No NFL Games On Espn?

Here's a little more confirmation that those of us who are READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL will be getting a fix tomorrow morning! The Truevisions folks really DO appear to be trying. But they are struggling mightily with their website. I just spent nearly an hour (I'm stuck with a dam* dial up connection in my neighborhood!) travelling all over the site, trying all their search, schedule, and "my schedule" options (as a "Member" of the site). The best thing I found was via this page: http://www.truevisionstv.com/UBC_Worlds/en...?HilightID=1914

If you'll scroll down on that top window, you'll see this week's schedule, which DOES begin with the Colts-Saints game tomorrow morning on True Sport 4.

Now, I honestly can't make any sense out of the options they present to set up "My Schedule", and set "Alerts" for specific programs. Supposedly, there is a way to have an email, or even an SMS, sent to you to alert you to specific programs (like an NFL game) that you want to watch. Well, I'll be dam*ed if I can make it work through the links they provide. Nor can I get anything to appear on "My Calendar", despite clicking on links to "Add program" to said calendar.

But, let's focus on the good news. It does appear that they really are going to be providing the prime time games for us. We may have to check the schedules daily; or even just get up early on Monday and Tuesday mornings and check channels True Sport 3 and 4. But I'm beginning to believe that we will get our 4 games per week.

Can't help wondering why they can't get their act together on the website, though. It looks like they've got some people with the right ideas, but can't seem to manage getting everything in synch. Pages contradict one another, and links don't do what they say they'll do. 'A' for effort and intent; but a sad 'F' for execution, I'm afraid.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, if it IS true, I am going to write another note to Truevisions to THANK THEM HEARTILY for their action. I hope that all of you will follow suit. After all, I, and some of you, jumped quickly enough to complain when it appeared that the drop of NFL broadcasts was their fault. Let's do the right thing, and thank them if it turns out that they went to bat for us, and gave us back our full slate of NFL games. Fair enough?

I agree that Truevisions deserve our thanks, if what they know say comes to past, but let's not forget that without out complaints to them they would not have restored those games to their schedule.

Greg

thanks for all the advice. but i'm still at a loss. i'm new to bangkok, i'm a poor student, and i'm not proficient with the internet. does anybody know of any bars or hotels or brothels, i mean, what-not, in bangkok that have these channels that the games will be on? something close to the pathumwan area would be ideal. i can't afford to get the satellite or internet hook-ups here at my place. or... if you're a true fan (especially a 49er fan), and trust that i am too, let me know where the party's at and i'll come with the beer for the game. what do you say? and i won't take it personally if and when you talk shit about my thus far over-hyped team. seriously, we've got to work as a team here!

Truevisions has done it! The opening game is on NOW on True Sport 3. Looks like the have, indeed, completed licensing agreements that will allow them to give us our 4-game per week "fix" of NFL games!

BRAVO! FOR TRUEVISIONS! (But somebody should tell them to drop that Mike Vick promo!) :-) Greg, I hold nothing against Truevisions at all for the fact that they did not initially have the prime time, former ESPN games on the schedule. They may not have even realized it. They just relay the ESPN programming, as is. When we complained, Truevisions responded. I don't think we can ask any more of them than that. I'm totally grateful, and will tell them so!

It did finally dawn on me why ESPN Star - Asia dropped the NFL broadcasts. I'll bet a months Social Security and pension checks that it's retaliation for the NFL (and my Pats) cancelling the game we were going to play in Beijing. It had been announced, and the NFL backed out because of major logistical problems with Beijing. The Chinese lost face. They are pissed off big time at the NFL, and this is retaliation, pure and simple!

If you take a look ESPN is showing NCAA football right now – Louisville vs Middle Tennessee. With True picking up the slack on NFL, I will gladly accept ESPN dropping the NFL if they continue to carry some NCAA football thru the year.

As a long standing Redskins fan I can always pick up the NFL games over the internet thru Yahoo or NFL.com.

