The Torquay United Thread

mrtoad

It's not going down too well with the Stevenage supporters though !! He's signed approx 4 players from his old club & considering his exit from them makes it all the more enraging for the Stevenage supporters.

Good to see the Gulls back to winning ways after drawing against Sailsbury & losing to Burton just recently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A happy toad.

Good three - one win today, 3 points gap between us and Aldershot. Here's hoping that they lose to Stevenage. A greta result for Barnsley and Bristol Rovers today as well.

Hopefully, United wont let me down in the next game.

& they didn't matey :o

The Gulls won, our lot managed to win & the Stags beat Darlington. The only thing missing was D***y being buggered again...Never mind, I can wait till next Saturday :D

It's getting tight at the top of the conference now mate !!

& they didn't matey :D

The Gulls won, our lot managed to win & the Stags beat Darlington. The only thing missing was D***y being buggered again...Never mind, I can wait till next Saturday :D

It's getting tight at the top of the conference now mate !!

Very happy, although sadly Aldershite won yesterday. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Torquay 1-1 Altrincham

Torquay were denied victory by Altrincham but stretched their unbeaten run in the Blue Square Premier to six.

The Gulls dominated the early stages and Altrincham goalkeeper Stuart Coburn had to be alert to keep out Kaid Mohamed and Chris Zebroski.

But Zebroski put the home side ahead on the stroke of half-time with a fine finish from outside the penalty area.

Torquay wasted more chances and paid when Warren Peyton levelled with a penalty after a foul on Joe O'Neill.

Torquay: Andersen, Mansell, Todd, Ellis, Nicholson, Mohamed (Phillips 65), Adams, Hargreaves, Zebroski, D'Sane (Benyon 88), Sills.

Subs Not Used: Rice, Robertson, Stevens.

Goals: Zebroski 44.

Altrincham: Coburn, Lane, Tinson, Shotton, Young, Peyton, Lawton, Battersby, King, Toulson, Cahill (O'Neill 56).

Subs Not Used: Scott, Sedgemore, McFadden, Senior.

Booked: Battersby.

Goals: Peyton 72 pen.

Att: 2,310

Ref: A Halliday (West Yorkshire).

Gutted with this result, 5 points behind Aldershite :o

Was this game lastnight? i tried to find Satuday's results but couldn't :o

Altrincham, they're down amongst the dead men aren't they? Have you any games in hand over the "Shots" ?? I can't believe how well they are doing with Gary Waddock (I think) in control. He was the manager that did so bad with QPR !! I would've thought it would be a whole lot harder in the conference.

Was this game lastnight? i tried to find Satuday's results but couldn't :o

Altrincham, they're down amongst the dead men aren't they? Have you any games in hand over the "Shots" ?? I can't believe how well they are doing with Gary Waddock (I think) in control. He was the manager that did so bad with QPR !! I would've thought it would be a whole lot harder in the conference.

One game in hand, although we still have to play them

Torquay didn't play at the weekend as it was the QF's of the FA Trophy. We have drawn York in the next round.

Who you got next mate ??

I was looking at the table & saw that if the final standing stay like this then your lads play Exeter in the playoffs...right?? :o That might be just an excuse for flying back for MrToad ??

I played at Torquay United before. ( In a band )

I was in The British Seamans Boys Home in Brixham, we had a marching Band and played at plainmoor before the start of the game, it was to raise money for the BSBH as it was run on donations.

Must have been 1968-69 season.

Juat saw this thread and it bought back memories for me. :o

I played at Torquay United before. ( In a band )

I was in The British Seamans Boys Home in Brixham, we had a marching Band and played at plainmoor before the start of the game, it was to raise money for the BSBH as it was run on donations.

Must have been 1968-69 season.

Juat saw this thread and it bought back memories for me. :o

Glad to hear it sounds like good memories Maigo, lovely part of the world down there, esp Brixham.

Torquay 1-2 Aldershot

Aldershot moved 11 points clear at the top of the Blue Square Premier after Scott Davies' superb half-volley in injury time sank second-placed Torquay.

The Shots went ahead when a mix-up by keeper Mikkel Anderson and Mark Ellis allowed Daniel Hylton to slot home.

Torquay responded well and equalised when Lee Phillips powered home Lee Mansell's cross at the near post.

But the Shots snatched a dramatic win when Junior Mendes found Davies on the edge of the area and he fired home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torquay: Andersen, Mansell, Todd, Ellis, Nicholson, Mohamed (Stevens 61), Hargreaves, Hockley, Zebroski (Banim 81), Sills, Phillips (D'Sane 78).

Subs Not Used: Robertson, Rice.

Booked: Ellis.

Goals: Phillips 63.

Aldershot: Bull, Gier, Day, Winfield, Charles, Davies, Chalmers (Soares 89), Harding, Joel Grant (Hudson 74), Elvins, Hylton (Mendes 83).

Subs Not Used: Jaimez-Ruiz, Straker.

Booked: Charles, Hylton, Davies.

Goals: Hylton 6, Davies 90.

Att: 4,510

Ref: P Gibbs (West Midlands).

:D:o:D Look's like we're heading for the play-offs. Eleven points behind at this stage is to big a gap, unless it was Newcastle at the top, and then you'd say you stil have a very good chance.

Good gate though :o

Looks like the shots are a class above everyone else in that division mate ?? The other teams in the playoff zone shouldn't cause you too many problems.

