The Torquay United Thread

mrtoad

HARGREAVES FAITH IN TORQUAY FIGHT

BILL SOBEY AND ROSS REID

Western Morning News

11:00 - 21 November 2007

Torquay United midfielder Chris Hargreaves believes that the Gulls' 3-2 Blue Square Premier victory at Crawley Town last Saturday saw the kind of performance that leads to promotion up the leagues.

Paul Buckle's men had to dig deep in the final 20 minutes in Sussex as the home side mounted a spirited second- half fightback, after a clinical opening spell from the Gulls.

First-half goals from Lee Mansell, Mark Ellis and Tim Sills seemed to put the points in the bag for the Devon men, but an immediate response after the interval through Crawley's Magno Vieira and a Chris Robertson own goal made the latter stages a testing time for Torquay.

However, the Gulls survived and took what Hargreaves (pictured left). considers to be three very important league points. He said: "It was three vital points, there were a lot of people tracking back, there were clearances, and that's what you've got to do sometimes.

"If we're going to go up in divisions, that's how you do it. It might not always be pretty, but the three points are that important. And you start to think that in a game like that. Even though we could break and hit them hard, you have to hold on for the three points which are vital for us."

Following their FA Cup heroics against Yeovil Town the preceding week was always going to be difficult for Torquay, according to Hargreaves Although he was pleased that his side had avoided the dreaded Cup hangover, he felt that they had missed a chance to make a statement of intent in the league.

He said: "I thought at half-time that it was good that, after that victory in the Cup, we are stamping our authority back on the league. I'm disappointed in a way because, if we'd really have been at it, it could have been a 5-0 and we could have shown everyone that we're still the top dogs.

Hargreaves also expects the Gulls' young squad to learn from the experience, and he hopes they can take more of their chances as a team and improve their second-half displays.

Hargreaves admitted: "I think we'll learn from that. We were so much in control in the first half, even though we hadn't played that well. The chances that we missed at 3-0 could have been costly, because in the second half we just looked a little bit sloppy in certain areas.

"At 3-1 we had some chances again, clear-cut chances which they didn't have, and then we scored a really unusual own goal which meant that it was tight at the end."

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who against ? I haven't seen the results from non league yet :o

Your signature MrT ?? Is that Welsh ? or were you worse the wear when writing it ? :D

Torquay 2-0 Woking

Torquay closed the gap on Aldershot at the top of the Blue Square Premier to one point as they beat 10-man Woking.

Elliot Benyon struck in the 22nd minute to give the home side a deserved lead, steering home Martin Rice's long ball.

Woking's task was then made even harder when striker Marvin Morgan was issued a straight red card for a reckless two-footed lunge in the 39th minute.

And Torquay doubled their advantage in the 59th minute when Chris Hargreaves headed home and sealed the win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torquay: Rice, Robertson, Todd, Ellis, Nicholson, Zebroski (Wring 90), Mansell, Hargreaves, Stevens, Sills, Benyon (Phillips 83).

Subs Not Used: Rayner, Hockley, Welsh.

Booked: Robertson, Zebroski, Ellis.

Goals: Benyon 23, Hargreaves 60.

Woking: Gindre, Lorraine (Marum 65), Hutchinson, Gasson, Green, Lambu (Maledon 60), James, Quamina, Pattison, Sole (Gatting 72), Morgan.

Subs Not Used: Bunce, Ruby.

Sent Off: Morgan (39).

Booked: Gasson.

Att: 3,275.

Ref: R Merchant (Staffordshire).

The signature is Cornish. :D

The signature is Cornish. :D

Just what I thought......primative form of Welsh :o

Great result against the cards, who's top now?

:D

Aldershot are still a point clear at persent, but more than happy with the progress that we have made this year. What a total change from the dark days of last year.

Have a look at this from last year. No wonder we ended up in the conference.

Chris Roberts (chairman)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Chris Roberts was the Chairman of Torquay United Football Club between October 2006 and February 2007.