And the Bull Riding that ESPN now covers hardly replaces the NFL – not even close to the same time slots. I look forward to watching the Bull Riding every Friday at my local watering hole - like tonight. I did a little Bull Riding in me younger days and let me tell you there is nothing I did before or nothing I have done since (motor bikes, car racing, class V white water, rappelling, sky diving, etc.) that even comes close to experiencing having over 1,000 pounds of animal between your legs – Cowboy up.

If you take a look ESPN is showing NCAA football right now – Louisville vs Middle Tennessee. With True picking up the slack on NFL, I will gladly accept ESPN dropping the NFL if they continue to carry some NCAA football thru the year.

As a long standing Redskins fan I can always pick up the NFL games over the internet thru Yahoo or NFL.com.

And the Bull Riding that ESPN now covers hardly replaces the NFL – not even close to the same time slots. I look forward to watching the Bull Riding every Friday at my local watering hole - like tonight. I did a little Bull Riding in me younger days and let me tell you there is nothing I did before or nothing I have done since (motor bikes, car racing, class V white water, rappelling, sky diving, etc.) that even comes close to experiencing having over 1,000 pounds of animal between your legs – Cowboy up.

While I can understand, and appreciate, the level of excitement that must be experienced during a bull ride, I'm afraid I'm not a fan, and would never be a participant. While not a major threat to life, it is still animal torture, in my view. I'm anti any form of animal torture. I even get upset with my wife when she puts "clothes" on our cat! :-)

As for the NCAA on ESPN, you have a point. I may have to reneg on that vow to ignore the network. I don't believe they showed much, if any, NCAA football last season. This may be a replacement for the NFL, since the NCAA didn't "insult" them. They probably figure that "American football is American football", and think that nobody will care about the difference between the NCAA and the NFL. As I said earlier, I am certain that the dropping of the NFL is retaliation for cancelation of that game the NFL had scheduled for play in Beijing this year.

So, did you send a note a note of thanks to Truevisions? If not, please do so.

In one sense, I think you all should be thankful you're able to watch NFL on television (as opposed to trying to find some reliable website service, which usually never matches up to what a television/satellite connection can give you) in Thailand at all. I doubt you would have been able to 30 years ago. 20 years, even?

In one sense, I think you all should be thankful you're able to watch NFL on television (as opposed to trying to find some reliable website service, which usually never matches up to what a television/satellite connection can give you) in Thailand at all. I doubt you would have been able to 30 years ago. 20 years, even?

But should we be thankful that based upon the information we had last month the NFL coverage this year was going to be worse than last year – who cares about 20 years ago?

While I can understand, and appreciate, the level of excitement that must be experienced during a bull ride, I'm afraid I'm not a fan, and would never be a participant. While not a major threat to life, it is still animal torture, in my view. I'm anti any form of animal torture. I even get upset with my wife when she puts "clothes" on our cat! :-)

As for the NCAA on ESPN, you have a point. I may have to reneg on that vow to ignore the network. I don't believe they showed much, if any, NCAA football last season. This may be a replacement for the NFL, since the NCAA didn't "insult" them. They probably figure that "American football is American football", and think that nobody will care about the difference between the NCAA and the NFL. As I said earlier, I am certain that the dropping of the NFL is retaliation for cancelation of that game the NFL had scheduled for play in Beijing this year.

So, did you send a note a note of thanks to Truevisions? If not, please do so.

Well Friday nights bull riding was fantastic. Only one rider in the short round able to make the full 8 seconds - some wonderful performances by the bulls. But I don’t’ want to take this thread down the path of discussions about animal cruelty – this is an American football thread.

So back to the football. I have hardly slept for the past 24 hrs. Yesterday afternoon ESPN had NCAA Texas A&M vs Fresno State – triple over time game. Roll over into Rugby world cup at 7 where Canada gave the Welsh all they could take for the first 60 min, more Rugby world cup to tide me over until the NFL games start, and now watching the Giants and Cowboys game.

True has stepped up (I sent them a thank you message already) to cover the NFL and if this weekend is any indication ESPN is going to have at least some NCAA coverage this year as well.

But should we be thankful that based upon the information we had last month the NFL coverage this year was going to be worse than last year – who cares about 20 years ago?

Looks like it's better than last year now that you have college football too. Just putting it into perspective that you can't expect a sport that is largely followed by and, more importantly, played in only one country, albeit one the most or the most powerful in the world, to be available for you to view in every country in the world.

