Good Experience Air Asia Chiang Mai - Bangkok

Thanh-BKK

Hello :o

With all the ranting and complaining here i wish to just let you know of a pleasant experience that i had last night. Having spent the weekend with my boyfriend and his dying father in Chiang Mai, we actually drove there friday night after work and planned to drive back yesterday, however due to the health of his father my BF decided to stay, he could take a week off easily - not so me, i have to work.

So my BF booked a flight for me on Air Asia, the last flight out of Chiang Mai, at 10:15 pm. Paid with his VISA card, and booked over the phone, no problem, only needed my passport number to have the ticket for the right person (me).

Then the question about the luggage - i had only a backpack but it contained tools which i had brought with me to Chiang Mai to fix things here and there, and had to bring those back to Bangkok because i use them every day - i'm talking wrenches, pliers, box cutters, screw drivers etc - material that a terrorist could easily hijack an aircraft with. So we thought i could check that in instead of carrying it on the aircraft. No problem.

Arrived there just in time at 9:15 pm, thru the x-ray and then i almost had to strip - wallet full of coins, pocket watch with keychain and bunch of keys, couple of lighters, wristwatch. Too much metal on me :D In that time my backpack ran thru the x-ray and wasn't even opened :D

At the ticket counter they then asked me if i had any luggage to check in? I handed my backpack with the tools clanging inside but the guy just smiled and said "carry on, no problem". I told him then that "There's tools inside" and he said again, "No problem". Handed me my ticket and to my surprise he welcomed me to Air Asia - in my native language, German, which he seems to speak rather fluent!

At the gate then i was checked a second time, and here i found out (i had completely forgotten about that) that there was also a can of lighter gas (Butane) in my backpack, which they would not let on the aircraft. I took that out and gave it to my boyfriend, again - no problem. A good dozen ordinary lighters could stay in the front pouch of the backpack - no problem again! And i was allowed in with all that dangerous stuff. Maybe i just don't look dangerous..?

Then the flight had 25 minutes delay, which isn't too tragic - it was only the second flight in my entire life, and the first one 6 1/2 years ago was delayed 19 HOURS so these 25 minutes didn't hurt.

The flight itself was fine - Air Asia allows for free seat selection since they have only one "class" on that aircraft, so i got a window seat (aircraft was like half full) and enjoyed the trip, which was too short tough.......... not bumpy or shaky, very nice flight. Oh and the flight attendant was a handsome guy too! I bought a Pepsi onboard which cost 40 Baht - sure more than in 7-Eleven but hey, it's a few miles up :D

Arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport and to my surprise they parked the aircraft very far out and transferred the passengers to the terminal with a bus, almost a 10 minutes ride. Nobody asked a question when i took a few photos of the aircraft after getting off it.

In the airport then (my first time there) i found it easy to find the right way to the exit without having to ask anyone, nobody approached me for a limousine or taxi (as i read here all the time) and i just grabbed a taxi on the first floor like everyone else. The driver spoke english well, turned on the meter immediately and didn't go any "strange routes" but rather the shortest possible way to my place at Sukhumvit soi 70. It was 185 Baht on the meter, plus 50 for the airport taxi fee, and i rounded that up to 250. He was a happy guy and so was i :D

Now i'm waiting for friday to return to Chiang Mai again, i'll fly Air Asia again for sure.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanks for the report, thanh. Feedback - be it positive or negative is always interesting. I'm mostly flying Bangkok Airways Singapore-Samui-BKK-Chang Mai-BKK later this year. Any feedback on Bangkok Airways, anybody?

I have always enjoyed the service on Thai Air Asia. Much friendlier than Thai Airways.

Peter

Hello :D

With all the ranting and complaining here i wish to just let you know of a pleasant experience that i had last night. Having spent the weekend with my boyfriend and his dying father in Chiang Mai, we actually drove there friday night after work and planned to drive back yesterday, however due to the health of his father my BF decided to stay, he could take a week off easily - not so me, i have to work.

So my BF booked a flight for me on Air Asia, the last flight out of Chiang Mai, at 10:15 pm. Paid with his VISA card, and booked over the phone, no problem, only needed my passport number to have the ticket for the right person (me).

Then the question about the luggage - i had only a backpack but it contained tools which i had brought with me to Chiang Mai to fix things here and there, and had to bring those back to Bangkok because i use them every day - i'm talking wrenches, pliers, box cutters, screw drivers etc - material that a terrorist could easily hijack an aircraft with. So we thought i could check that in instead of carrying it on the aircraft. No problem.

Arrived there just in time at 9:15 pm, thru the x-ray and then i almost had to strip - wallet full of coins, pocket watch with keychain and bunch of keys, couple of lighters, wristwatch. Too much metal on me :D In that time my backpack ran thru the x-ray and wasn't even opened :D

At the ticket counter they then asked me if i had any luggage to check in? I handed my backpack with the tools clanging inside but the guy just smiled and said "carry on, no problem". I told him then that "There's tools inside" and he said again, "No problem". Handed me my ticket and to my surprise he welcomed me to Air Asia - in my native language, German, which he seems to speak rather fluent!

At the gate then i was checked a second time, and here i found out (i had completely forgotten about that) that there was also a can of lighter gas (Butane) in my backpack, which they would not let on the aircraft. I took that out and gave it to my boyfriend, again - no problem. A good dozen ordinary lighters could stay in the front pouch of the backpack - no problem again! And i was allowed in with all that dangerous stuff. Maybe i just don't look dangerous..?

Then the flight had 25 minutes delay, which isn't too tragic - it was only the second flight in my entire life, and the first one 6 1/2 years ago was delayed 19 HOURS so these 25 minutes didn't hurt.

