Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Blast from the Past - 60's, 70's, 80's,90's Music (2026))

Featured Replies

  • Popular Post
46 minutes ago, bannork said:

Things are very quiet on this thread these days, Tippers. Some of the old hands have faded away, who knows where to?

I had faded away to The forum ThaigerTalk. Long story short, as much as i immersed myself into music here I fully immersed myself into politics. I don't believe anything is wasted in life, or for naught, but all in all I came to the conclusion that no one on either side of the football ever moves the needle to change anyone else's opinion even a micromillimeter. After I had that realization I had to face up to what I was actually trying to accomplish during all those years.

It wasn't just the fact that I ended up finding it pointless because nothing ever changes but worse yet I found that I'd start and end my days immersing myself in the pits of pure ugly emotions: rage at the outrageous never-ending daily events, anger, frustration, hopelessness, etc. Worst of all I found I was developing a deep seated contempt for other people. Something I had never felt before in my life nor ever practised. That realization truly shocked me.

Anyway, I won't drone on about what I've learned from it all. The important thing is that I'm back now. Glory be to music. It's right up there next to pure love.

Wasn't the theme of people loving each other a major one back in our time, bannork? So, I say "phuckit, I'll go back to that."

Get Together by The Youngbloods (1967/1969): Written by Chet Powers, this folk-rock masterpiece is the absolute hallmark of this theme. It explicitly calls out to humanity: "Love is but a song we sing / Fear's the way we die... Come on people now, smile on your brother / Everybody get together, try to love one another right now."

  • Replies 388
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • bannork
    bannork

    Sounds just like The Ace of Spades. Never mind, it's a good head banger.

  • Effective altruism
    Effective altruism

  • I keep thinking of this song in recent days. Timely and an absolute classic. There’s still whiskey in the jar folks, still whiskey in the jar. Many thanks to Charlie and the fine folk at AN for givi

Posted Images

  • Popular Post
1 hour ago, bannork said:

Luckily for me guitar-rock kick-starts me in the morning with occasional recharges throughout the day.

Lucky? Nah. You're just being wise, bannork. laugh What about push ups and jumping jacks? whistling Beer lifts? How many of those can you, or do you do in a day? burp

Here's one ecpecially for you when you awaken this morning.

George Thorogood & the Destroyers with the live cover of Rudy Toombs' One Bourbon, One Scotch, one Beer performed and recorded at Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey, on July 5, 1984. I chose this one because it features Elvin Bishop.

It was first recorded and performed by Amos Milburn and His Aladdin Chickenshackers and released as a single by Aladdin Records in August 1953

The song has a great history of covers worth checking out.

The video starts with the song but it's actually the full concert. Don't miss Bad To The Bone and other Thoroughgood classics from this exceptionally high energy gig

Gee, @bannork, we turned almost a full page in a single day. clap2 Now that's what I call moving the needle. biggrin

@Michael Winter

Welcome to the forum, Mike. welcomeani You came to the right place. Starting off on the right foot, are you? Splendid. Regulars here get free daily gifts. It's the only subforum to offer them. thumbsup

Show us what you've got. We'll reprise.

Edited by Tippaporn

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Things are very quiet on this thread these days, Tippers. Some of the old hands have faded away, who knows where to?

Luckily for me guitar-rock kick-starts me in the morning with occasional recharges throughout the day.

Now that's a new one on me. Great tune. Thanks, bannork.

And the crowds. Only music can make people so happy. It does me. That and whenever Germany wins the World Cup. And when England loses. Wait . . . England only ever gets to the World Cup once in a lifetime. laugh

Edited by Tippaporn

20 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

Hey all.

I remember a guy name Tippers or something or other who used to post here a lot. What ever happened to that dude? He was an old timer. Maybe he met his end? I think he was the same age as @bannork. Now that's old, if you ask me.

That dude was crazy. I mean, he'd post like two or three pages of tunes at a crack. That just ain't natural, if you ask me. No one else gets to post then because he'd hog the entire damn thread.

So much for bad memories. Let's play some tunes.

The Doors with The End, from their self-titled '67 debut LP.

Welcome back Tippers...

  • Popular Post
4 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

@rattlesnake

Great rendition of the '67 Etta James classic. Done up well by Stan Webb's Chicken Shack with Christine Perfect (McVie) on vocals. Recorded and released strictly as a standalone 7-inch vinyl single by Blue Horizon Records on April 18, 1969. Fleetwood Mac did a version with McVie as well around the same time.

