Tot - Maximum Number Of Email Recipients

vdoboy

Does anybody have any idea as to why my email system states the following when I try to squeeze any more than 50-odd recipients in my CC box of email?

"The server response was: #4.5.3 Too many recipients."

Does anybody know how many recipients is allowed per email?

I am sometimes informed that -

"The server response was: (some other number) Too many recipients in one hour"!!!!!!

Anybody have any pointers / advice out there?

I have a feeling that - in the true local way of screwing things up for the honest majority because of a few dishonest people out there - they have placed limits on the number of recipients so as to try to dissuade spammers / virus builders from trying to use Thailand as their base......

But it still f***s me right up! How can I run my business without being able to send out mass emails?

Very much look forward to hearing some positively beneficial advice from a saviour out there and thank you in advance - whoever you are! - for your help......

Chris

But it still f***s me right up! How can I run my business without being able to send out mass emails?

Chris

In my mind anybody who sends out mass emails is a spammer and should be banned.

If you are running an opt-in mail service or list you should have access to a SMTP server which can handle the mail load.

Don't use the regular ISP based SMTP servers which will only cause them to make things more difficult for people who don't send out spam!

opalhort

Guest Reimar

Chris

If you are running an opt-in mail service or list you should have access to a SMTP server which can handle the mail load.

Don't use the regular ISP based SMTP servers which will only cause them to make things more difficult for people who don't send out spam!

opalhort

Full agree!

In case someone need to send bulk mail as business should have the bucks for to cover the cost to do the work on "normal" level. If the cost for that service is to high better change the business!

For my own I report every Spam mail to Spam Cop!

Back aroung the year 200 I would say I got about 100 spam aday. Now its down to about 2 or 3 because of filters and contact list ect. THe best part is only 2 or 3 aday makes it easy to report each and everyone of them.

Chris

Including Thaivisa? Ebay? Apple? Google? Microsoft?

Many businesses depend on legitimate opt-in mailing lists to keep customers informed of updates and information the customers have requested they be informed of. Mass emails are the only way.

Chris

Including Thaivisa? Ebay? Apple? Google? Microsoft?

Many businesses depend on legitimate opt-in mailing lists to keep customers informed of updates and information the customers have requested they be informed of. Mass emails are the only way.

of course not. you quoted me a bit out of context.

Probably I should have phrased it better by saying 'In my mind anybody who sends out mass emails using regular ISP based SMTP servers is a spammer and should be banned'

opalhort

A spammer sends them out unsolicited. The method used to send legitimate bulk email should be irrelevant.

In some ways you are correct.

The point I was trying make is this:

If somebody sends bulk email (unsolicited or legitimate) using a regular ISP this can result in this ISP being banned by the likes of aol, hotmail etc. resulting in inconvenience to regular users. Having these blocks removed can be quite a task. Since we have dynamic IP it has happened that the IP we got had been banned because somebody who used this IP earlier sent out bulk mail.

This I guess is the reason why the local ISPs now start limiting the number of emails one can send through their SMTP servers.

As Reimar pointed out there are dedicated servers available at a cost for this bulk email purpose.

opalhort

Can't do it with my ISP's smtp servers for above mentioned reasons.

The ISP can't know your are sending out a genuine opt-in bulk e-mail, or you are just sending out spam!

It is however no problem using my own smtp server in the USA, the one which came with my hosting account. I'm the only one having access to my smtp server, as opposed to an ISP whose smtp server is shared by many!

Can't do it with my ISP's smtp servers for above mentioned reasons.

The ISP can't know your are sending out a genuine opt-in bulk e-mail, or you are just sending out spam!

It is however no problem using my own smtp server in the USA, the one which came with my hosting account. I'm the only one having access to my smtp server, as opposed to an ISP whose smtp server is shared by many!

That's exactly what I've been trying to say. For bulk mail use a dedicated smtp server rather than the ISP's server which is shared.

opalhort

Quite why you assume this person is sending spam is beyond me?

Anyway i see know body has an answer. I know TOT, loxinfo deny causing the fault, reading around the subject it seems to be a Outlook limit.

Nobody said the OP is sending out spam but certainly he/she is sending out bulk-email and is trying to do so over a public ISP server.

The limit has nothing to do with Outlook etc., it is the ISPs which have started setting a limit on the number of outgoing mails within a certain time period.

opalhort

Reimar - thank you very much for your kind help, but I can't seem to find a way to successfully search for topic numbers.... got any more pointers on how to find that thread please, mate?

Bredbury Blue, Cdvnic & Monty - cheers but my hoster in the UK won't allow use of their SMTP from overseas..... !!! I'm on the case with TOT and getting slowly but surely bumped up the systematic ladder with each call I make... we'll get there soon, I'll keep this thread posted....

Opalhort - ??????? eh? I don't quite get it..... Over 300 clients in my database. I frequently receive emails off (and have sent emails to) them. I simultaneously save their email addresses. When I update my website (or have some other news to share) I merely type "all" into my BCC box of my composed email, magically (its a Apple thing...) all the email addresses in my address book appear in the address box.... Also note that I use BCC as opposed to normal recipient or CC box so as to respect the privacy of my customers/clients.....

Your input was accusatory, presumptuous, woefully unnecessary and totally unhelpful.....

I look forward to receiving some more positive input from fellow forumers as opposed to the unproductive opinions which don't have any effect - other than merely bogging up cyber-space with their lowly attempts at gaining some "screen time"...

Chris

Nobody said the OP is sending out spam but certainly he/she is sending out bulk-email and is trying to do so over a public ISP server.

opalhort

Err pardon, "In my mind anybody who sends out mass emails is a spammer and should be banned."

opalhort

Err pardon, "In my mind anybody who sends out mass emails is a spammer and should be banned."

OK, it looks like I have a language problem here (English is not my native language).

I have tried to clarify my point in some previous replies.

1) anybody sending bulk mail out via a dedicated server for this purpose is obviously not regarded as a spammer.

2) anybody sending bulk mail out via public ISP's servers (the ISP can not identify what is legitimate opt-in mail and what is unsolicited spam) could cause the receiving services (i.e. hotmail, aol. etc.) to blacklist the local ISP as a source of spam causing problems to other users of the local ISPs.

My apologies if I have offended anybody, it was not my intention. And it certainly was not my intention to accuse the OP of being a spammer, but looking back at my posts I can understand why it has been understood as such.

Next time I'll switch on my brain before using the keyboard.

Sorry :o

opalhort

Does anybody have any idea as to why my email system states the following when I try to squeeze any more than 50-odd recipients in my CC box of email?

"The server response was: #4.5.3 Too many recipients."

Very much look forward to hearing some positively beneficial advice from a saviour out there and thank you in advance - whoever you are! - for your help......

Chris

The response 4.5.3 is defined in the RFC for SMTP, so it should be coming from the ISP's smtp mail server program. I think the default limit in the RFC is 100, but it can be changed easily by the person running the SMTP program (and often is, to avoid spammers)

However, certain programs such as anti virus and anti spam checkers intercept the SMTP mail, and so the bouncing could be done by a program you have on your machine that checks outgoing mail for virus or a program on your ISPs server that checks incoming mail.

If you send yourself a simple test message, does it arrive as you sent it, or does it have a few lines tagged on saying something like "checked for virus by xxxxxx"