No NFL Games On Espn?

Over the past 4 years I've enjoyed the NFL Sunday & Monday Night football games on ESPN. I just received my Truevisions magazine for Sept and there are no games on ESPN this Sept. Did I miss something and this is a permanent loss of NFL games on ESPN?

Greg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL games are still on the ESPN service on the Dream satellite service which comes from the Philippines but wouldn't recommend anyone to get this nowdays, I would of thought they (Truevision) would provide this service now the football has moved chanels

There was another thread on this subject, cannot find it now. It said there would be no ESPN coverage. Only two Sunday afternoon games on True Sports 2, 0000 and 0315 hours Monday thai time. Time to start complaining to True.

You need to contact ESPN about this. Better customer service and it's their programming, not True's.

I am very anxious to do just that! Does anybody know the best way to get to them? Should it be directed to somebody at ESPN International? I have no idea about their authority chain of command for decisions like this.

I've emailed ESPN star many times about programming and NEVER recieved an answer. their customer service is worse than true. How about the Sunday games that were re-broadcast on mondays on (i think) the action channel - CH. 62?

If True gets enough complaints about no ESPN coverage, maybe they will complain to ESPN?

I called Truevisions, and ran into a wall of ignorance. I tried at least 6 times to get the girl to understand that I KNOW that they broadcast American football; but that they ONLY have it scheduled on True Sport 3, with NONE on ESPN. She just kept telling me that I could find the schedule on the website. "I have the schedule. I got it in the mail. It doesn't show any NFL games on ESPN. Is that correct? Will there be any games on ESPN?" In reply: "Yes, we have American football. You can look up the schedule on the website." ... sigh!

So, I went to the website, and linked to the promo they have on their "new" sports channels. There I saw the name of their senior director of something or other. I also picked up their email address for customer service ([email protected]), and sent this note:

________________________________________________________________________________

ATTENTION - Please forward this message to Mr. Thiti Nantapatsiri.

Dear Mr. Nantapatsiri,

I am an American citizen, now living in Thailand with my Thai wife, Suwanna. We moved here in April of 2006, following my retirement.

My primary form of enjoyment, both now, and when I was in the USA, is watching the NFL -American professional football. I can assure you that this sport is the MOST POPULAR SPORT in the United States. While it is true that many people enjoy baseball and basketball, American football is the most popular sport in my country. If you can check the TV viewing ratings in the USA, you would see that this is true.

Last year, UBC showed 2 games per week on SuperSport; AND 2 games per week on ESPN. The SuperSport games were those played on Sunday afternoons in the USA. The ESPN games were those played on Sunday and Monday nights in the USA.

This year, according to my September Truevisions schedule, Truevisions will be broadcasting only TWO games per week, both on True Sport 3. These are the games played on Sunday afternoon in the USA. There are NO (prime time) night games scheduled for broadcast on ESPN, or any other Truevisions sports channel.

I, and most other Americans living here in Thailand, am VERY disappointed in this reduction in coverage of our favorite sport! Truevisions broadcasts soccer nearly 24 hours a day, often on 2 or 3 channels at the same time. Why are you so disrespectful to American sports fans?

I request that you take whatever action necessary to provide broadcast the NFL games that are played at night in the USA. These would be shown early on Monday and Tuesday mornings here.

Please reply to my request, and be certain that I, and all Americans in Thailand, will appreciate your efforts to give back the coverage you provided for us last year.

________________________________________________________________________________

All of you who are going to miss those primetime NFL games as much as I will, please take a couple of minutes to also send a note to them at the email address I gave. It may not help at all, but it's the ONLY chance we've got of getting back our NFL night games.

espnstar.com

Someone on another thread seems to have a reliable email address for ESPN Star Sports as they said they always get quick response when they send an email. I can't remember what thread. But whenever I use the "contact us" form, I always get an email saying my message did not get through to them. So, that may be your problem, Netsfan. And, ESPN Star Sports is a bad company? I bet it just wasn't cost effective to show NFL. While there are some fans, probably not enough? Seems they should still keep it on, just so those fans won't be pissed off. I also don't understand why it would be too expensive for them to show NFL, as they are somehow affiliated with ESPN/ABC in the U.S. seeing that they have the same name and all. But I don't know the relationship between ESPN Asia with the original ESPN in the U.S. It would make sense if they worked a little more closely together. Whatever.