Roberts and three other directors set up Torquay United Holdings Ltd to buy shares in October 2006 from Torquay United Football Club owner Mike Bateson over a four year deal. There was only one shareholder of Torquay United Holdings, Roberts' wife Michele. Bateston still "owned" the club by retaining a 51 per cent share. 34% of the club's shares were sold to the consortium [1].

It was suggested that he was more interested in buying a 12,000 all seater stadium (The Rec) than sorting out the problems on the pitch . This left Torquay United fans outraged.

His past career is heavily based in football having played in the Czech Republic when young, and performed various roles in the sport, such as being an advisor to FIFA and UEFA and being involved in the deal that brought Mark Viduka to Glasgow Celtic.

In November 2006, Roberts introduced a new initiative whereby he stated that he would sack Torquay players if they repeatedly tried to fool referees by diving.[2]

On November 27, 2006 Roberts appointed his friend from the Czech Republic, Lubos Kubik, as manager and Bateson's son-in-law, Richard Hancox as his assistant. Former manager Ian Atkins was offered the post of Director of Football, but decided against staying with the new regime.

On January 4, 2007 the Torquay United Supporters Trust released a press statement proposing a vote of no confidence in Roberts as chairman of the football club [3].

On February 6, 2007, Roberts appointed fan's favourite Colin Lee as the new director of football. Lee signed a three year deal and said "Over the next 3 years I intend to implement a new blue print for the football department of Torquay United to put us on a par with comparable sized clubs higher up the Football League ladder." Lee followed this by appointing former player Keith Curle as the new head coach.

Amid growing criticism from all angles (including fans, club directors, the former owner, the media and local politicians), Roberts finally resigned as chairman on February 21, 2007.

Than fuc_k for that, but he is responsible for us being in the conference. When he took over we were 7th in the table, after he started inteferring we ended up bottom. What a farce.

Gulls boss has sympathy for Cards

Source: BBC

Torquay boss Paul Buckle had sympathy for Woking striker Marvin Morgan, who was sent off in the first half of the Gulls' 2-0 win on Saturday.

The result lifted the second-placed Gulls to within one point of Blue Square Premier leaders Aldershot.

"It was a poor decision to send the Woking lad off - if one of my players had gone for that, I would be devastated," Buckle said.

"This is a competitive game, and it wasn't an out of order challenge."

Meanwhile, Torquay midfielder Darren Mullings and defender Paul Hinshelwood have joined Southern Premier Division side Tiverton Town on a month's loan.

"Darren and Paul need match practice - in four weeks at Tiverton they could play in up to eight matches," Buckle explained.

Torquay v Brighton

This will be a featured match on Saturday's Score (1430 GMT on BBCi/online) and Final Score (1630, BBC ONE/online).

Torquay have key striker Lee Phillips and club captain Steve Woods available again for the FA Cup second round tie.

Phillips and defender Woods are fit after hamstring problems but on-loan forward Chris Zebroski is suspended.

Brighton will be without on-loan midfielder George O'Callaghan, who is banned for three matches.

However, striker Alex Revell could come into contention after playing the full 90 minutes and scoring in the Seagulls reserves' draw at Millwall in midweek.

Shame that Turdvisions haven't got this game on. 2-0 to Torquay today. :o

An unlucky 2-0 reverse for the Gulls Mr. Toad.

Off topic Andy Cole made his full debut for Sunderland against Derby and I swear that he has less pace than Mr. Toad.

Well, if he has, then he really is faltering,as I never had any pace to lose in the first place. Although I have lots of skill :o

Dissapointed that we didn't get into the 3rd round, but I know it's a cliche, but we really need to concentrate on the league and get promoted at the firts attempt. That for me is the most important.

Are the Gulls still after that Spanish winger Manuel, or is that BBC rumours site spouting crap again?

Not this season, more likely that was last season when we had the nutter chairman. :o

We might be in for Andy Cole though, as we are short of a waterboy at present.

