Retirement Visa

AS OF AUGUST 29,2007....HERE IS THE DEAL!

i had the proof of 800,000 bhat in my account for over 90 days. I had a letter from SCB...I HAD MY BANK BOOK.i had my correct forms filled out... photo...passport...every 90 day address paperwork...EVERYTHING.

My bank book showed money in and out for the past year with the balance always over 800,000. ALL TRANSACTIONS HAD THE DATE /AMOUNT/ AND AN ENTRY CODE. THIS CODE MEANS...WIRE/CASH/CHECK/TRANSFER DETAILS.

I was denied the ONE YEAR VISA OF RETIREMENT. I WAS TOLD THAT MY LETTER FROM THE BANK DID NOT PROVE THE FUNDS WERE FROM OVERSEAS.

i was not turned down. i was given a one month retirement visa and ordered to return with my passport in 30 days and get my other 11 months stamped. I ASKED...WHAT ABOUT THE LETTER...I CAN RUN TO SCB AND GET PROOF OF BANK WIRES FROM AMERICA. I was told....its ok. COME BACK IN 30 DAYS AGAIN...DO NOT BRING PROOF OF TRANSFER FROM OVERSEAS LETTER...AND VIOLA...A NEW RETIREMENT VISA WOULD BE STAMPED.

trust me...this just happened less than 4 hours ago in Bangkok.

Why didnt they need proof in 30 days? but need it today? also all SCB bank books show the code next to all deposits. Why do the not have the codes and know without a letter. anyone can fake a letter...very hard to make a fake bank book!!!! CRAZY.

Your experience is absolutely normal. Immigration will not accept passbook entries as evidence that fund were transferred from overseas.

This is not a big deal. Just go to your bank and ask for a copy of the SWIFT transfer receipt. It would take less time and effort to just do this this than you have spent to complain about having to do so.

It least you will now be prepared for immigation requests next year.

I SPEAK ENGLISH VERY WELL. I ALSO HAD A THAI LAWYER WITH ME. I WAS STILL GIVEN A RUN AROUND ABOUT HAVING 800,000 SENT AT LEAST 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO RENEWAL...FROM OVERSEAS.

ALL YOU KNOW IT ALLS WHO ARE SAYING THIS AND THAT...MEET ME AT SATHORN ROAD...BRING SOME CASH AND LETS MAKE SOME BETS. I WILL TAKE ALL YOUR MONEY. I KNOW WHAT IMMIGRATION TOLD ME FROM A-Z. THEY WANT A NEW LETTER OF PROOF...BANK BOOK ISNT GOOD ENOUGH. THE LETTER MUST SHOW 800,000 SENT FROM ABROAD AT LEAST 90 DAYS BEFORE NEW VISA.

ALSO SCB HAS NO CLUE WHAT TO SAY IN THIS NEWLY REQUIRED LETTER....AS OF 8-29-2007.

DO NOT BRING PROOF OF TRANSFER FROM OVERSEAS LETTER...AND VIOLA...A NEW RETIREMENT VISA WOULD BE STAMPED.

trust me...this just happened less than 4 hours ago in Bangkok.

Why didnt they need proof in 30 days? but need it today?

There is no need to shout (upper case post) or to exclaim "all you know it alls" when there has only been one post with information that was intended to be of help.

You posted the above. Would you explain how that relates to a "new letter" being required? My reading is you are saying they told you not to bring a letter of overseas transfer and you seem to confirm that understanding with "why didnt they need proof in 30 days? but need it today?

Now you say

THE LETTER MUST SHOW 800,000 SENT FROM ABROAD AT LEAST 90 DAYS BEFORE NEW VISA.