Also, patsfangr, please don't say True is disrespectful to American sports fans when they're not. They're not the ones who pulled the NFL games, ESPN is. I understand they don't show NFL on ESPN in any Asian countries anymore.

You can complain about True, but don't complain to them when it's not needed.

You guys ever heard of the new slingbox? It may be a solution if you want to watch your same sports overseas. Google it. You'd have to get a fast internet connection in Thailand or wherever you are, and it would be hooked up to your TV in the U.S. and you could watch all your channels, and then you could watch DirecTV or Dish Network, etc. on your computer in Thailand. It's new so I don't know how reliable it is, and would depend on a great internet connection. If it was too choppy it'd be a waste of money. Anyway, check it out.

Edit: Also, I doubt ESPN will listen if True complained about no NFL games. True is now their competitor in Thailand for Premier League rights, so I doubt ESPN is too happy about getting outbid by them. Further, there is not enough Americans in Thailand for True to care too much, either, about this topic. Sad but true. Different country, different life, is sometimes what you gotta say.

Edited by Jimjim

espnstar.com

You guys ever heard of the new slingbox? It may be a solution if you want to watch your same sports overseas. Google it. You'd have to get a fast internet connection in Thailand or wherever you are, and it would be hooked up to your TV in the U.S. and you could watch all your channels, and then you could watch DirecTV or Dish Network, etc. on your computer in Thailand. It's new so I don't know how reliable it is, and would depend on a great internet connection. If it was too choppy it'd be a waste of money. Anyway, check it out.

Slingbox will work if you have the signal. i.e. you could plug it into a house in the US which has the signal and an internet connection and then pick it up in thailand via the internet.

However I live in Thailand and have not lived in the States for 30 years, so that is not an option for me.

Also, my fast internet thru TT&T is slow. Would have to get IPSTAR, which would not be a problem.

Last season I was able to receive ESPN from South Africa (Multichoice), which was broadcasted directly from the states. I was able to watch both Sunday & Monday night games and some Thursday Night games. I can no longer receive this because the card sharing server no longer exist for my satellite receivers. If you have a satellite system and broadband internet, you can receive the Mutlichoice channel with a Dreambox receiver.

I just checked the Multichoice listings (http://www.mnet.co.za/) on ESPN and they will be showing Saints vs Colts on 7 Sept ( 6 Sept in the US). Their listings currently don't go beyond 7 Sep, so I can't verify the showing of the Mon & Sun games.

Last season I was able to receive ESPN from South Africa (Multichoice), which was broadcasted directly from the states. I was able to watch both Sunday & Monday night games and some Thursday Night games. I can no longer receive this because the card sharing server no longer exist for my satellite receivers. If you have a satellite system and broadband internet, you can receive the Mutlichoice channel with a Dreambox receiver.

I just checked the Multichoice listings (http://www.mnet.co.za/) on ESPN and they will be showing Saints vs Colts on 7 Sept ( 6 Sept in the US). Their listings currently don't go beyond 7 Sep, so I can't verify the showing of the Mon & Sun games.

That's good info. Thanks. I will see if I can get yhis setup.

I just received a new email from True saying they will broadcast the two Sunday afternoon games live, that is Monday morning Thai time. They also said they will be showing 4 games per week, but did not elaborate.

I know they don’t give a stuff but I’ve put True on notice. I’m Aussie and enjoy the NFL and most sports (Bull Riding is taking things a bit far). No NASCAR this year now this, what’s next? MotoGP! I dare em too.

I know they don’t give a stuff but I’ve put True on notice. I’m Aussie and enjoy the NFL and most sports (Bull Riding is taking things a bit far). No NASCAR this year now this, what’s next? MotoGP! I dare em too.

Easy now, Mate. Perhaps now they can find more room on the schedule ... or is that SHEDUAL? ... for more of the heart-stopping thrills and excitement of billiards, snooker, and badmitton! :o:D

Bastards put on 9 ball Pool when having MotoGP advertised 16:00 to 20:00 yesterday arvo. The MotoGP finaly came on with only 21 laps to go in the main event.

I'm sure that was a cock up.

The Main Sports advertisement in the middle of Septembers magazine indicates NFL is on ESPN but nowhere in the schedules and nothing seems to line up.

Obviously True do not have a clue <deleted> they are doing.

As for the customer service (I use the term loosly) desks continually pointing us to the schedules, you decide, IMO it's a total waste of time. I'm still looking at alternatives but it's hard in the rice paddies of Isaan.