Looks like it's better than last year now that you have college football too. Just putting it into perspective that you can't expect a sport that is largely followed by and, more importantly, played in only one country, albeit one the most or the most powerful in the world, to be available for you to view in every country in the world.

Should I expect at least the same level of service from a company has I received from them the previous year – or even better service? Not complaining so much about the lack of coverage, more about what at the time appeared to be the downgrading of coverage as compared to the previous seasons.

Believe me I have a bit of perspective on this – been living in Asia for over eight years and the move to Thailand a few years back was great for me in regard to American football. Believe me I am thankful for whateverh coverage I can get – but still felt slighted by what appeared to be a downgrading of the coverage that was going to be offered.

Don’t want to get into too much of a diatribe about what I consider the relatively poor sports coverage available on UBC – not even related to NFL or NCAA football. What about rugby? This year’s world cup coverage seems to be decent but outside of that their rugby coverage is just about non-existent. Maybe if there were more interest in rugby in the US they would have better coverage in Asia? Or how about cricket?

If it were all about local coverage/ local sports one would expect some sepak takraw coverage here in Thailand.

When you look at the timing of the games it’s not like showing them bumps local programming in any fashion. Factoring in the time of the games and the number of sports channels on UBC I don’t think expecting decent coverage is asking too much.

Even with the level of coverage we appear to be ending up with this year I will still have to rely on internet coverage to watch my favorites play (not a lot of prime time slots for a team that went 5-11 last year).

Patiently waiting for Thailand cable to venture into the 21st century and offer some pay/per view sporting options as well.

In the end it does appear that things have actually turned out better than last year – so my hats off to True and UBC, and even ESPN if they continue with the NCAA coverage.

So was the Sunday night game broadcast (Monday morning in Thailand)? What about the Monday night game(s)?

I got up this morning, turned on the TV only to see a replay of the Chargers/Bears game. SUCKS! I was expecting to see Monday Night Football.

So was the Sunday night game broadcast (Monday morning in Thailand)? What about the Monday night game(s)?

I got up this morning, turned on the TV only to see a replay of the Chargers/Bears game. SUCKS! I was expecting to see Monday Night Football.

Same disappointment here. I don't know if the Sunday Night game (Dallas-New York Giants) was shown. I had watched the Patriots-Jets, and Bears-Chargers games, so I was wiped, and went to bed without checking on that game. As those who tuned in for the Pats game know, they had trouble connecting to that. They missed the first 12 minutes of the 1st Quarter before finally getting the signal.

The good news is that Truevisions has clearly made an effort to provide us with more NFL coverage than originally scheduled. The bad news is that, for some reason, they are having problems with the connections. I hope they get it cleared up before next week's Patriots home opener against the Chargers in the Sunday Night game!!

They showed the Dalles/NY game – decent game all in.

Doesn’t look like they covered the Monday night game(s) though.

In all honesty I would be glad to give up the Monday night games if ESPN continues to carry a couple of NCAA games every week. On the plus side of the ESPN coverage they give game break updates and actually show footage of plays in other games - unlike the NFL coverage.

They showed the Dalles/NY game – decent game all in.

Doesn’t look like they covered the Monday night game(s) though.

In all honesty I would be glad to give up the Monday night games if ESPN continues to carry a couple of NCAA games every week. On the plus side of the ESPN coverage they give game break updates and actually show footage of plays in other games - unlike the NFL coverage.

While I appreciate the addition of NCAA games to ESPN, I'm never willing to give up any NFL coverage. This is my #1 sport, and has been for many years. I enjoy college football primarily as a source for viewing potential NFL stars of the future. I do enjoy watching major college matchups, and, of course, the BCS games at the end of the season. But I'm not terribly enthusiastic about seeing SMU vs. Baylor, or some such game.

The games we received this past week were broadcast on NBC (Thur & Sun night games), CBS & FOX (Sun morning games). Monday Night Football (MNF) games are ABC/ESPN games. I'm not complaining, but I still believe that ESPN Asia does not intend to broadcast MNF games. I'm very thankful for the games we did receive and hope they continue. Just stating MY opinion.