Nice to see you here, Rattles. I knew a call to the front of the stage would get you to show up quickly. Let's just say I'm highly intuitive. laugh

Nice vintage footage. Funny that these old reels are now characterized as 'vintage'. That would mean that @bannork could be characterized the same. Oh, dear. crying

What about you jvs? Care to reveal the number of wrinkles on yer face? whistling

Love early Christine stuff. I've recently been listening to Bob Welch-era Fleetwood Mac, so I think this is a good opportunity to post this little gem:

Over in France, we lost a great voice and personality this week. Les Rita Mitsouko was a unique, eccentric, and rule-breaking duo. RIP to the irreplaceable Catherine Ringer.

4 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

Can't ignore Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song fine live version off of their '78 Live And Dangerous album.

@bannork loves these high energy tunes. Why, I remember once we were sitting in our rockers and I can't recall the tune we were listening to but crazy ol' bannork was creaking around so violently in his seat he damn near fell off. I still have pretty quick reflexes and was able to save him from dousing himself with his beer by grabbing hold of it. omfg

Yeah, I tell a lot of tall tales. whistling But they do enthrall the kids. biggrin cowboy

Now for a true story. One of my best friends who shared my early and wild years was a great storyteller. At his wedding when he remarried around the age of 50 we were talking with each other. One of his daughter's friends happened by and stood in on the conversation. When he realized who I was his face changed to utter amazement with his eyes popping open and he said to me, "Wow, I can't believe I'm meeting you. You're a legend!!!!" laugh

I never did ask my friend what tall tales about me he filled the kid's head with.

Love it. Another Irish great (he and Phil Lynott would occasionally jam on stage):

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Things are very quiet on this thread these days, Tippers. Some of the old hands have faded away, who knows where to?

Luckily for me guitar-rock kick-starts me in the morning with occasional recharges throughout the day.

Very cool, I didn't know them. To me, their sound is at the crossroads of Springsteen and The Cult.

19 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Love it. Another Irish great (he and Phil Lynott would occasionally jam on stage):

Well now, if you're a Gallagher fan you and @bannork are going to be best buds. heart_001 Best tell him about your French side now, though. ohmy laugh

If bannork is ever missing in action just play a Rory tune. Lightning isn't even that fast. whistling

Just watch. I'll prove my point.

Shadow Play from the '78 Photo Finish album. In the opening scene of the audience bannork is the third one from the left. He's actually on the right though he's more often on the left. laugh We forgive him and love him anyway. kiss01

Geezus, BH is just waking up and Rattles is ready to go to sleep. Just goes to show there's all kinds in this world. The there's me. cowboy

Turn the volume up, BH. I can't quite make out what you're playing.

48 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Over in France, we lost a great voice and personality this week. Les Rita Mitsouko was a unique, eccentric, and rule-breaking duo. RIP to the irreplaceable Catherine Ringer.

Wow, I just have a new heartthrob. wub I'm unfortunately a bit too late. crying French women have the best accents when they speak English. Maybe even better than the Thai laides.

I don't mind ads between posts. But in the middle of my post? That reminds me of 8-tracks. bah

One day I'll have to tell the story of how I got to 13,900 odd posts . . .

Bad Penny from his '79 Top Priority album. I'll take the live performance at the Rockpalast in '82.

Whoa! Rory wrote a song about me. guitar Great timing. I'll bet Rory never wrote a song about any of you mugs. cowboy

Edited by Tippaporn

1 hour ago, Tippaporn said:

Well now, if you're a Gallagher fan you and @bannork are going to be best buds. heart_001 Best tell him about your French side now, though. ohmy laugh

If bannork is ever missing in action just play a Rory tune. Lightning isn't even that fast. whistling

Just watch. I'll prove my point.

Shadow Play from the '78 Photo Finish album. In the opening scene of the audience bannork is the third one from the left. He's actually on the right though he's more often on the left. laugh We forgive him and love him anyway. kiss01

@rattlesnake

LOL. Brain fart. I posted the exact song you posted to which I replied to. No, I'm not getting old. Honest. @bannork told me so.

Bullfrog Blues performed and recorded on February 5, '72 at Luton Polytechnic College (now known as the University of Bedfordshire) in Luton, England. Found on Rory's '72 Live! In Europe album.

8 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

@rattlesnake

Great rendition of the '67 Etta James classic. Done up well by Stan Webb's Chicken Shack with Christine Perfect (McVie) on vocals. Recorded and released strictly as a standalone 7-inch vinyl single by Blue Horizon Records on April 18, 1969. Fleetwood Mac did a version with McVie as well around the same time.

