The Torquay United Thread

mrtoad

Exeter 1-2 Torquay

Chris Zebroski's last-minute strike gave Torquay a one-goal advantage over Exeter in the first leg of their Blue Square Premier play-off semi-final.

After Exeter dominated the first half, Torquay went ahead when Lee Phillips' cross was headed home by Tim Sills.

The Grecians' Wayne Carlisle then had an effort ruled out for offside, before he fired a half-volley in to equalise.

But when City keeper Paul Jones blasted a clearance straight at Zebroski, the striker kept his cool to fire home.

The second leg will take place at Plainmoor on Monday, kicking off at 1945 BST.

Exeter: Jones, Tully, Matthew Taylor, Seaborne (Logan 74), Friend, Gill, Edwards, Harley, Carlisle (Elam 88), Stansfield (Watson 78), Moxey.

Subs Not Used: Marriott, Cozic.

Torquay: Rayner, Robertson, Nicholson, Todd, Mansell, Woods, Hargreaves, Adams (D'Sane 90), Zebroski, Sills, Phillips (Hill 85).

Subs Not Used: Rice, Bedeau, Stevens.

Booked: Robertson, Zebroski, Sills.

Att: 8,276

Ref: G Scott

:o

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Torquay v Exeter (agg 2-1)

Steve Woods, Chris Hargreaves and Lee Mansell should be fit enough to keep their places for Torquay's play-off semi-final second leg against Exeter.

It means United boss Paul Buckle selects from a fully-fit squad.

Exeter hope to be able to call upon striker Steve Basham as they look to overcome a 2-1 deficit in Torquay.

Richard Logan or Ben Watson could be handed a start in attack as Tisdale seeks to reach the play-off final for the second year running.

Good luck to them tonight, it's going to be a tough game. Should be a full house for the game though. Sadly MR T is not going to be there :o

TORQUAY'S JOB ONLY HALF DONE

ROSS REID AT PLAINMOOR

11:00 - 03 May 2008 Western Morning News

Torquay United top-scorer Tim Sills agrees with the Gulls' boss Paul Buckle that their Blue Square Premier play-off semi final against Exeter City is still at the "half-time" stage.

Buckle's United side take a 2-1 advantage into Monday's all-ticket return leg at Plainmoor (12.30pm) following Chris Zebroski's last-minute winner at St James' Park, after Wayne Carlisle had cancelled out Sills' first-half headed opener.

That goal on Thursday took Sills' tally for the season to 22 goals while on-loan Millwall forward Zebroski now has 19. It also rattled up United's impressive goal haul for the season to 102 in all competitions.

Sills admitted: "I wanted to reach the 20-goal target and I have done that and now, obviously, I want to add to it again - and there is the opportunity.

"It's always important to set yourself targets. I did that, kept it to myself, but once I hit the 20-mark I was happy to talk about it. I am really happy to get to 22. The enjoyment of scoring never diminishes.

"I also think that Chris has done really well to get 19 goals, especially from the wing for most of the season.

"When you consider he plays out there and he has got that many and the fact that he contributes so much and sets up other people's goals, it's impressive to say the least.

"Some people might have thought that he went through a little bit of a dry spell but his work-rate has never dropped and, when you work as hard as he does, then something is going to drop for you in the end and he has been scoring again on a regular basis.

"He deserves that many goals for all his hard work, his endeavour."

Sills is hoping for another sell-out occasion at Plainmoor on Monday, after being wowed by the atmosphere at St James' Park.

He said: "The atmosphere was brilliant, it was rocking up there - and we want that sort of atmosphere recreated at our place on Monday, when we will have the home support. I know that will lift the lads."

As for Monday's meeting, Sills says: "It must be apparent to everyone that we are only halfway in this tie. We will not allow ourselves to get too carried away with anything, we will be treating it exactly as we would in a match, the job is still not finished, it's only half done.

"There's another leg - another half, if you like - to come. We are totally focused on that, Monday's match, nothing else."

One matter likely to cause distraction, however, is Buckle's allegation that Exeter fans spat at him as he went down the tunnel following the final whistle. The incident sparked a fracas among players outside the Torquay changing room as the mood turned ugly inside St James's Park.

Buckle fumed: "I was spat at, there were people spitting at me for some unknown reason. I don't know why they did that and I am not happy about. It is disgusting but some people are low and if that is what they want to do then good luck to them. I have got more important things to worry about than those idiots."

Torquay 1-4 Exeter (3-5 agg)

By Oliver Brett

Exeter staged a remarkable comeback against arch-rivals Torquay to reach the Blue Square Premier play-off final.