The flight itself was fine - Air Asia allows for free seat selection since they have only one "class" on that aircraft, so i got a window seat (aircraft was like half full) and enjoyed the trip, which was too short tough.......... not bumpy or shaky, very nice flight. Oh and the flight attendant was a handsome guy too! I bought a Pepsi onboard which cost 40 Baht - sure more than in 7-Eleven but hey, it's a few miles up :D

Arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport and to my surprise they parked the aircraft very far out and transferred the passengers to the terminal with a bus, almost a 10 minutes ride. Nobody asked a question when i took a few photos of the aircraft after getting off it.

In the airport then (my first time there) i found it easy to find the right way to the exit without having to ask anyone, nobody approached me for a limousine or taxi (as i read here all the time) and i just grabbed a taxi on the first floor like everyone else. The driver spoke english well, turned on the meter immediately and didn't go any "strange routes" but rather the shortest possible way to my place at Sukhumvit soi 70. It was 185 Baht on the meter, plus 50 for the airport taxi fee, and i rounded that up to 250. He was a happy guy and so was i :bah:

Now i'm waiting for friday to return to Chiang Mai again, i'll fly Air Asia again for sure.

Best regards.....

Thanh

done that trip bkk-cmx many times never had a problem ,always book on line ,when the crowd start to make a queue 10 minutes before they call the flight i wait till they call the old people and children 1st ,then go to the front of the queue with my daughter ,its a very nice flight for 1200b. :o

Hello :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

done that trip bkk-cmx many times never had a problem ,always book on line ,when the crowd start to make a queue 10 minutes before they call the flight i wait till they call the old people and children 1st ,then go to the front of the queue with my daughter ,its a very nice flight for 1200b. :o

The wife & I flew up to C. Mai last Saturday on Nok Air for the ThaiVisa party.  Booked online and paid via credit card.  Flew back yesterday, Tuesday.  Both flights right on time departures, in and out of Don Muang (FYI, I still use the old spelling!).  No complaints, no problems.

Mac

yeah airasia is pretty nice in my experience also.

Flew with them several times from Chiang Mai to Bangkok . Also a nice trip is from CM to Kuala Lumpur .

Very cheap and nice staff , the only thing a bit negative is that they charge rather high for any flight consumptions .

I used Air Asia for BKK-CNX trip on early April.

No problem to me, either...

It seems to me that it is just like another bus service with fast and a little bit high on altitude. :-)

But plane looks pretty decent, and well maintained compared to regional jet in here, United States.

One thing I hope for Air Asia is that please accept American Express card for credit card payment.

I use AMEX for travel purpose, but they don't accept it.

Domestic (intra-Thailand) flights are apparently much more lax with security. I was even surprised the BF (a non-passenger) would be able to accompany the passenger to the gate.

Domestic (intra-Thailand) flights are apparently much more lax with security. I was even surprised the BF (a non-passenger) would be able to accompany the passenger to the gate.

No, he didn't come with me to the gate (where poeople board the aircraft). I was in the second screening area (where they x-ray the carry-on) which is between the departure area (or what you call that) and the area where you can get on the aircraft (gate). They found the gas while x-raying and i took it out, walked back to the entry door and gave it to my BF. He probably would not be allowed to walk in there (non-passenger) but i could easily walk back out as i wasn't "in the gate area" yet.

Sorry if i worded that wrong, i've only flown twice in my live and don't know the terms correctly :o

I also wondered how they would let me on board with box cutters (a couple of them) and several screw drivers.... ok hard to stab someone with a 17mm wrench but the rest.... well... i'm no terrorist and also don't look like one i guess :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hello :o

In the airport then (my first time there) i found it easy to find the right way to the exit without having to ask anyone, nobody approached me for a limousine or taxi (as i read here all the time) and i just grabbed a taxi on the first floor like everyone else. The driver spoke english well, turned on the meter immediately and didn't go any "strange routes" but rather the shortest possible way to my place at Sukhumvit soi 70. It was 185 Baht on the meter, plus 50 for the airport taxi fee, and i rounded that up to 250. He was a happy guy and so was i :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

I did fly the several AirAsia's (Malaysian, Indo, Thai) more than 50 times already and my overall impression is very good, and flight delays are history, since the other domestic airlines Moved back to DMK, but I must say, most of your report has nothing to do with Air Asia actually.

airport security, easy way to the airport-exit, taxi uses Meter: is that an "Air Asia experience" ?

but nevermind...... macht nichts !

by the way: its normal that late-evening-arrivals have a parking position away from the regular gates.

this even happens when u fly big airlines....

they often need to do some maintenance during night-time

Sorry to rain on your parade, OP, but am I the only one who finds the security breaches you describe as appalling? In an age when we're being stopped from carrying a bottle of mineral water or perfume onto an airplane this person who "doesn't look like a terrorist" is allowed to carry box cutters???

What does a terrorist look like, anyway? Do those security people think it's always going to be a wild-eyed dark-complected young man with a bushy beard?

Or could a terrorist look like THIS: 200px-Ulrike_Meinhof_als_junge_Journalistin.jpg

Thankfully, they're not always so lax. On a recent flight to southern Thailand, my wife had forgotten she had a little pearl-handled jack-knife passed on to her by her grandfather in her carry-on backpack. Nok Air took it away and she was able to claim it in Trang (which I thought was very nice. I think in many places in Europe or North America she would have been forced to throw it away.). On the return flight with Air Asia out of Krabi, they made her check the backpack with the knife in it.

(PS: the picture is of Ulricke Meinhof, the terrorist who wreaked mayhem in Germany in the 1970s)