mark100

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket has spoken!

Two days in Pattaya and he's an expert.

I should have stayed longer?

No thanks, it's really quite a terrible place.

Interesting that people have different experiences. The only times in Thailand where I have been physically threatened were in Phuket (by kathoeys on motos).

Phuket has spoken!

I should have stayed longer?

No thanks, it's really quite a terrible place.

Interesting that people have different experiences. The only times in Thailand where I have been physically threatened were in Phuket (by kathoeys on motos).

Yeah some of the street katoeys, mototaxi, and tuk tuk drivers can be real nasty pieces of work. Best to avoid them if one can. Didn't encounter any problems myself in Phuket , but know of people that have.

I've seen several fist fights in BKK involving rebar/2X4. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Never been the victim of a crime, or even in a threatening situation. I've walked along Beach Road at 3 am, so pissed I was almost seeing double,

Yes, it can be dangerous, but if you use a little common sense, the danger factor can be reduced significantly.

You call this using common sense? I would say you've been extremely lucky and you're living on borrowed time.

Even if you don't flaunt gold, how does a potential mugger know how much cash you are carrying around in your pockets?

Drunk foreigners staggering around late at night are in the highest risk.

Edited by tropo

the odds of being a victim of crime is substantially less than being involved in a motorbike accident.almost every day i see the aftermath of one including some with several dead or severely injured bodies.a couple days ago a motorbike tried to pass me and hit a farang on his motorbike at full speed right next to me.all this in just 2 months of living in jomtien and now rent a car until i buy one.

Pattaya is generally regarded as a pretty scummy place, I can't think of any reason to stay there other than the sex scene, but each to their own. I'm sure some people will tell me how it's a delightful place for their children or some other nonsense, but really there are so many other, nicer places.

AYE. Great isn't it :o

Been to Pattaya one time for a two day holiday.

First day on the baht bus alongside a Swedish family, three Thai's start fighting in the middle of the day - a knife is drawn and someone gets stabbed, blood all around and everyone walking around like it's just a normal day.

Second day, se at least 3 fights down the walking street before 12pm - Sad old expats trying to box each other over some 20 year old girl.

I've seen two or three bits of trouble in my 5 years in Phuket, and nothing as serious.

Pattaya is generally regarded as a pretty scummy place, I can't think of any reason to stay there other than the sex scene, but each to their own. I'm sure some people will tell me how it's a delightful place for their children or some other nonsense, but really there are so many other, nicer places.

Ahhhhhhhhh ! So Walking Street is the same as ALL Pattaya huh? THats like saying Moss Side is the same as all MANCHESTER.

You seriously think Pattaya is dangerous? You are clueless. Ever walked in Manchester late at night? Tottenham Court , Brixton , Soho in London? Handsworth, Birmingham? .Now those places ARE dangerous. Where you can get stabbed just for " looking " at someone the wrong way?

I think Pattaya has some problems..........same as all tourist areas anywhere. Maybe the reporting here is more " over the top "

I have seen many tourists walk around with the " I,m superior to you " attitude........the swagger in the walk. Look at me how good i am. They get what they deserve quite frankly.

Edited by Manchester

Phuket has spoken!

Nahhhhhhhhh he had two days in Walking Street. QUALITY tourist from Phuket. :o

My thoughts exactly. Usually the only times I go there is when a visiting farang tourist friend comes or a Thai disco loving friend drags me there. It is a must see for tourists, kind of like Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. A tourist trap and like a car crash, you can't help gawking.

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya is generally a shit hole that is full of: hookers, drug dealers; criminals, perverts and other scum bags. However, is this not the case wherever you go these days? :o

As you say, Utopian societies are hard to find, and usually too boring for the average punter.

Edited by tropo

Been to Pattaya one time for a two day holiday.

First day on the baht bus alongside a Swedish family, three Thai's start fighting in the middle of the day - a knife is drawn and someone gets stabbed, blood all around and everyone walking around like it's just a normal day.

Second day, se at least 3 fights down the walking street before 12pm - Sad old expats trying to box each other over some 20 year old girl.

I've seen two or three bits of trouble in my 5 years in Phuket, and nothing as serious.

Quote from your company ad

"We have an excellent reputation, and are a transparent and honest company - all employees will be expected to abide by our strong company ethics"

You ever really looked around Pattaya?

Another Phuket wanabee who went on a quality holiday................down Walking Street. What did you think you would see there? Childrens parks? A zoo?

I am a happy whoremonger who drinks in the bars and picks up freelancers on the beach and has gone pretty much everywhere around Pattaya with narry a problem in the last 20 years, however, I lived on the streets in the US at a young age and am always quite careful when dealing with criminals, drinkers, druggies and lowlives of any type! :o

Never been the victim of a crime, or even in a threatening situation. I've walked along Beach Road at 3 am, so pissed I was almost seeing double,

Yes, it can be dangerous, but if you use a little common sense, the danger factor can be reduced significantly.

You call this using common sense? I would say you've been extremely lucky and you're living on borrowed time.

Even if you don't flaunt gold, how does a potential mugger know how much cash you are carrying around in your pockets?

Drunk foreigners staggering around late at night are in the highest risk.