Leading 2-1 going into the semi-final second leg, Kevin Hill's second-half strike gave Torquay a two-goal cushion.

But substitute Ryan Harley pulled one back on 70 minutes and Ben Watson's penalty put the visitors ahead.

Richard Logan's header and Wayne Carlisle's shot sealed a stunning victory, and Exeter will face Burton or Cambridge at Wembley on 18 May.

After a dour first period, the match burst into life with five second-half goals.

Fine play from Tim Sills set up the 59th-minute goal that seemed to have sent Torquay to Wembley.

Sills beat two men on the right wing, crossed to Chris Zebroski, who in turn played in Hill on the left, and the midfielder's assured strike gave Paul Jones in the Exeter goal no chance.

But barely 10 minutes later, substitute Harley fired through a sea of bodies to set up a frenetic finale at Plainmoor.

The Grecians suddenly found a new lease of life and at the same time Simon Rayner in the Torquay goal began to struggle.

He and Zebroski clumsily tried to stop Logan in the area, referee Chris Sarginson pointed to the spot, and Watson's cool penalty made it level on aggregate.

With extra-time looming, Carlisle crossed from the right for Logan to beat Rayner at his far post, and Carlisle then put added gloss on the scoreline in injury time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torquay: Rayner, Woods, Todd, Robertson, Mansell, Nicholson, Adams, Hargreaves, Hill, Zebroski, Sills. Subs: Rice, Hockley, Stevens, Phillips, D'Sane.

Exeter: Jones, Tully, Seaborne, Matthew Taylor, Friend, Cozic, Gill, Edwards, Moxey, Logan, Stansfield. Subs: Marriott, Harley, Carlisle, Elam, Watson.

Referee: C Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Totally gutted by this result. :o

There will be one memeber of the Toad family who is happy, but I daren't phone him as I'm sure he'll be out with the <deleted> team that just won. :D

Anyway, I'll now wish Exeter all the best for the final and hope they go up as good for Football in the Westcountry.

I see Exeter will play Cambridge in the final then mate.

I bet it's hard to swallow after leading the pack for so long. There's always the trip up to Mansfield to look forward to next season :o

I see Exeter will play Cambridge in the final then mate.

I bet it's hard to swallow after leading the pack for so long. There's always the trip up to Mansfield to look forward to next season :o

Gutted, totally gutted.

However, we now have the FA Trophy to look forward to at the weekend, so maybe some silverware. I'd stillmuch prefer promotion though. As I said a long time ago, I could see this happening against Exeter in the play offs. Anyway, I do hope Exeter get the result and get promotion, as hard as it is to take.

Gulls boss targets Trophy victory

Torquay boss Paul Buckle says his side must focus on winning the FA Trophy final and put Monday's Blue Square Premier play-off defeat.

The Gulls face Ebbsfleet at Wembley five days after being dumped out of the play-offs by Devon-rivals Exeter City.

"The season's been alive all year. We had ourselves in the play-offs and we got ourselves into the Trophy final," Buckle told BBC Radio Devon.

"It's important we go to Wembley now and win it," he added.

I bloody well hope so.

Gulls boss targets Trophy victory

Torquay boss Paul Buckle says his side must focus on winning the FA Trophy final and put Monday's Blue Square Premier play-off defeat.

The Gulls face Ebbsfleet at Wembley five days after being dumped out of the play-offs by Devon-rivals Exeter City.

"The season's been alive all year. We had ourselves in the play-offs and we got ourselves into the Trophy final," Buckle told BBC Radio Devon.

"It's important we go to Wembley now and win it," he added.

I bloody well hope so.

:o

Ebbsfleet.....I thought they were a disaster waiting to happen. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

What shit way to end a decent season. Lose the play-off semi final to the scum, and then lose the FA trophy to Ebbsfleet. Oh well, always next year, and it was still much better than the last season.

Will Buckle be getting the wrath of "The Toad" if there is a poor start? :o

• 1 month later...

After the dissapointment of last seasons end, it's time to get Devons finest team back up on the front page again.

Looks like another good season again, lots of good quality players bought in, just hope that this time they can go all the way. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Lots of good fixtures coming up next season. Looks more like the old 4th division this time around.

It's going to be competative, but I reckon that we have a good squad this year. Hopefully, one that has learnt from the mistakes of the last season.

• 3 weeks later...

Buckle feels Gulls are stronger

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle feels the squad he has assembled for the new Blue Square Premier campaign is stronger than ever.

Buckle has brought in eight new faces, including Lee Hodges from Plymouth and Forest Green's Michael Brough, and has got rid of Lee Phillips and Kevin Hill.

He told BBC Radio Devon: "I think my job was to improve it from last season.