Buckle eyes League after Cup exit

Torquay boss Paul Buckle says his team will now set their sights on returning to League Two after their FA Cup exit.

"It's good that we have had that sort of examination. It will stand us in good stead for what's to come," he said after the 2-1 defeat by Brighton.

"It's a cliche to say we can now concentrate on getting promoted but that's what this season is all about."

Brighton boss Dean Wilkins said: "They are a very good side. I can't see them playing in Blue Square next season."

I bloody well hope so. :o

GULLS GO OUT WITH PRIDE

11:00 - 03 December 2007 Western Morning News

There was passion aplenty at Plainmoor on Saturday. But ultimately, passion was not enough to see Torquay through to the lucrative third-round stage of the FA Cup.

Despite dominating for much of the game, especially in the first half, they were unable to turn their possession and dominance into goals.

A crowd of 4,101 was at Plainmoor in the hope of seeing Torquay repeat their giant-killing feat of the last round, when they took Yeovil Town apart in a televised Westcountry derby. However, the Gulls could not create anything like enough goalscoring opportunities.

In the end, two classy second-half strikes from veteran striker Nicky Forster were enough to see Coca-Cola League One Brighton and Hove Albion through to the third round, in which they will have a home tie against Mansfield Town.

Bitterly for Torquay, the two goals were Forster's sum total contribution all afternoon, apart from a yellow card for encroaching on a second-half free- kick, as the Sussex side were made to work very hard for their passage through to the next round.

In a high-tempo Cup tie, Torquay showed they can live with teams further up the pyramid than their current home in the Blue Square Premier.

If Brighton were anticipating a straightforward win to get them through to round three, they were given a rude awakening right at the start of the game, as they were unable to get out of their half for the first five minutes.

Torquay set out their stall with an attacking line-up, refusing to amend their playing style to accommodate the higher-league opposition. Returning striker Lee Phillips made his comeback from injury on the right-hand side of what was effectively a striking quartet, with Elliot Benyon and Tim Sills playing down the middle and Danny Stevens on the left.

Stevens, all 5ft 1in of him, proved he can play with the big boys, making sure that the Seagulls' right-back Andy Whing had a torrid first hour of the game, before the diminutive winger was surprisingly substituted shortly after Brighton's first goal.

Stevens was behind Torquay's best chance of the half, cutting inside central defender Adam El-Abd after 44 minutes to cross to Lee Mansell, whose goalbound header was blocked. Such was Whing's discomfort that he even started responding to the taunts of the Plainmoor crowd, getting involved in some verbals with fans during a break in play.

With Chris Hargreaves in imperious form in the centre of the park alongside Mansell, the Gulls took the game to the opposition, despite challenging conditions. While the squalling rain held off for the first half, Brighton won the toss and made Torquay play into the gusting wind howling towards the family stand. Such was the strength of it, Martin Rice's goal-kicks struggled to make it across the half-way line, being blown back towards him.

Despite the wind, Torquay had the best of the first period, with Brighton's defence arguing between themselves and with eccentric punch-happy 'keeper Michel Kuipers. But, despite the hard work and trickery of Stevens and the direct running of Phillips on the right, they were unable to make their pressure tell.

Stevens had the Gulls' first chance of note just before the half-hour, with a shot just wide from 16 yards out. Three minutes later, Phillips latched on to a dinked Sills cross to head just wide.

A minute later, Benyon was unlucky when he charged down a Kuipers clearance after an under-hit backpass. Unfortunately for Benyon, his block cannoned back into the former Dutch Marine and out into the middle of the park, where it fell kindly for the Seagulls' midfield.

The visitors had a chance to take the lead after 40 minutes, when Dean Hammond shot from 20 yards, but his shot was saved by the careful Rice in the Torquay goal, as was a header from striker Bas Savage four minutes later.

The two sides went into half-time goalless but it was telling to see the difference between the teams - Torquay upbeat and Brighton holding an impromptu post-mortem.

After the break, however, it all changed. Brighton started showing little snatches of why they are unbeaten in almost six weeks in League One, currently laying seventh in the table.