And also the most likey to be the cause of their own problems. Seen a lot of drunks stagger up to "girls" along Beach Road and (for what ever reason) start sneering at them and calling them names and generally acting like asses. And then they wonder why some people want to rob them or beat them up ? Sheesh. I'll bet they wouldn't have the balls to walk into a biker bar in their home country and call the crowd a bunch of pansy-waisted pussies, yet they'll do it to the "girls" working in that area, as though being a drunk, arrogant, obnoxious @sshole tourist should shield them from harm ?

You've got to remember to that not all those people that get into trouble in that area are sweet innocent tourists that just happened to be out for a stroll at 3 am. They may try to sound like that when they are filing a complaint at the police station later on, but a lot of them know exactly what they are looking for and where to find it.

As for me, yeah, walking around that area pissed isn't the brightest idea, but I figured it was safer than trying to stay on the back of a moto taxi. And as I mentioned in that post, I don't wander around with oodles of gold flashing every where, I don't try to make time with "girls" in that area, or insult them in any way. If I'm approached, a polite "mai ow khrap" has always sufficed (except with the Indian tailors, but they are usually gone by then). If I think I can make it, I'll cross over to the shop-side of the road instead of the beach side.

I guess the big thing is, I don't make myself out to be a target. Then again, maybe I've just been lucky time and time and time again.

Any how. I found Amsterdam to be far more dangerous by day or night than Pattaya. In fact, most major cities I've been in are quite a bit worse (Cairo, Delhi, Hamburg, Vancouver, Seattle, Toronto, Budapest, Istanbul, Zagreb, LA, to name a few).

I am a happy whoremonger who drinks in the bars and picks up freelancers on the beach and has gone pretty much everywhere around Pattaya with narry a problem in the last 20 years, however, I lived on the streets in the US at a young age and am always quite careful when dealing with criminals, drinkers, druggies and lowlives of any type! :D

You forgot UG, your training as a jarhead as made you quite stealth. :o

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=7401

Speaking for myself, there's just one thing keeping me specifically in Pattaya and it starts with a "P" (for slang).

The above link brings you to yet another local news article somehow demonstrating how things are getting worse in Pattaya.

I love to live here but it has really come down to only 1 reason: supply. The researched expat knows Hua Hin is the cream of them all now and in the future too I believe. The royal family owns big property there so I predict Hua Hin will never ever ever ever sink to what Pattaya has become. This is all IMO.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=7401

Speaking for myself, there's just one thing keeping me specifically in Pattaya and it starts with a "P" (for slang).

The above link brings you to yet another local news article somehow demonstrating how things are getting worse in Pattaya.

I love to live here but it has really come down to only 1 reason: supply. The researched expat knows Hua Hin is the cream of them all now and in the future too I believe. The royal family owns big property there so I predict Hua Hin will never ever ever ever sink to what Pattaya has become. This is all IMO.

You'd be surprised what shi*e happens in Hua Hin. :o

Pattaya is generally a shit hole that is full of: hookers, drug dealers; criminals, perverts and other scum bags. However, is this not the case wherever you go these days? :o

And your home town and country is ? Where?

Manchester! :D:D:D

Is Pattaya a safe place to live? I have certainly seen crime rise significantly since first coming there way back in 1986. But crime aside, if you are elderly the extreme heat is not safe. The polluted air is not safe. The polluted water supply is not safe. The polluted food is not safe. The polluted ocean/gulf is not safe. And many of the buildings are constructed using items that give off toxins.......not safe. So, be careful!

I am a happy whoremonger who drinks in the bars and picks up freelancers on the beach and has gone pretty much everywhere around Pattaya with narry a problem in the last 20 years, however, I lived on the streets in the US at a young age and am always quite careful when dealing with criminals, drinkers, druggies and lowlives of any type! :D

You forgot UG, your training as a jarhead as made you quite stealth. :o

I am almost twice the size I was when I was a Jarhead. My "stealthy" days are long past! :D

Is Pattaya a safe place to live? I have certainly seen crime rise significantly since first coming there way back in 1986. But crime aside, if you are elderly the extreme heat is not safe. The polluted air is not safe. The polluted water supply is not safe. The polluted food is not safe. The polluted ocean/gulf is not safe. And many of the buildings are constructed using items that give off toxins.......not safe. So, be careful!

I am not having a go at you JR Texas but really if you worry about all these things then a person might as well stay home. I've heard it all before......... Why are you going to Asia? "the plane might fall out of the sky"......... "You might get killed or robbed".... "You will get aids"....... "They will slit your throat"...... "they're not like us"............."if you get sick you will die"..... etc. etc. etc.......... :o

But you know what?.. You could walk out of your home in insert country here and be run over by a car or get robbed or shot just as you can anywhere else in the world. If you were worried about all of these things you might as well just lock your self in your condo in your home country and not go anywhere. What a life! For me I take my risks and go travel, I like to move about but I still call Pattaya home and proud to say it. :D

And while I am at it just for the record, I would rather walk around the streets of Pattaya at 3 or 4 AM than the streets of Sydney. Done both but Sydney is more how ya going, cheers. :D

And your home town and country is ? Where?

Manchester! :D:D:D

So people, as long as you dont drink,eat,swim,and a building dosent fall on you it will be fine ! :D