Nice to see you here, Rattles. I knew a call to the front of the stage would get you to show up quickly. Let's just say I'm highly intuitive. laugh

Nice vintage footage. Funny that these old reels are now characterized as 'vintage'. That would mean that @bannork could be characterized the same. Oh, dear. crying

What about you jvs? Care to reveal the number of wrinkles on yer face? whistling

Sure, here i am.

ikke.jpg

  • Popular Post
15 minutes ago, jvs said:

Sure, here i am.

ikke.jpg

I said tell, not show. LOL. Okay, so you're an old young kid. Or a young old kid. Now the tie-dyed shirt is a cool touch. Mine all went to the moths.

I'll have to dig around to see if I still have any pics of myself left. I usually give them away. High demand. Especially on Soi Cowboy. I have no fear about posting my image on here. After all, isn't that what people do on FB all the time? Besides, I think all the people I've done bad drug deals with are all dead by now. Doubt anyone is looking for me any longer.

I should do a 'before' and 'after'. Help mitigate the shock of the 'after' photo. @rattlesnake and I were going to have a meet up for the first time so I sent him an 'after' pic so he could recognize me. Since then he keeps putting it off. Anytime I want to make my daughter laugh I ask her if I'm the most handsum papa ever. Still, I seem to attract the hottest Thai babes who all tell me how much they love me. Seems counterintuitive but I don't think about the why of it too much.

I'll do the 'after' first. It was taken on Halloween, you understand. Hair is still dishwater blonde. Some say it's grey but they're colorblind.

unnamed (2).jpg

This isn't the 'before' but somewhere in the 'middle'. I'd just met my wife.

unnamed (1).jpg

I have so many stunning he-man pictures of myself from my younger years I'll need a week or so to make up my mind on which one to post. Tough choice. After that I'll post a really early one where I'm sucking on my pacifier. That one always gets a "Aw, isn't he cute" response.

I should post an apropos song to go along with the haunting imagery: Jethro Tull's title track to their March 19, '71 fourth studio album, Aqualung.

Edited by Tippaporn

15 minutes ago, Tippaporn said:

I said tell, not show. LOL. Okay, so you're an old young kid. Or a young old kid. Now the tie-dyed shirt is a cool touch. Mine all went to the moths.

I'll have to dig around to see if I still have any pics of myself left. I usually give them away. High demand. Especially on Soi Cowboy. I have no fear about posting my image on here. After all, isn't that what people do on FB all the time? Besides, I think all the people I've done bad drug deals with are all dead by now. Doubt anyone is looking for me any longer.

I should do a 'before' and 'after'. Help mitigate the shock of the 'after' photo. @rattlesnake and I were going to have a meet up for the first time so I sent him an 'after' pic so he could recognize me. Since then he keeps putting it off. Anytime I want to make my daughter laugh I ask her if I'm the most handsum papa ever. Still, I seem to attract the hottest Thai babes who all tell me how much they love me. Seems counterintuitive but I don't think about the why of it too much.

I'll do the 'after' first. It was taken on Halloween, you understand. Hair is still dishwater blonde. Some say it's grey but they're colorblind.

unnamed (2).jpg

This isn't the 'before' but somewhere in the 'middle'. I'd just met my wife.

unnamed (1).jpg

I have so many stunning he-man pictures of myself from my younger years I'll need a week or so to make up my mind on which one to post. Tough choice. After that I'll post a really early one where I'm sucking on my pacifier. That one always gets a "Aw, isn't he cute" response.

I should post an apropos song. Jethro Tull's title to to their March 19, '71 fourth studio album.l

A picture tells a thousand words!

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

A picture tells a thousand words!

Too bad they're all cuss words. sad

Edited by Tippaporn

  • Popular Post
  • Popular Post
13 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

I don't mind ads between posts. But in the middle of my post? That reminds me of 8-tracks. bah

I use the Brave browser and the ads are automatically blocked.

11 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

I should do a 'before' and 'after'. Help mitigate the shock of the 'after' photo. @rattlesnake and I were going to have a meet up for the first time so I sent him an 'after' pic so he could recognize me. Since then he keeps putting it off.

Rest assured it will happen in due time. I recall you mentioned a resort in Pranburi? My wife likes that area, she even mentioned moving there before. I'm sure our respective spouses will get along absolutely fine (and they are both from Isaan as an added bonus, they can chat away in Pasa Isaan).

11 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

I said tell, not show. LOL. Okay, so you're an old young kid. Or a young old kid. Now the tie-dyed shirt is a cool touch. Mine all went to the moths.