In a subtle nod to the Gulls' first- half efforts, the visitors changed their formation, turning their flat midfield into a diamond. That created problems for Torquay, who struggled to pick up Jake Robinson in the hole behind the striker.

The plan played dividends. Just after the hour, Dean Cox, who was getting more time and space in the Brighton midfield, picked up a deep Savage cross wide of the left-hand post and knocked a short cross back into the centre for the hitherto anonymous Forster to head into the right-hand corner of Rice's goal.

Torquay piled forward, with Ishmael Welsh and Tony Bedeau introduced for Stevens and Benyon. Tim Sills had a series of decent chances in the last ten minutes, including shooting just over under pressure from El-Abd. Then Phillips, moved into a central striking role, shot wide from eight yards after 89 minutes.

But it was not to be, as Forster put the boot in. Two minutes into injury time, Cox again got free in the midfield and sprung the Gulls' offside trap for Forster to calmly slot home past Rice. It ended Torquay's interest in the Cup and put Brighton in the draw for the third round.

Farsley Celtic 1-2 Torquay

Torquay cut the gap at the top of the Blue Square Premier after a narrow victory away at lowly Farsley Celtic.

On-loan striker Chris Zebrowski opened the scoring early on, tapping in after Lee Phillips' shot had hit the bar.

The hosts nearly levelled twice when Steve Torpey headed against a post and James Knowles shot struck the woodwork.

Danny Stevens made them pay by doubling Torquay's advantage from the edge of the box, before Roy Stamer grabbed a consolation with an 18-yard volley.

Farsley Celtic: Morgan, Downes, Crossley, McNiven, Ryan Serrant, Knowles (Billy 87), Iqbal, Stamer, Reeves (Bambrook 73), Torpey (Watson 87), Tuck.

Subs Not Used: Grant, Allanson.

Goals: Stamer 78.

Torquay: Rice, Robertson, Woods, Todd, Nicholson (Hockley 88), Stevens (Benyon 81), Mansell, Hargreaves, Zebroski (Bedeau 89), Sills, Phillips.

Subs Not Used: Rayner, Welsh.

Goals: Zebroski 6, Stevens 59.

Att: 717

Ref: P Quinn (Middlesborough).

The gaps down to four points now, with a game in hand. :o

Buckle proud of Gulls after win

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle praised his players' attitude after they won 2-1 at Farsley Celtic.

The win propelled the Gulls to second in the Blue Square Premier, just four points behind leaders Aldershot.

He told his club's website: "Conditions were tough. The pitch was rock hard in places, but the referee said it was okay and that was good enough for us.

"The players were mentally tough. I asked them to stand up and be counted and they responded."

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle praised his players' attitude after they won 2-1 at Farsley Celtic.

The win propelled the Gulls to second in the Blue Square Premier, just four points behind leaders Aldershot.

He told his club's website: "Conditions were tough. The pitch was rock hard in places, but the referee said it was okay and that was good enough for us.

"The players were mentally tough. I asked them to stand up and be counted and they responded."

Aren't Farsley Celtic supposed to be changing their name so people can actually associate where they come from ? I beleive to some thing like Leeds City , Leeds Celtic, Farsley Leeds. This I read on the non league site.

Aren't Farsley Celtic supposed to be changing their name so people can actually associate where they come from ? I beleive to some thing like Leeds City , Leeds Celtic, Farsley Leeds. This I read on the non league site.

Yeah, I did hear something about that. To be honest, I would have never know where the place was until I saw that article somewhere.

Anothe rgood win at the weekend in the FA trophy keeps the winning mentality going. Been a good weekend, with my two teams winning. :o

Buckle on Gulls' upward curve

By Pete Oliver

Six months into his revival mission at Torquay United, manager Paul Buckle has paused to take stock.

A rare breather at close to the half-way point in the Blue Square Premier programme has given Buckle the chance to review and preview.

