the ocean and then they will have views and sounds of concrete trucks and more traffic.

Do you think these people will return?

When some find that this is now a negative approach they might be right and might have different business interests. My concern are people looking for relief from the "modern lifestyle" - not from having the same as at home.

Well put KeepSC, you're right about the getting away from the modern life of the west, and NOT wanting a NEW Ibiza Island, but Greed is all over the world I'm afraid. But I to will do all to stop unwanted modernising, and instead have a laid back Isle, but it changes so fast here, that I'm afraid it'll be like going to Mallorca very soon! So I understand ppl don't want to travel 14 hours+ to get here when they can stay in Europe's beach places for far less $$$ €€€, or what ever!

Edited by SamuiJens

And Mallorca was better off with the Ballermann tourists than with all luxury developments. Now 2 people have a pool for themselves, before 80 people shared a hotel pool (but not together..). It is also about resources! When there are more like minded people on Samui I would be more than glad to have some brainstorming together.

14 years ago many companies went to India as it opened up to foreign investment. Main criteria was that the middle class was increasing tremendously. When companies found out that two indicators for a new middle class were the possession of a radio and a bicycle it was too late for many.

Here it will be similar that investors will get statistics with increasing numbers of high spending tourists and increasing average income.

But Samui is a small island and certainly living mainly from tourists. But fact is that many are not coming any longer. Last high season the occupancy rate dropped by 15 %-points (from mid Dec.06 till end of March 07). Read reviews about hotels and Samui where lots of people warn already to visit Samui. One put it almost nicely "when you want to visit Samui go now - when all the construction is ready, it will be terrible".

Think about November 2005 and the consequences of the massive rain. At least then the word "deforestation" came up as one culprit for the damages. But the deforestation is continuing and the damages forgotten - even that not all are repaired properly...

Tourists who still come are mainly doing their shopping in Bangkok as Bangkok is the place from where most of them fly home.

Regarding employment for locals I suggest visiting also Samui Mart in Nathon. Lots of bored employees already but I doubt whether they would like to clean rooms in a hotel. With more and more hotels coming up there is a shortage of staff already.

Some of the upcoming new hotels even provide their package guests with balconies to the road side. They will book as they like the great picture with the ocean and then they will have views and sounds of concrete trucks and more traffic.

Do you think these people will return?

When some find that this is now a negative approach they might be right and might have different business interests. My concern are people looking for relief from the "modern lifestyle" - not from having the same as at home.

Well KeepSamuiclean, Thats the million dollar question isnt it, Does or Will Samui need to keep developing to attract more visitors, Will they come here or will they look to alternatives. I agree with most of your points regarding the environmental impact on the Island.But its the types of holiday makers that will come here not the numbers that will be the deciding factor do they want quality or quantity.

Visitor figures. look at TAT's very own stats, go to their site they have it (part Thai)...Tourist numbers are increasing each year and the tourists are now coming in other months other than just Dec-March which is important.Simply because newer resorts are looking to new markets, Korea, Hong Kong etc for low season periods to compete with recognized resorts.

Post Tsunami inflated occupancy rates in Hotels for two years until last year and now things are going back to normal.More rooms are available now. Many factors inc THE COUP played its part last year for visitor figures over Thailand not only Samui!

Bangkok Airways simply don't have enough seats and this puts of travel agencies planning their marketing if they cant get seats (hence new expansion) and they are expecting to double seats so what does that suggest?)

Department stores can and have been designed in many forms, (not just a big glass house) that's the real issue I am reading, how it affects the environment, the size, the need..Instead of Shop houses (Awful) all around the Ring road.

In a perfect world A small 'Boutique' sized Mall would be great, with some nice park,tree area's surrounding it with a small outdoor concert area etc ...It makes sense to centralize shops in one area, in Air Con and with Parking.Hotels have a hard time attracting skilled staff from Bangkok, Chang Mai, because they feel Samui is unpleasant for their lifestyle, so we have a shortage of quality staff which affects the overall service.

Anyone have any comments on the new Parking/Park near the Lake?

Can anybody give a sufficient answer WHY Samui is in urgent need of such a shopping mall?

Same reason we need a new 7-11 or FreshMart on the corner of almost every dangerous intersection on the island.

ie: we don't need

It is called "planning", or rather a lack thereof.

O.k., Devil, this means that we have mainly the same opinions. I really do not like empty shop houses, mostly built without taste. But we cannot get them demolished. A Boutique shopping mall INSTEAD would be nicer. Opposite Buddy's there is a "Boutique Hotel and Shopping Mall" coming up, perhaps already a kind of alternative. Last time when I was in Chaweng the shopping mall opposite Amari was still not occupied. About 2 years ago they advertised this spot but the small shops had no doors or windows, which looked quite unappealling.