We bloody stuffed them 3 zip early in the season, but they've done well since. I'm not to keen on the play offs though, as they are a total lottery.

Looks like the shots are a class above everyone else in that division mate ?? The other teams in the playoff zone shouldn't cause you too many problems.

We bloody stuffed them 3 zip early in the season, but they've done well since. I'm not to keen on the play offs though, as they are a total lottery.

Please don't mention play offs :D I can't bear to have another season like the last one.

Please don't mention play offs :D I can't bear to have another season like the last one.

Yeah, but it looks like you are doing everything to make it as difficult as possible for yourselves

Buckle is proud in face of defeat

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle says he is proud of his players despite their last minute 2-1 defeat at home to Aldershot on Monday.

Buckle says his side still has a chance of challenging for the Blue Square Premier title if they keep the form they showed against the Shots.

He told BBC Radio Devon: "If we can play like that from now until the end of the season we won't be far away.

"People will drop points between now and the end of the season," he added.

Buckle felt his team deserved a win on merit but they were undone in injury time by a Scott Davies volley.

"We never got the break, the keeper was in inspired form. Sometimes, when you come up against that, you have to hold your hands up and say it wasn't our night."

"This group of players really care for this football club. We must remember that because it was not long ago that this club was struggling."

Buckle now has to pick up his side for their next match on Friday night against York City in the first leg of the FA Trophy semi-final at Plainmoor.

Hopefully get back on track this week. :o

Halifax 3-2 Torquay Utd

A Jon Shaw brace helped Halifax stave off a late comeback as they beat promotion hopefuls Torquay.

Shaw opened the scoring when he headed home Matt Doughty's cross from 12 yards and Doughty made it 2-0 as he blasted home a long-range strike.

Shaw netted again from close range to make it 3-0 to Halifax.

The Gulls pulled a goal back when Lee Phillips smashed in from 25 yards and the same player fired home from inside the box to set up a tense finale.

Halifax: Legzdins, Clarke, Wright, Quinn (Harban 62), Doughty, Griffith, Heslop, Davies, Shaw, Killeen, Forrest (Kearney 90), Harban (Campbell 81).

Subs Not Used: Mawson, Whitehouse.

Goals: Shaw 9, Doughty 43, Shaw 49.

Torquay: Rice, Mansell, Ellis, Todd, Nicholson, Stevens (Mohamed 46), Hargreaves, Hockley, Zebroski (Banim 50), Sills (D'Sane 50), Phillips.

Subs Not Used: Andersen, Robertson.

Booked: Hockley, Hargreaves.

Goals: Phillips 66, 74.

Att: 894.

Ref: C Pawson (Sheffield).

To say I'm a little Fcuked off is an understatement. It's bad enough crawling around like a cripple, but then they lose to Halifax :o:D

Halifax 3-2 Torquay Utd

A Jon Shaw brace helped Halifax stave off a late comeback as they beat promotion hopefuls Torquay.

Shaw opened the scoring when he headed home Matt Doughty's cross from 12 yards and Doughty made it 2-0 as he blasted home a long-range strike.

The Gulls pulled a goal back when Lee Phillips smashed in from 25 yards and the same player fired home from inside the box to set up a tense finale.

Halifax: Legzdins, Clarke, Wright, Quinn (Harban 62), Doughty, Griffith, Heslop, Davies, Shaw, Killeen, Forrest (Kearney 90), Harban (Campbell 81).

Torquay: Rice, Mansell, Ellis, Todd, Nicholson, Stevens (Mohamed 46), Hargreaves, Hockley, Zebroski (Banim 50), Sills (D'Sane 50), Phillips.

To say I'm a little Fcuked off is an understatement. It's bad enough crawling around like a cripple, but then they lose to Halifax :o:D

:D Who's crawling round like a criple ? :D

Not the best of results for the promotion push !!

Halifax 3-2 Torquay Utd

I've done a disc in my back, bloody agony. Will cure it with some Cider on Saturday though. :D

Halifax 3-2 Torquay Utd

I've done a disc in my back, bloody agony. Will cure it with some Cider on Saturday though. :D

Traditional / organic medicine works well doesn't it :D

Lillipad hoping is down to the minimum then ? :D

Edited by chavy

Halifax 3-2 Torquay Utd

Lillipad hoping is down to the minimum then ? :D

I am off to the Chiropractor again later, and then will have to haul myself for a quick refreshment.

Halifax 3-2 Torquay Utd

Lillipad hoping is down to the minimum then ? B)

I am off to the Chiropractor again later, and then will have to haul myself for a quick refreshment.

Has he moved his practice to Soi 8 then ? :D

York 1-0 Torquay (1-2)

Torquay United survived a frantic last half hour to book a trip to Wembley in the final of the FA Trophy.

Having earned a 2-0 lead in last week's semi-final first leg at Plainmoor, it went to plan for the Gulls at Bootham Crescent in a goalless first half.

York then took the lead just past the hour when the ball went in off visiting defender Chris Todd after Martin Rice had saved from Onome Sodje.

But Paul Buckle's Gulls held firm to book a meeting with Ebbsfleet in May.

Ebbsfleet booked their place with a 1-1 draw at Aldershot, defender Michael Bostwick's last-minute equaliser ensuring that the 3-1 first-leg lead they opened up a week ago would be enough to earn a first trip to Wembley

A bad result, however at least we are off to Wembley :o