"It was very difficult because we had a fantastic season, but I honestly believe we've done that."

Buckle says he has faith that the new men brought into the squad will push Torquay back towards the Football League.

"I trust the ones we've brought in. We've done our homework on them," he added.

Buckle feels Gulls are stronger

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle feels the squad he has assembled for the new Blue Square Premier campaign is stronger than ever.

Buckle has brought in eight new faces, including Lee Hodges from Plymouth and Forest Green's Michael Brough, and has got rid of Lee Phillips and Kevin Hill.

He told BBC Radio Devon: "I think my job was to improve it from last season.

"It was very difficult because we had a fantastic season, but I honestly believe we've done that."

Buckle says he has faith that the new men brought into the squad will push Torquay back towards the Football League.

"I trust the ones we've brought in. We've done our homework on them," he added.

You lads will be amongst the favourites MrT but I can't help but feel this coming seasons conference is the strongest so far. Last season The Gulls seemed to be so consistant but ran out of steam at the death.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's the start of the season once again, and I really hope we can go the distance this year. So close ot a double success last year, but in the end ended up with nothing. I have to agree with Chavy that it is going to be a very tight league, but it looks like Buckle has bought wisely and has retained the bulk of the squad. Would have been nice to have kept Zebroski, but not to be.

At least the club has a good sense of diretion and organisatio ow, and gredit has to go to the owners for putting all those wrongs from the 2006-2007 season right so quickly last season.

Torquay (Champions) and Oxford to go up this season. :o

Sills hopes to make flying start

10:00 - 08-August-2008

Western Morning News

TORQUAY United ace Tim Sills cannot wait for the new Blue Square Premier season to kick-off at Cambridgeshire club Histon tomorrow.

Sills top-scored for the Gulls last season with 22 goals and has already shown in pre-season – with a characteristic headed leveller against Coca-Cola League One side Bristol Rovers in a 1-1 draw at Plainmoor – that he has not lost his touch in front of goal.

However, the Torquay target man is not setting any targets as the new season gets underway against Histon at the Glassworld Stadium in Impington.

"Last season has been well documented," said Sills yesterday, referring to Torquay reaching the BSP play-off semi-finals and the FA Trophy final in May – and losing both. "We start this season with a blank sheet and move on. We were successful last season – apart from the last two weeks – and we know we have got to push on a bit further this season.

"It would be great to reach the Trophy final again and win it but the goal has always got to be success in the league and that will be the main focus again, starting at Histon."

One thing the 28-year-old former Hereford United, Oxford United and Aldershot Town ace is aiming for is a result at Histon. He said: "It's important we get off to a good start. Confidence in the squad is high, we have had a good pre-season. To be honest you get to close- season and have some time off and then start to miss football again. Now it's just around the corner.

"Usually it's a blazing hot day but, for once, this season, with the weather we have been having, that could be different, for a change. That would be nice."

As for Histon? "It's another blank sheet," states Sills. "We won 5-4 up there and then had a cagey 1-0 down here, and that probably goes to show you never can tell what's going to happen in football.

"There's no point in making predictions, it can all change on the day, all through the season, that's why it's football.

"All you can do is prepare as well as you possibly can do for it and I would concur with Bucks [manager Paul Buckle] in that we are better prepared this season than last.

"On a personal and team level, I think we are fitter and hungrier than at this stage last season."

Histon v Torquay

BLUE SQUARE PREMIER

Venue: Glass World Stadium Date: 9 August Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage: Live updates on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire 96FM and online

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Histon will hand a debut to forward Damien Reeves, while Craig Pope looks set to get the nod over Landre Oyebanjo at right-back.

Ben Coker, who agreed non-contract terms with the Stutes earlier this week, will also have to settle for a place on the substitutes' bench.

Torquay boss Paul Buckle has the luxury of a fully-fit squad to choose from.

Summer signing Lee Hodges is expected to be named on the bench as `emergency` back-up for goalkeeper Michael Poke.

Histon boss Steve Fallon told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire:

"We're looking forward to Torquay, they're one of the favourites, one of the big boys in the league, and if we can turn them over it will give everyone at the club a big boost.

"We've got a very difficult start, once again we've got to prove that we're capable of living with these supposed 'big' teams."

Torquay manager Paul Buckle told BBC Radio Devon:

"We've brought players into the football club who are very good on the ball so we can mix things up.

"If we need to be in a battle at times we'll be ready for that and if teams sit off us and we need to get it down and pass it we'll do that."

Fallon is treading on thin ice if he's gonna be talking like that for the rest of the season ...... " supposed " " big teams " is abit like the red rag & bull treatment.....nothing like getting the opposition going is there ?