Development should be done in a restrictive way. There are so many talks about the "quality tourist". But does such kind of tourist need a 7/11 all 500 mtr (what is or was their target)? I can imagine the looks of the receptionist of a new Pool Villa Resort handling out the key to the 15000 Baht per night villa to a guest with plastic bag from 7/11 as the minibar is so expensive...

There are construction rules but they do not get enforced. The small plot in Chaweng Noi where Pongpetch' Guestotel (or a similar creative name) was, got sold, they demolished everything which was not a loss but then the construction got stopped as building there was against the law. Now they plaster this small plot full. In a way I have to say that this is even correct as others constructed in the meantime in taboo zones too. But are the laws thought to be only for stupid people who are acting accordingly?

I am convinced that the island development would draw more guests when it would be more responsible and if every resort would look at their surroundings also with responsibility. As guest from some luxury resorts (no names...) I would return without entering the premises seeing the non inviting pathes. The roads from the airport could be developped only with cleaning up the numerous garbage dumps. The garbage collection should cost more, I am paying still the same amount of 150 Baht per month since 2001 and I have a resort. No wonder that there is not enough money to collect all wild garbage. And one garbage bag in the fields is attracting more bags as people think that's the right place for it.

I could continue....but leave it for now.

O.k., Devil, this means that we have mainly the same opinions. I really do not like empty shop houses, mostly built without taste. But we cannot get them demolished. A Boutique shopping mall INSTEAD would be nicer. Opposite Buddy's there is a "Boutique Hotel and Shopping Mall" coming up, perhaps already a kind of alternative. Last time when I was in Chaweng the shopping mall opposite Amari was still not occupied. About 2 years ago they advertised this spot but the small shops had no doors or windows, which looked quite unappealling.

Development should be done in a restrictive way. There are so many talks about the "quality tourist". But does such kind of tourist need a 7/11 all 500 mtr (what is or was their target)? I can imagine the looks of the receptionist of a new Pool Villa Resort handling out the key to the 15000 Baht per night villa to a guest with plastic bag from 7/11 as the minibar is so expensive...

There are construction rules but they do not get enforced. The small plot in Chaweng Noi where Pongpetch' Guestotel (or a similar creative name) was, got sold, they demolished everything which was not a loss but then the construction got stopped as building there was against the law. Now they plaster this small plot full. In a way I have to say that this is even correct as others constructed in the meantime in taboo zones too. But are the laws thought to be only for stupid people who are acting accordingly?

I am convinced that the island development would draw more guests when it would be more responsible and if every resort would look at their surroundings also with responsibility. As guest from some luxury resorts (no names...) I would return without entering the premises seeing the non inviting pathes. The roads from the airport could be developped only with cleaning up the numerous garbage dumps. The garbage collection should cost more, I am paying still the same amount of 150 Baht per month since 2001 and I have a resort. No wonder that there is not enough money to collect all wild garbage. And one garbage bag in the fields is attracting more bags as people think that's the right place for it.

I could continue....but leave it for now.

Well to add to this and getting of subject slightly :D , I ride a bike daily from choeng Mon to Hua Thanon, And it amazes me why the garbage trucks are on the the Ring 9-10AM, causing traffic to slow down on the hills and WORSE the trucks leak water (YES garbage waste water) all over the road (its slippy also) and as you can imagine this sprays up and hits people on bikes :o I would of thought 5-6 am times is normal anywhere in the world to collect garbage and not as hot.

The garbage issue is awful and this issue has been raised many times, seems the local government cant cope with it. And relates back to our earlier comments on visitor numbers....What will happen if visitor numbers increase? As you all know many organization on Samui organizing garbage clean ups, beach clean ups...but does the council do anything also? surely they cant just keep blaming resources and money because that looks like that is never coming...

I don't live on Samui, but have visited quite a few times, as I enjoy the beaches there. I've also lived many years on Phuket and as a result of that and seeing firsthand the mistakes that were made, have come to the following conclusions about Samui. It will repeat the mistakes of Phuket.

Development will only get more and more, and badly needed infrastructure will not keep pace. This is especially true in building adequate roads, water issues, flooding, etc.. Much of the development just results in razing the land, stripping the valuable watershed, thereby resulting in other problems.

Quality of life issues will suffer for residents who came for the idyllic life. Nonstop damm construction trucks, driving at breakneck speeds, at all hours, with broken mufflers and spouting noxious exhaust fumes, further damaging roads, will be inevitable. Noise pollution from this is annoying, and many people who have roadside businesses are affected by the noise. I know once perfect beach side restaurants in some of the most desirable expensive places in Phuket, where you can't hold a conversation because of the noise of construction and trucks. Once the development pace picks up, it seems to drag on for years and years.

The tiny, badly maintained and inadequate roads will be one of the first victims. Construction activity destroys them, and clogs up traffic.

Welcome to paradise my friends. You've had it easy thus far. Enjoy your quiet lull and monopoly airport that reduces #s of visitors. It could bust open on you, and will likely go the way of Phuket.

Not saying this is a bad thing in the end, but painful to endure while it's going on.