ALSO SCB HAS NO CLUE WHAT TO SAY IN THIS NEWLY REQUIRED LETTER....AS OF 8-29-2007.

one more time for people who cant read caps and have a problem with the truth.

i did not have a second letter which showed the funds were from overseas. i did have the 800,000 bhat and a letter proving that and my bank book.

the immigration office ...not one person....every desk...required a letter showing new 800,000 coming from overseas before 90 days of applying. i have well over 2 miilion baht in 2 accounts. i showed proof of all my funds in thailand. the office/and officer could care less. she explained this is a management rule...and not a thai law. it was her direct supervisor who has made this crap a requirement. like i said...i was with a very good thai lawyer. he could not believe it either.

when i offered to go get the letter...i was told...nevermind...come back in 30 days and we will give you the remaining 11 months visa. totally crap as far as i am concerned.

ps...WHO IN THE hel_l MADE THE RULE CAPS IS SCREAMING? GET A LIFE! DIDNT WE MOVE TO LOS BECAUSE WE HATED RULES?

look at the words THAI VISA...SUNBELT ASIA...LIVE CHAT...SIAM LEGAL...FAST REPLY ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC...ALL CAPS.

i guess you have to pay to shout.

the reason i used caps...was to assist fellow readers and posters...before they take a useless trip and waste 3 hours in line at immigration. i was there today. WOW!

Nobody was trying to censor you and am sure most appreciate your posting of your experience. But upper case posting is considered aggressive shouting and your first post at least had it in context - the second post did not need the caps to make your point and did not have to be a general attack. Your response to my request was "get a life" which is not helpful to anyone.

Your second post said letter was required but first post said it would not be required so instead of clearing it up (which I will assume means the letter will be required but if you don't have it they will check bank themselves during the 30 day under review?) you went on attack. I do understand you are upset; but we are not your enemy. I also understand the first reply to your post may not have been worded too well. There has not been any set requirement for overseas transfer documentation set although some have used the wire transfer receipts in the past.

here...since i did not have the letter which stated that the funds were sent from overseas...the officer/amd her supervisor...said...we will grant you a 30 day retirement visa today. i was told to sign a letter swearing i would visit again in 30 days for the balance visa of 11 months to be stamped in my passport. she explaind this is all new in the BKK office.

i asked...do i need to bring the letter at that time. i was told...NO!

i asked will you check with SCB about my funds transfers in this 30 day period. they laughed. NO they would not!

i find this very comical. i needed the letter today...i dont need it in 30 days.????

does anyone else find this ironically silly?

also i had the SWIFT papers with me. they couldnt care less.

just another day in los.

wow...i hope this once and for all explains what they want at BKK office as of 8-29-2007

It does appear as if the OP has run across a new "interpretation" of the rules in BKK.

I just renewed my retirement extension at Pattaya, using a mix of pension and money in the bank. They did not seem at all bothered with the source of the money in the bank account, or for how long it had been there. It all went very smoothly and I was done in less than 10 minutes.

It does appear as if the OP has run across a new "interpretation" of the rules in BKK.

I just renewed my retirement extension at Pattaya, using a mix of pension and money in the bank. They did not seem at all bothered with the source of the money in the bank account, or for how long it had been there. It all went very smoothly and I was done in less than 10 minutes.

The rules are different for those using the bank account only vs. those using pension only, or a mix. For example, many have said the 3 month money seasoning rule does not apply to those using a pension only or a mix, but does apply to those using bank account only.

So your experience using a mix is actually a different class of situation.

The rules are different for those using the bank account only vs. those using pension only, or a mix. For example, many have said the 3 month money seasoning rule does not apply to those using a pension only or a mix, but does apply to those using bank account only.

Yes according to the written translation of the police order, if you use only the bank account the funds have to be there for 3 months before application. if you use a mix of income and funds the 3 months rule does not apply. If you useonly the income,there is no requirement for funds. The rules also do not specify that the funds must come from abroad. But you are not allowed a work in Thailand on retirement extension (some exceptions exist)

We all know that at the local level this can vary.

Most have experienced the 3 months rule for funds only.