I'll have to dig around to see if I still have any pics of myself left.

Sorry fellas, but Rattles can't follow suit, his true identity is a well-kept secret, given his very controversial views on some topics. Only a select few have access to it. Tippers is on that exclusive list – for everyone else, just imagine the coolest dude you've ever seen and that's pretty much it. 😆

16 hours ago, Tippaporn said:

Whoa! Rory wrote a song about me. guitar Great timing. I'll bet Rory never wrote a song about any of you mugs. cowboy

No but I got a Fleetwood one… 😊

7 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Rest assured it will happen in due time. I recall you mentioned a resort in Pranburi? My wife likes that area, she even mentioned moving there before. I'm sure our respective spouses will get along absolutely fine (and they are both from Isaan as an added bonus, they can chat away in Pasa Isaan).

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to message any impatience on my part about getting together. I was only fabricating a storyline that's purely fictional to be funny. We will most definitely meet up when the time is best suited. That outcome s guaranteed. I'm too busy at the moment so now or in the coming months is probably not doable for me.

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Sorry fellas, but Rattles can't follow suit, his true identity is a well-kept secret, given his very controversial views on some topics. Only a select few have access to it. Tippers is on that exclusive list – for everyone else, just imagine the coolest dude you've ever seen and that's pretty much it. 😆

Yes, I've seen your picture and I hereby attest to your description of yourself. biggrin

Now for a song for you as you're cruising on your bike through Thailand's wide open spaces in Isaan country with your wife clinging to your back.

The Byrds with the title track of their '69 Ballad Of Easy Rider album. The song was one of the Byrds tunes used in the '69 movie, Easy Rider. One of my theme songs and also on my Pretty Songs playlist.

Another Byrds tune featured in that film that I'm sure fits your personality to a Tee, Rattles, as it does mine.

Wasn't Born To Follow off of the Jan. '68 The Notorious Byrd Brothers album. Also on my Pretty Songs playlist.

5 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

No but I got a Fleetwood one… 😊

Right you are, Sir. And a fitting song it is.

I'll reprise with one of the live versions off of their Boston Tea Party gig recorded over three consecutive nights from February 5, 6, and 7, 1970. This one is a 24 minute barn burner jam.

@rattlesnake

You've got more songs written about you than I have, for sure. This one is a bit looser as there's no true specific rattlesnake reference though the opening features the distinctive rattlesnake shake.

Jim Morrison famously obsessed over desert reptilian imagery, famously dubbing himself "The Lizard King." While not explicit track titles, The Doors buried literal rattlesnake rattle sound effects (achieved using heavily shaken maracas and ambient percussion) into the backgrounds of their sprawling, poetic tracks like the live epic "Celebration of the Lizard" and the recordings that later surfaced on An American Prayer.

Developed during the '68 Waiting For The Sun studio session but never appearing in full. Lots of background to this song. Here's a live versionfor which I can't figure anything of that performance.

Rattlesnake by Elmore James & John Brim.

Released posthumously on the 1969 compilation album Whose Muddy Shoes, this Chicago blues track utilizes the classic metaphor directly. Electric slide guitar pioneer Elmore James aggressively sings: "You ain't nothin' but a rattlesnake, come crawlin' 'round my door... You rattle your tail, you ain't gonna bite me no more."

Hey Rattles, just being cautious before we meet up but you don't bite, do you? ermm

Same tune.

Though frequently credited or cataloged digitally as a "Little Walter" track because of his dominant instrumental presence, the song "Rattlesnake" was written and sung by Chicago blues guitarist John Brim. Little Walter and his band, The Jukes, served as the backing musicians, with Walter providing the blazing, signature amplified harmonica work.

The "Hound Dog" Controversy & Shelved Release

"Rattlesnake" was intended to be released as a single in 1953 (assigned catalog number Checker 769). However, it was abruptly pulled from store shelves and suppressed by label owners Leonard and Phil Chess. [1, 2, 3]

John Brim had written "Rattlesnake" as a direct, clever answer song to Big Mama Thornton’s massive 1953 rhythm-and-blues hit "Hound Dog". Fearing a costly plagiarism lawsuit from Thornton's producers and songwriters (Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller), the Chess brothers completely shelved the master tape. As a result, the track sat unreleased in the vaults for over a decade.

First Official Album Release (1969): The track finally made its debut on the classic blues compilation album Whose Muddy Shoes, released by Chess/Checker Records in 1969. The album split tracks between John Brim and Elmore James.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

  • jvs

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.