New Eating Club In Chiang Rai

DonaldBattles

At the suggestion of several local Chiang Rai people, I have agreed to establish an eating club at Don's Cafe opposite the wat in Doi Hang on the road to the national park and past the prison. This is done in the interest of trying to locate places in Chiang Rai with good food at reasonable prices. We will go to some of these places as a group and as individuals. We will be asking other restaurants to give us group prices for meetings at their places.

Because of space limitations, the club will be limited to 45 people. The meeting will take place on the 1st Saturday night of each month. The next meeting will be on Sat. Oct. 6 at 19:00 at Don's Cafe, Doi Hang. During the meeting we will discuss places that people recommend the club eating at in Chiang Rai. A special American style charcoal barbecue buffet featuring steak, home made sausages, ribs and shrimp along with Thai dishes will be served at the next club meeting. The meeting will start at 19:00 sharp for the discussion and then eating.

If you are interested, please contact me, Don Battles, E-mail <snip> Mobile phone 081 894 6401.

Thanks.

Don Battles

/Mod Edit - please do not post commercial information/advertising on the forum.

Edited by Jai Dee
Email address deleted - please see the Forum Rules

meat is ok, I guess - but how about some alternatives like tofu, corn, for bbq,

plus macaroni / potato salads and chips & dip type things

You say opposite wat Doi Hang. Is that a half Km past the turn-off to the new prison? It sounds like your place is on the left right past the fork - staying on the main road to the hot springs. please give some added detail, thanks. my tel# 0841732757

We were a couple of guys with wifes and children at Dons last saturday for a BBQ. It is easy to find, a good sign on the left side just 5-600 m after the road to the new prison on the road to Hot springs.

There were around 50 people there and that was probably much more than Don had expected. When the buffet was open, BANG, a quite big group of american missionaries was glued to the buffet and when they left with plates loaded with food, the buffet was empty.

Don and his staff worked hard and the rest of us got some food too.

I can´t tell how the ribs or the steak were because I did not get any. But the shrimp was good as was the corn and the fried rice.

Don and his staff did their best but.....

So if the missionaries are invited Oct 6 I will stay home!

:D:o:D

Good idea:

We will do nacho chips and salsa, potato salad and macaroni salad in addition to the other items.

Location from Rai Mae Fah Luang is straight toward the water falls and the national park. Do not turn right to go to the prison. As you are leaving Doi Hang proper you will see signs for Don's and it is across from the new wat. Doi Hang Nok.

Price will be 195 for adults, 100 for children and Thais as they are light on farang food. There will be sufficent Thai food which is less expensive.

Hoping that other restaurants will follow suit and do the same thing so that there is more than one good place to eat.

On another subject, we have two large fishing lakes. I would like to donate some of the fish to charity organizations that are not religon related if you know any let me know.

Good idea:

On another subject, we have two large fishing lakes. I would like to donate some of the fish to charity organizations that are not religon related if you know any let me know.

Not sure because a lot of these charities are infested with these religious freaks but hopefully someone will come up with one.

well done :o

Good idea:

We will do nacho chips and salsa, potato salad and macaroni salad in addition to the other items.

Location from Rai Mae Fah Luang is straight toward the water falls and the national park. Do not turn right to go to the prison. As you are leaving Doi Hang proper you will see signs for Don's and it is across from the new wat. Doi Hang Nok.

Price will be 195 for adults, 100 for children and Thais as they are light on farang food. There will be sufficent Thai food which is less expensive.

Hoping that other restaurants will follow suit and do the same thing so that there is more than one good place to eat.

There is an excellent foundation started by an Aussie-Thai woman Sumalee Milne. She is a teacher and started the foundation with loads if hard work in her spare time. The foundation is called Ayui. Has absolutlely no religious affiliation or teaching. Every satang goes to providing food, shelter, and practical education for a deserving group of Akha children ages 12-15.

http://www.anu.edu.au/ThaiOnline/Projects/...0Foundation.pdf

Cheers

DD

Hey, is your eating club going to do any of those eating contests like you see on TV......like how much somtam can you eat in five minutes?

Most likely won't have any TV shows but there could be based on the last time of how many ribs you can pile on a plate at one time and how fast you can eat them. I think that the rib eating experts are probably in Chiang Rai. If you can get the TV I can get the ribs.

Do you know any qualified places that would like to host us the other 3 Saturday nights in the month?