Many have been asked somehow to show that the funds come from abroad

Most have been asked to show a bank account even when going the income route

All it needs is a copy of your bank book, a bank statement,copies of the transfers from abroad and you are all set !

Yes according to the written translation of the police order, if you use only the bank account the funds have to be there for 3 months before application. if you use a mix of income and funds the 3 months rule does not apply. If you useonly the income,there is no requirement for funds. The rules also do not specify that the funds must come from abroad. But you are not allowed a work in Thailand on retirement extension (some exceptions exist)

All it needs is a copy of your bank book, a bank statement,copies of the transfers from abroad and you are all set !

Maybe........ but looking at all these post + other threads makes one wonder about this 'copies that the money came from overseas'

Yes I am on this route, the money came into Thailnd from overseas over 5 years ago....... They in BKK have that Bank statement, I only have a very poor photocopy. To try to photo copy this copy = one cannot make out what is on it....... ?

The money xx,million was sent into my cheque account [opened some 10+yrs ago] but immigration said this account was not any good, so that account was closed and the 800,000 was put into a fixed term account, which so far has been fine, renewed the fixed 5 yrs term again last month... the rest of the money is in Thailand but on high investment + private investment + everyday use in another Bank with a Visa card, these 3 are No good for immigration..

I do not have a Bank book where the 800,000 is, just monthly statement.... is this still going to be OK ? I do not understand why a 'new' copy of the 'money came from overseas' is needed....... they have it in my file at BKK this info. my last Visa stamp they question the fixed term and had to go and see the Supervisor........ yet 5 1/2 years ago they told me to open a FIXED TERM account, and that this was good for 'the rest of my life' visa

Maybe........ but looking at all these post + other threads makes one wonder about this 'copies that the money came from overseas'

Yes I am on this route, the money came into Thailnd from overseas over 5 years ago....... They in BKK have that Bank statement, I only have a very poor photocopy. To try to photo copy this copy = one cannot make out what is on it....... ?

The money xx,million was sent into my cheque account [opened some 10+yrs ago] but immigration said this account was not any good, so that account was closed and the 800,000 was put into a fixed term account, which so far has been fine, renewed the fixed 5 yrs term again last month... the rest of the money is in Thailand but on high investment + private investment + everyday use in another Bank with a Visa card, these 3 are No good for immigration..

I do not have a Bank book where the 800,000 is, just monthly statement.... is this still going to be OK ? I do not understand why a 'new' copy of the 'money came from overseas' is needed....... they have it in my file at BKK this info. my last Visa stamp they question the fixed term and had to go and see the Supervisor........ yet 5 1/2 years ago they told me to open a FIXED TERM account, and that this was good for 'the rest of my life' visa

I am probably going to receive some flak but I think that the idea of the bank balance is to show you have enough (they decide the amount and set it at 800K)

Also as you are not supposed to work in Thailand it seems natural to me that they ask to see that the money you are spending is replaced by momey coming from abroad.

In your case it seems you have sent all your savings to Thailand in one go and are living of the capital and the interrest it generates. It is a special case and It might need some persuasion and considerate officer to go through the logic. Is it becomes very difficutlt, you could always send the money aborad and re-send it in to get a fresh income credit advice. Good luck

here...since i did not have the letter which stated that the funds were sent from overseas...the officer/amd her supervisor...said...we will grant you a 30 day retirement visa today. i was told to sign a letter swearing i would visit again in 30 days for the balance visa of 11 months to be stamped in my passport. she explaind this is all new in the BKK office.

i asked...do i need to bring the letter at that time. i was told...NO!

i asked will you check with SCB about my funds transfers in this 30 day period. they laughed. NO they would not!

i find this very comical. i needed the letter today...i dont need it in 30 days.????

does anyone else find this ironically silly?

also i had the SWIFT papers with me. they couldnt care less.

just another day in los.

wow...i hope this once and for all explains what they want at BKK office as of 8-29-2007

Thanks for the clear report. We have seen several other recent reports of retirement visa extension applicants being given a 30 day stamp and having to return but no details on why. In this case we see it blamed on not having something that was never required and nobody knows how to prepare so not sure if 'special treatment' for those with lawyers, or everyone will be subject to a 30 day stamp. Interesting. Anyone else done the extension using 800k this week?

