Other Forums Talking About The Retirement Visa Dependant Changes?

Are any other internet forums discussing the recent change to retirement rules in Thailand? As other posters have pointed out, the number of retirees in Thailand may be small compared to the number of tourists. But if Tourists, from our countries, are put off Thailand because it treats foreigners unfairly this may have a impact on Thai government policy.

Are any other internet forums discussing the recent change to retirement rules in Thailand? As other posters have pointed out, the number of retirees in Thailand may be small compared to the number of tourists. But if Tourists, from our countries, are put off Thailand because it treats foreigners unfairly this may have a impact on Thai government policy.

Why would tourists care ?

Naka.

Naka.

Becouse many of those tourists are tomorrows retirees to Thailand. And with increasing difficulties in aquiring a long term visa may opt for another country to settle in when thei have finished their working years. :o

Very true naka...so how about we start a campaign to make them care? :o

I just look on it as these things happen. Immigration and visa rules are always changing over time, in other countries, so why not Thailand? I still remember that in the 60's the Australian Government was actually paying you to move to Aus. and be a new immigrant there. Eventually they dropped that idea. I was in my mid-twenties and ready to immigrate to Australia around the mid 1970's. They slammed the door in my face. The gentleman at the consulate in Toronto, said I could certainly go to Australia, for a set time as a tourist, but under no circumstances could I work there. Unemployment had gone up in Australia, and he told me they were only accepting certain skills, and I didn't meet the criteria.

I understand Australia now has a retirement visa plan. I took a glance at the requirements and realized I don't have anywhere near the financial resources required. Ahhh well.

Seems like too many countries, including Thailand, want the upper middle class or the rich. Anyone of a lower status need, not apply, (except for short term tourism, of course).

Things change. What was good yesterday, may not be acceptable today. Over time, I've just learned to live with it. Always have a backup plan.

Egads!

Why do people insist on entertaining any comparison whatsoever between the retirement visa programs (or lack thereof) of Thailand to first world countries like Australia, US, and Canada? It is completely wrong to look at it this way. The economic levels are completely different. The only valid comparisons to Thailand are to other countries at similar economic levels to Thailand, such as Brazil, Mexico, Peru, Philippines, Malaysia, Argentina, Costa Rica, etc. All of those have retirement programs and all are at very low economic requirements or in the case of Brazil, about the same for pensions.

Edited by Jingthing

Egads!

Why do people insist on entertaining any comparison whatsoever between the retirement visa programs (or lack thereof) of Thailand to first world countries like Australia, US, and Canada? It is completely wrong to look at it this way. The economic levels are completely different. The only valid comparisons to Thailand are to other countries at similar economic levels to Thailand, such as Brazil, Mexico, Peru, Philippines, Malaysia, Argentina, Costa Rica, etc. All of those have retirement programs and all are at very low economic requirements or in the case of Brazil, about the same for pensions.

The economic levels you refer to change all the time, even in developing countries. In 1995 we were getting less than 18 Thai baht for our Canadian dollar. Today we can get about 31. It doesn't take much to figure out when Thailand was the most affordable. I'm just pointing out that over time, things change, whether it be economic environments, visas etc., it doesn't matter whether it's a developing country or a developed one.