Bastards put on 9 ball Pool when having MotoGP advertised 16:00 to 20:00 yesterday arvo. The MotoGP finaly came on with only 21 laps to go in the main event.

I'm sure that was a cock up.

The Main Sports advertisement in the middle of Septembers magazine indicates NFL is on ESPN but nowhere in the schedules and nothing seems to line up.

Obviously True do not have a clue <deleted> they are doing.

As for the customer service (I use the term loosly) desks continually pointing us to the schedules, you decide, IMO it's a total waste of time. I'm still looking at alternatives but it's hard in the rice paddies of Isaan.

Well, Denner, when it comes to business practices, anywhere you go in Thailand outside of downtown BKK is a "rice paddy". Their processes are simply silly. They have no concept of how to run any business bigger than a noodle shop. There are, and I have met, some very well educated and intelligent Thai businessmen. But, in plain truth, they are a woefully small minority.

The Truevisions practice of simply repeatedly suggesting that you look at the schedules on the website would, in the USA, be considered rude, at best, for a "Customer Service" operation.

I also saw that Main Sports ad, with the notice of the "opening game on ESPN on Sept 7". Right, it's not shown in the schedule pages.

Surely you are kidding. Bull Riding is the best thing on the air :-)

My little boy can't get enough of it

Dr. B

You need to contact ESPN about this. Better customer service and it's their programming, not True's.

I am very anxious to do just that! Does anybody know the best way to get to them? Should it be directed to somebody at ESPN International? I have no idea about their authority chain of command for decisions like this.

This is a disaster of Biblical proportions. Seems to be confirmed here on ESPN-Star's wonderful "open" forum, 360:

http://www.espnstar360.com/forum/index.php?topic=111.0

http://www.espnstar360.com/forum/index.php?topic=106.0

I'll try their feedback page at http://www.espnstar.com/corporate/corpo_contactus.jsp but I'm not holding my breath.

When I told my American friend in Singapore he was ready to slit his wrists but at least in Singapore with 21st century Internet speeds, he can go for Internet streaming.

I'll check out Phuket Cable and if they show some NFL games, I'll drop True in a New York second.

This is a disaster of Biblical proportions. Seems to be confirmed here on ESPN-Star's wonderful "open" forum, 360:

http://www.espnstar360.com/forum/index.php?topic=111.0

http://www.espnstar360.com/forum/index.php?topic=106.0

I'll try their feedback page at http://www.espnstar.com/corporate/corpo_contactus.jsp but I'm not holding my breath.

When I told my American friend in Singapore he was ready to slit his wrists but at least in Singapore with 21st century Internet speeds, he can go for Internet streaming.

I'll check out Phuket Cable and if they show some NFL games, I'll drop True in a New York second.

Not so fast on dropping Truevisions, Ignacio. They WILL be broadcasting some NFL games. Their schedule is going to be pretty much the same as it was last year on their True Sports channels. They'll be showing the (USA time) Sunday afternoon games, starting here at midnight Sunday, and going on through Monday morning. The opening game for my team, The Patriots, is scheduled to be on this Sunday night/Monday morning, on True Sport 3. The Bears-Chargers game will follow it at 4 AM.

What we're losing, unless Truevisions is able to make some licensing agreements as a result of MANY EXPRESSIONS OF CONCERN from ALL OF US, will be all of the USA "prime time" games - the Sunday Night, Monday Night, and occassional Thursday Night games that are broadcast on NBC and ESPN back there. All of those are the games that WERE carried by this idiot outfit, ESPN Star.

As for ESPN Star, can somebody tell me what value a "forum" for a TV station has if "schedule will not be discussed here"? Freakin' idiots!!

Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the installation, by C.A.T. Telecom, of a fiber optic cable into my neighborhood, and my home. I should then have a fast enough connection to go for "streaming" of the NFL package. Expensive, but cost is no object when it comes to my PATRIOTS FOOTBALL! hel_l, three years ago I flew from So Cal to Jacksonville, and paid $1200 for a Super Bowl ticket. I guess I can pay a couple of hundred for a whole season of games! :-)

As for ESPN Star, can somebody tell me what value a "forum" for a TV station has if "schedule will not be discussed here"? Freakin' idiots!!