I SPEAK ENGLISH VERY WELL. I ALSO HAD A THAI LAWYER WITH ME. I WAS STILL GIVEN A RUN AROUND ABOUT HAVING 800,000 SENT AT LEAST 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO RENEWAL...FROM OVERSEAS.

ALL YOU KNOW IT ALLS WHO ARE SAYING THIS AND THAT...MEET ME AT SATHORN ROAD...BRING SOME CASH AND LETS MAKE SOME BETS. I WILL TAKE ALL YOUR MONEY. I KNOW WHAT IMMIGRATION TOLD ME FROM A-Z. THEY WANT A NEW LETTER OF PROOF...BANK BOOK ISNT GOOD ENOUGH. THE LETTER MUST SHOW 800,000 SENT FROM ABROAD AT LEAST 90 DAYS BEFORE NEW VISA.

so if I have 800k in my bank account for a year and need to renew my retirement visa I need to transfer another 800k meaning I will then have 1.6 million baht then the next year 2.4 million baht, after 10 years of renewal I will end up with one very large balance, I think the officer you spoke too needs some educating, of course the alternative would be to transfer the 800k out then back in every 9 months, hardly practical, perhaps some of these Thai officials need to read up on the rules themselves.

so if I have 800k in my bank account for a year and need to renew my retirement visa I need to transfer another 800k meaning I will then have 1.6 million baht then the next year 2.4 million baht, after 10 years of renewal I will end up with one very large balance, I think the officer you spoke too needs some educating, of course the alternative would be to transfer the 800k out then back in every 9 months, hardly practical, perhaps some of these Thai officials need to read up on the rules themselves.

The point being that you should USE some/all of the 800k as living expenses each year, so as to show you aren't waving the same 800k in their faces, year after year, and then walking round the corner to the bar you work in, or the dive shop you own, etc (I.E. making your money INSIDE Thailand)

Or am i reading the rules wrong?

Penkoprod

Got my first retirement visa at Bangkok this week, It was so easy especially after tthe tales I have been reading here over the past year. 800k in Kasikorn for a couple of days short of the required 3 months was accepted.

Paperwork was a doddle and immigration officer helpful.

took 3 photocopies of passport pages, bank book relevant pages,letter from Kasikorn bank stating when and how much was deposited them and that this money had been transferred in from abroad.

Unexpectedly I too was asked to draw a location map of the house I live in.

Very satisfied with the fair and helpful treatment I recieved from the much maligned Immigration officers

the big problem here is getting a letter saying that your money came from overseas. the general at immigration needs to order the general of banking to order the general of letter writing to order the general of office depot to order the general of ink to order the general of language that this letter is making many people crazy. get my drift? the left hand has ruled...YOU NEED A LETTER!...the right hand doesnt want to write this letter.

all of my money was wiredinto one account at one time from overseas. since then i have opened new accounts with those funds...they could care less. these funds to them are considered not from overseas. nobody at immigration will THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX...and use logic and look at my bank books which clearly all add up to the same amount just different accounts. my bank manager says....IF I SAY ITS FROM OVERSEAS...I AM A LIAR.???? damned if you do...damned if you dont.

the big problem here is getting a letter saying that your money came from overseas. the general at immigration needs to order the general of banking to order the general of letter writing to order the general of office depot to order the general of ink to order the general of language that this letter is making many people crazy. get my drift? the left hand has ruled...YOU NEED A LETTER!...the right hand doesnt want to write this letter.

all of my money was wiredinto one account at one time from overseas. since then i have opened new accounts with those funds...they could care less. these funds to them are considered not from overseas. nobody at immigration will THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX...and use logic and look at my bank books which clearly all add up to the same amount just different accounts. my bank manager says....IF I SAY ITS FROM OVERSEAS...I AM A LIAR.???? damned if you do...damned if you dont.