Fallon is treading on thin ice if he's gonna be talking like that for the rest of the season ...... " supposed " " big teams " is abit like the red rag & bull treatment.....nothing like getting the opposition going is there ?

Yeah, hopefully he'll have a bit of egg on his face after we turn them over today. :o

Histon 1-1 Torquay

Nathaniel Knight-Percival's last-gasp header saw Histon deny Torquay victory.

The Gulls almost went ahead on three minutes when Tim Sills' rasping shot flew wide from 20 yards and Wayne Carlisle also went close.

Torquay did go ahead when Sills scored from the spot after Craig Pope fouled Danny Stevens.

Gulls keeper Michael Poke made several fine saves and a Damien Reeves header hit the bar before Knight-Percival scored from close range late on.

Histon: Naisbitt, Pope, Mitchell-King, Langston, Gwillim (Okay 32), Midson (Nightingale 76), Kennedy (Andrews 63), Murray, Knight-Percival, Wright, Reeves.

Subs Not Used: Oyebanjo, Ada.

Booked: Kennedy, Pope, Mitchell-King.

Goals: Knight-Percival 89.

Torquay: Poke, Mansell, Todd, Hargreaves, Hodges, Carlisle, Wroe, Thompson, Stevens (Carayol 68), Sills, Benyon (DSane 65).

Subs Not Used: Brough, Nicholson, Green.

Booked: Thompson.

Goals: Sills 55 pen.

Att: 928.

Ref: M Naylor (Sheffield).

<deleted>, can't be bothered to elaborate.

Wrexham had a great start today, 5-0 against Stevenage, who are one of the stronger sides. They have made their intent very clear, not that I'm suprised.

Torquay 2-1 Woking

Wayne Carlisle's winner eight minutes from time sealed a thrilling 2-1 victory for Torquay against Woking.

The visitors dominated proceedings in the first half, but had only Giuseppe Sole's 33rd minute free-kick to show for their efforts.

The Gulls levelled early in the second half when Michael Poke fed Elliot Benyon to drive home powerfully.

And the visitors were punished when Benyon turned provider for Carlisle to strike home from the edge of the area.

Torquay: Poke, Mansell, Todd, Hargreaves, Hodges (Nicholson 20), Carlisle, Thompson, Wroe, Stevens (Carayol 57), Sills, Benyon (Green 90).

Subs Not Used: Brough, DSane.

Booked: Wroe, Hargreaves.

Goals: Benyon 60, Carlisle 82.

Woking: Warner, Mondon-Konan, Hutchinson, Miles, Bunce, Ledgister, Pattison, Vernazza, El Kholti, Sole (Quamina 63), Marum (Yorkie 62).

Subs Not Used: Gindre, Lorraine, Lambu.

Booked: Quamina, Pattison.

Goals: Sole 35.

Att: 2,881.

Ref: J Farries (Oxfordshire

A bit more like it, and a reasonable crowd for a mid week fixture. Let's have another win on MOnday against Ebbsfleet, we owe then one for last season.

Edited by mrtoad

<deleted>!!!! :o:D

So much for the stronger team this season, as said by Buckle.

Crawley Town 3-1 Torquay

Jamie Cook's 77th-minute penalty finally saw off Torquay in a fiery game which saw seven players booked.

The home side went ahead through Jon-Paul Pittman's close-range finish from a Bradley Thomas cross.

Thomas Pinault's penalty doubled the lead after Lee Mansell fouled Dannie Bulman in the box.

Roscoe D'Sane's left-footed shot soon after the restart gave Torquay hope but Cook netted from the spot after he was fouled by Mustapha Carayol.

Crawley Town: Rayner, Rents, Weatherstone, Wright, Forrest (Cook 74), Bulman, Pinault, Thomas (Wilson 84), Killeen, Pittman (Rankin 85), Quinn.

Subs Not Used: Stevens, Carter.

Booked: Quinn, Pinault, Pittman.

Goals: Pittman 9, Pinault 32 pen, Cook 77 pen.

Torquay: Poke, Mansell, Brough, Hargreaves (Adams 80), Nicholson, Carlisle, Thompson, Hodges, Green (Sills 46), DSane (Benyon 84), Carayol.

Subs Not Used: Stevens, Ellis.

Booked: Thompson, Mansell, Green, Brough.

Goals: DSane 49.

Att: 1,154.

Ref: D Sheldrake (Midlands).

oh dear mate :o !!

This season seems to be an uphill struggle compared to last season. This time round makes for good entertainment with alot of sides looking very strong.

Though Mansfield lost for the 1st time against Barrow !! Must of been a culture shock going way up north for the boys & big Billy McCewan.