English Sausage Recipies

chiang mai

Am looking for a good recipe for English sausages for my own personal use as apposed to any commercial venture. I used to have years ago but it has been lost as I have moved around. I can recall most of the ingredients but alas not the proportions or quantities hence I put the question here. It seems from memory that the ingredients comprise:

fatty and lean pork on a 1 to 5 ratio

bread crumbs or rusks

Nutmeg

sage

salt

white pepper

thyme,

mace

nutmeg

Any clues or pointers on this are most welcome.

Here's my formula for a good breakfast sausage, that you can either stuff in casings, or make in patty form.

This is for one Kilo:

Ground lean pork ham 800 gm

Pork Fat 200 gm

Sea Salt 1.1 Tbs

Powdered sage 1.3 Tsp

Summer savory 0.9 Tsp

Nutmeg 0.4 Tsp

Marjoram 1.5 Tsp

Ground black 0.7 Tsp

pepper

Pork fat can be very fatty pork belly, try and maintain 20% fat content, the flavor of sausage is in the fat.

No savory available, you can substitute oregano of necessary.

Cut ham and pork belly into strips that fit in your grinder.

Place on a low rack or tray and pop in the freezer till the are stiff, not solid frozen, depending on the power of your grinder.

At the same time place the metal grinder head in the freezer also.

When the meat is stiff, remove and grind with coarse plate, mix pieces of fat and lean as you grind.

Place in large bowl and mix spice ingredients into the bowl and mix very well, form in pattys or stuff and freeze.

I basically make my sausages in a similar way to you, but I find that the texture of the sausage a bit grainy. I tried adding more fat but to his date have not been able to overcome the problem. Anyone have a solution to getting the sausage texture smooth.

Here's my formula for a good breakfast sausage, that you can either stuff in casings, or make in patty form.

This is for one Kilo:

Pork Fat 200 gm

Sea Salt 1.1 Tbs

Powdered sage 1.3 Tsp

Summer savory 0.9 Tsp

Nutmeg 0.4 Tsp

Marjoram 1.5 Tsp

Ground black 0.7 Tsp

pepper

Pork fat can be very fatty pork belly, try and maintain 20% fat content, the flavor of sausage is in the fat.

No savory available, you can substitute oregano of necessary.

Cut ham and pork belly into strips that fit in your grinder.

Place on a low rack or tray and pop in the freezer till the are stiff, not solid frozen, depending on the power of your grinder.

At the same time place the metal grinder head in the freezer also.

When the meat is stiff, remove and grind with coarse plate, mix pieces of fat and lean as you grind.

Place in large bowl and mix spice ingredients into the bowl and mix very well, form in pattys or stuff and freeze.

Someone mentioned to me that maybe the engrediants that I'm using might be just too good, he suggested throwing in a few eyeballs and some ears. No sure if that would work.

I basically make my sausages in a similar way to you, but I find that the texture of the sausage a bit grainy. I tried adding more fat but to his date have not been able to overcome the problem. Anyone have a solution to getting the sausage texture smooth.

This is for one Kilo:

Pork Fat 200 gm

Sea Salt 1.1 Tbs

Powdered sage 1.3 Tsp

Summer savory 0.9 Tsp

Nutmeg 0.4 Tsp

Marjoram 1.5 Tsp

Ground black 0.7 Tsp

pepper