Hmmmm.

That does sound problematical.

However, to read between the lines here, what about people who show up with their original bank account book showing the money has come from overseas with codes in the passbook? There are no such complications there.

Yes like wise....... + as ALL the money came to an account which Immigration did not allow, I have no account showing that any of the money came from overseas into said account.

Today I renewed my retirement visa at Bangkok Immigration. I had gone there on August 2, 800,000 in Bkk. Bank, but for only two months after topping up, and without any letter or receipt showing the money came from abroad. They gave me a 30-day extension, enough time for the money to season another month, reaching the 3-month requirement.

After reading all the forum discussions on retirement visa, I thought it good to come over-prepared, which I did. Got three receipts from Bkk. Bank (receipts, not letters) showing the three SWIFT transfers I've made from abroad. Re-copied everything as if I was making a first-time visa renewal. Showed up at Immigration at 9 am., got my queue number, and sat down to wait. 90 minutes later, my number was called. The officer looked only at my passport, seeing that I was on the one-month "under consideration" stamp. She had no interest in seeing any of my fresh paperwork. Instead she directed my to the two desks just inside the front door to Room 101, put my passport into the inbox, and handed me another queue number. My passport was taken to where they keep the files of paperwork, and was quickly returned to the first desk, with my file. The officer never looked at me or my fresh paperwork. He glanced thru the file, stamped my new visa for eleven more months, and passed it all to the officer to his left. She reviewed it briefly and called my number. I took the passport, saw the desired result, and let out a big sigh of relief.

So for those of you who must return to Immigration a month after having paid and handed in your paperwork, I'd suggest bypassing the queue in the main part of Room 101. Just toss your passport into the in box at the two desks just inside the door, take the queue number there, and you should be in and out quickly if everything is in order.

Since I never had to produce the bank's receipts showing money being wired in from abroad, I'll keep them and use them next year, along with a fresh bank letter verifying the account balance.

thailien8...thank you for that heads up.

i hope others with the one month consideration visa add to this topic about their visit to BKK immigration. i am speaking of others who...like me...got one month retirement and was told to re-visit in 30 days for eleven more month extension.

i also saw people yesterday who did not have the letter of overseas deposits/transfers. they all got the one month visa.

everyone of them was told...COME BACK IN 30 DAYS...show your passport to the 2 officials at the 2 front desks and go from there. they actually said...DO NOT bring your letter at that time. that was my major concern yesterday.

why did they demand it on the first visit and totally NOT need it on the second visit? very curious!

ps i went to SCB and got a letter showing all my funds started in the USA...and when deposited in bangkok...i transferred to other new accounts. the amounts were well over 2 million baht and all were in thai banks more than 180 days ago. that was all very clear in the bank books that i copied and showed them. they still wanted that silly letter on first visit.

wow...i hope this is clear and helps the rest of you on your next trip to immigration... please let us know all the details.

AT LAST

Some others has walked into the same problem that I started this this topic on.

So all you that said no new 800,000 money needed to be show have not been to the Bangkok Imm lately.

Or you do not need to draw a map.

Or I am scaremongering.

Read some of the latest replies from real retirees in Bangkok.

You have to wounder why we bother some times to inform people on here of our findings.

I had every thing except the letter that said NEW 800,000 Bhat this year brought in.

So 2 trips 6 hours. Oh and just to make your day the same officer said that if I wanted the one months retirement visa so that I could go get the letter and bring it back in 30 days I could not have access to my money in the bank for one month.

Hence why I recame back and sat there for the other 3 hours.

Times are a changing in Bangkok.

I will see what happens to me next year.

But I will bring in the 800,000 New money for sure to show I am not rourting the system as I am sure others are doing hence why the change in thinking in Bangkok Imm. :o