Greg

The games we received this past week were broadcast on NBC (Thur & Sun night games), CBS & FOX (Sun morning games). Monday Night Football (MNF) games are ABC/ESPN games. I'm not complaining, but I still believe that ESPN Asia does not intend to broadcast MNF games. I'm very thankful for the games we did receive and hope they continue. Just stating MY opinion.

Greg

That could be the problem, Greg. However, the press release that Truevisions published in the Bangkok Post showed that they did intend to broadcast the Ravens-Bengals game. Of course, that could have been an "intent" before they verified that they'd actually have access to it. I guess we'll know next Tuesday morning.

In any case, they did have problems connecting to the Patriots-Jets game also. They missed the start, and didn't pick it up until 12 minutes into the 1st Quarter. So I think they're still struggling with how to get everything they intend to get. I just hope they continue to work at it, and give us as much as they can get to.

The Sunday Night Football game was shown, however without the commentary.

What channel was the Sunday night game on? Was it ESPN or one of the Star Sports channels?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I am not in Thailand for another 10 days, and I want to make sure I pick a hotel that has the channel that will have the Cowboys / Bears Sunday night game.

Thanks.

Should I expect at least the same level of service from a company has I received from them the previous year – or even better service? Not complaining so much about the lack of coverage, more about what at the time appeared to be the downgrading of coverage as compared to the previous seasons.

First question. No, not in Thailand. And about downgrading of service, it was actually ESPN who cut their NFL coverage and it appears UBC increased their coverage due to customer complaints, or they were always planning to do this knowing that ESPN would change their programming.

What channel was the Sunday night game on? Was it ESPN or one of the Star Sports channels?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I am not in Thailand for another 10 days, and I want to make sure I pick a hotel that has the channel that will have the Cowboys / Bears Sunday night game.

Thanks.

It wasn't on either ESPN or Star Sports, but instead on one of True's stations. We are finding it difficult to figure out which stations will have what games and when, so don't expect a lot of help on your question. We go week to week trying to figure it all out and their website doesn't list any games to be shown. Last year it wasn't this confusing, but True didn't own UBC last year. Now, it is all a crap shoot.

I said this earlier, someplace, but there was English commentary. If it happens again, switch the remote as if you want Thai commentary and you will get English commentary (at least that is how it worked last week).

I believe we are down to 2 games/week. The 2 Sunday afternoon games. No SNF nor MNF. Last week they told me they would have an announcement on Friday. No announcement. I sent an email. No reply. I called this morning, a waste of time.

The people we talk to when we call know less than we know.

There are mixed signals and what we get one week may be different from the next. For example, I can never remember having NCAA games on during the season. The odd bowl game, yes, but not during the season. Last week we had the Louisville game live, and then on Sunday afternoon, a tape of the Texas A&M game (which wasn't advertised and I found by accident). This week, I didn't see any NCAA football, and it looks like the NFL games are just the two being discussed. Next week, it could be different again. I don't think we will ever know for sure, until after the fact.

And does not appear that they are going to replay the Sunday afternoon (US time) games Monday afternoon/evening, as has been done for years. So unless you are going to stay up all night Sunday-Monday, thats it for the NFL. Thanks True. ..l..

Sent this to True Visions via the 'contact us' form at their web site.

Hi, regarding the NFL broadcasts of the two Sunday games in the States, which are aired here Monday at 0:00 AM and 3:15 AM live, you seem to not have any replays of these games.

What's happening? I am another one of the sports fans greatly concerned about the situation surrounding NFL broadcasts on True Visions. And along with other NFL fans, I would ask that those games be aired for replay showings on Monday evenings, as had been the case for years.

Many times it's not possible to watch live at those early hours, especially both games. The edited replays (with timeouts, stoppages of play and the halftime break edited out) of these broadcasts on a Monday evening were a huge attraction. I found it quite convenient and enjoyable to watch the same-day, evening replays when I couldn't watch live. (Monday is a work day, after all, and the live broadcasts do take a long time to watch.)

Please get the NFL replays back on the air on Monday evenings.

Sincerely,

Ron