I agree with you there. Evidently the forum moderators are not really employees of ESPN or at least they have no say in anything that goes on there. They always say as mods they have no say in programming and nobody is on the forum from ESPN who can address those issues. Why not? The higher ups at ESPN obviously don't want to use the forum to communicate with viewers about programming. And it sucks because when I try to contact them with their "contact us" link it never goes through. Anyone have a reliable email for ESPN/Star Sports? There was some other thread about this subject where someone did have a reliable email but damned if I can find one on their website. There is a phone number, however, try it out.

I just read in Bangkok Post that True will be showing 4 NFL games a week on their own sports channels. Either they bought the rights away from ESPN or they did this to compensate for ESPN not showing NFL anymore in order to keep customers upset that ESPN quite showing it. I believe it's the latter but don't know for sure. Anyway, I hope it's not an indication that True wants to eventually take ESPN off the schedule altogether a year from now. ESPN produces much better quality in anything it shows.

I just read in Bangkok Post that True will be showing 4 NFL games a week on their own sports channels. Either they bought the rights away from ESPN or they did this to compensate for ESPN not showing NFL anymore in order to keep customers upset that ESPN quite showing it. I believe it's the latter but don't know for sure. Anyway, I hope it's not an indication that True wants to eventually take ESPN off the schedule altogether a year from now. ESPN produces much better quality in anything it shows.

Supposedly it's on True sports 3  http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/06Sep2007_sport27.php

Well, according to both their magazine and online program schedules. There are ONLY 2 live games each week with the replay of those 2 games throughout the week. Further, if you check both schedules for 17 Sep. There are no games scheduled that morning, but they show badminton and golf in those time slots. Then the schedules show replay of 2 games throughout that week.

So, what are we to believe, 2 games, 4 games? Is there anyone at True Visions that knows what going on? I believe that we will only receive 2 games each week throughout the season.

What about the playoffs???

Edited by Thaigreg

A friend called me last nite to tell me he had gotten thru to UBC(?) and they assured him the Sun and Mon nite games will be carried live True sports channel 38. They will not have games for any other days, like the season opener on Thursday nite. I didn't hear this with my own ears but my friend schedules his turn arounds from work around the NFL tv schedule so he was really upset, therefore I will believe him until I find out different.

As for ESPN/STAR, except for the Rugby World Cup, it is trash. I went to the ESPN International website and the only region in the world not carrying NFL is ESPN Asia. There is even a region called ESPN Pacific Rim and it has it. I think it is because the Asian area is probably controlled by Hong Kong chinese, which is enough of an explanation for me to understand its useless programming. If it weren't for Yo I'm sure there would be no "rounders" either.

So, what are we to believe, 2 games, 4 games? Is there anyone at True Visions that knows what going on? I believe that we will only receive 2 games each week throughout the season.

You're to believe the press release in the paper, like I said. Here, I'll even give you the link. Click that and see for yourself. Showing season opener of Saints and Colts, etc. Just click the link, it tells all.

I'm sure playoffs will be shown as well.

You're to believe the press release in the paper, like I said. Here, I'll even give you the link. Click that and see for yourself. Showing season opener of Saints and Colts, etc. Just click the link, it tells all.

Hi jimjim,

Thanks for the link. Why can't Truevisions put out some kind of statement on their website or TrueSport 3 channel, as to this change? I'll be watching! Thanks again.

Greg

Hi jimjim,

Thanks for the link. Why can't Truevisions put out some kind of statement on their website or TrueSport 3 channel, as to this change? I'll be watching! Thanks again.

Greg

I assume that I am like most resident Falangs in my general lack of confidence in most of what I hear and read from Thai government and/or business sources. However, perhaps only as a result of my strong desire for it to be true, I'm tending to believe this press release. I just can't imagine why they'd go to the trouble of publishing it, if it weren't true. I mean, the truth will be evident tomorrow morning!

I know that the response I received from Truevisions Customer Care email service said that they WERE working on trying to get some licensing agreements to allow them to show more NFL games. I definitely put that into the "I'll believe it when I see it" category, since it was a response to an individual. But, as I said, I'm buyin' this Bangkok Post press release.

And, if it IS true, I am going to write another note to Truevisions to THANK THEM HEARTILY for their action. I hope that all of you will follow suit. After all, I, and some of you, jumped quickly enough to complain when it appeared that the drop of NFL broadcasts was their fault. Let's do the right thing, and thank them if it turns out that they went to bat for us, and gave us back our full slate of NFL games. Fair enough?