It will have made for a pleasant exercise following an impressive start to the Gulls' first ever campaign in non-league football.

Yet it was not just a session of back-slapping when Buckle gathered his players together to review their progress.

He told BBC Sport: "If you have got anything about you as a player, coach or manager, you do assess how things are going.

"I have said to the players that they are a new group and the club is building but we have fast-tracked it so far and we need to keep raising the bar and trying to move forward."

Buckle took over with Torquay at their lowest ebb following last season's relegation, which was overseen by three managers and as many chairman in a catalogue of calamities.

The former Torquay midfielder started off with just four players but with new owners on board recruited 18 new faces to put together a squad which will resume league duty on Boxing Day challenging for an instant return to League Two.

I believe we have got a group of players who don't want to rest on their laurels

"There was a great disappointment when the club went down. But there were also theories that the club would go under, because it was in such a bad state," Buckle said.

"Once the new consortium took over there was hope straight away and a lot of gloom and doom lifted.

"It was a terrible feeling to go out of the League but the good to come out of it was the consortium and the staff and the players the club has now and the fans have really responded."

Average crowds are up at Plainmoor, where Torquay have won eight of their ten league games and where they also knocked Yeovil Town out of the FA Cup before losing to Brighton.

The Gulls, who are also still in the FA Trophy, were the first team in the country to reach 50 goals with Tim Sills, Chris Zebroski and Lee Phillips leading the flow.

All three were among Buckle's summer recruits as he meticulously pieced together his backroom staff and playing squad following his arrival from Exeter City, where he had been player-coach.

Once the new consortium took over there was hope straight away

"In those eight weeks of pre-season we worked tirelessly to bring the right people in. Knowing Torquay and Devon like I do, I knew we needed to do that," Buckle added.

"You not only need the right player, but the right person because the right person makes a conscious effort to do the right things."

Torquay's geographical position - not to mention their recent history - is not always a big draw for potential recruits but Buckle has overcome all the hurdles left lying in his path from last season's debacle.

The 37-year-old, whose career also took in spells with Brentford and Colchester, is understood to be in line for a new long-term contract to secure his future.

The transformation he has overseen has been impressive and things have moved on quicker than expected with the Gulls just four point behind league leaders Aldershot with a game in hand.

We need to keep raising the bar and trying to move forward

And having come this far, Buckle does not want the momentum to slow in the quest for a promotion place.

He said: "When the club asked me to take over and told me what they were looking for, the target was mid-table.

"That was a realistic target because of the state the club was in. It wanted to get back on its feet and wanted a team to compete.

"In the first half of the season I think we have done more than that and now it's about whether we are happy with that and we just coast, or do we step forward and better ourselves."

Buckle added: "I believe we have got a group of players who don't want to rest on their laurels, but want to go forward and succeed.

"In football you can't rest. You have to have your eye on the next game and the next training session. We have got to head for the end of the season and try our utmost to be successful."

I see it's the big "derby" game on boxing day MrT :D

Yes, hope we beat the jumped up little shites. For some reason they beleive that they are a bigger club than Torquay. :o:D

Anywy, should be a good game, and I hope that by the end of boxing day I will be drunk with the happiness of victory for both of my teams. :D

I quite enjoyed it down there when I went. Nice little ground & all that. The only thing that sticks in my mind was the club mascot being so hyperactive it was unbelievable. They should have given him a kit & put him in the 1st team.

I quite enjoyed it down there when I went. Nice little ground & all that. The only thing that sticks in my mind was the club mascot being so hyperactive it was unbelievable. They should have given him a kit & put him in the 1st team.

Which one Chavy, St James Park or Plainmoor.

Actually, Exeters ground is pretty decent now with the two new stands there. Had many an enjoyable afternoon and evening watching games there as well.

Exeter's place. Now they've built those new stands it does look respectable now.

There a bit limited in what they can do there now, as the old main stand backs on to a road/railway line and the away end also backs onto a road. They certainly did a good job of the two new stands though. It's quite a decent little ground to be fair.